Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

No more P-Log for me

iProVid

Reaction score
Hi, I've been flying the Anafi for over a year now, I read all about it and have used P-Log from the start, but I always struggled to get a decent looking image from it. I persevered, as I use Log in my regular video work which preserves highlights and gives me a chance to get good images from a shoot. I do corporate video, big stores, warehouses, that kind of thing.

I found a collection of P-Lut specific LUT files that had french names, some of them worked, but it was not good, blacks were washed out, colours never came back and when they did there was a gloomy cast on them, pushing it too far made banding, it was always difficult. But then after struggling with hundreds of files from the Anafi I tried using the Normal mode rather than P-Log, and immediately all the problems were solved.

The solution? using PRO mode for the ISO and shutter speed.

So if anyone is using P-log and getting good results, fair play to you, tell us how you are doing it. But for anyone who was like me, thinking Log has to be better, just try the combination of Normal plus the PRO mode and set your shutter and ISO manually.

I really liked the P-log.
I use 2 types of video editing software: Grassvalley EDIUS (paid) and Blackmagic Davinci Resolve (also free)
I put LUT templates on them (differently, of course) and fine tune the dark, medium and light parts and the colour richness.

My favourite LUT template: DJI_Phantom4_DLOG2Rec709.cube

This captures the warm yellowish green of the parrot and gives a near realistic image. The kind that Anafi doesn't.
Plus, in the middle of my Anafi images, there's a barely noticeable, but still visible, circular area with a slightly warmer tint than the edges of the image, so I created an effect that you just throw on the video and it's done. I drew a circle as a mask, set the edges to very blurry, and set the colour temperature inside the circle to cooler.

Attachments

• P-log.jpg
    P-log.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Anafi LUT.jpg
    Anafi LUT.jpg
    343.4 KB · Views: 11
  • DJI Phantom LUT.jpg
    DJI Phantom LUT.jpg
    321.1 KB · Views: 11
  • DJI Phantom LUT correction.jpg
    DJI Phantom LUT correction.jpg
    400.7 KB · Views: 12
  • No LUT_only correction.jpg
    No LUT_only correction.jpg
    751.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Hi, I've been flying the Anafi for over a year now, I read all about it and have used P-Log from the start, but I always struggled to get a decent looking image from it. I persevered, as I use Log in my regular video work which preserves highlights and gives me a chance to get good images from a shoot. I do corporate video, big stores, warehouses, that kind of thing.

I found a collection of P-Lut specific LUT files that had french names, some of them worked, but it was not good, blacks were washed out, colours never came back and when they did there was a gloomy cast on them, pushing it too far made banding, it was always difficult. But then after struggling with hundreds of files from the Anafi I tried using the Normal mode rather than P-Log, and immediately all the problems were solved.

The solution? using PRO mode for the ISO and shutter speed.

So if anyone is using P-log and getting good results, fair play to you, tell us how you are doing it. But for anyone who was like me, thinking Log has to be better, just try the combination of Normal plus the PRO mode and set your shutter and ISO manually.

Very much agree with you. I didn't persist long with P-log - in fact gave up on it fairly quickly to be honest. PRO mode with ISO and shutter speed set manually gives me good results that I'm happy with!

This is my anafi p-log footage before and after post, but without x-rite colorchecker passport vedio, I need one next time.

Amateur users usually do not need to use LOG. The use of logarithmic bracketing gives professional users the opportunity to create their own individual colour scheme. It is only recommended if you are using the footage to make some kind of film, commercial or wedding film. Then you can match the colours of the drone footage to the colours of the ground cameras.
Only use it if you know what it's for.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut