Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Poor filming of a bridge, need advice

justDee

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I'm posting this footage, realizing it's not very good at all. It was windy as all get out the other day, so that didn't help, but bottom line, I didn't have a clue on how to film this old bridge. I hadn't seen the bridge in years and my wife reminded me of it when we were trying to think of somewhere new to fly and film. I had hoped, before I actually arrived and saw the condition of the area, to fly the Anafi underneath the bridge. The trees were too overgrown and I did not trust my piloting skills enough to attempt to make that flight. I kept it high overhead, with the swallows swarming and dive bombing the entire flight.
So my question to you more experienced pilots and film/photo buffs, how would you film this bridge? What angle, altitude, camera settings, etc., would you use in order to capture the beauty of this old, forgotten bridge?

Reactions: jefmob_1
Given the amount of overgrowth, I think you did a pretty good job. I would darken all the clips about 5% and bring up the saturation about 3%. The only other thing I could offer would be to get yourself underneath it and keep the Anafi very close while simply panning up, then turning 180 degrees and panning down. I think you would still get GPS where it's more open in the middle of the creek, but with all that metal I'd be worried about the WiFi link. I wouldn't let it get more than 30 feet away for those shots. IF you didn't get any warnings, then a little down river cruise very slowly while panning up as you went under would be cool. You might need waders. ;) Given the tree growth up through the bridge, a cruise through the bridge like you were driving on it would be too dangerous, IMO.

I like the tumbling photos in the beginning! BTW, what is your device?

Last edited:
Thanks Rocky for the input and compliments. I will attempt to follow your instructions on the film editing and see how it turns out. Should I try using an ND filter?
I will try and see how thick the undergrowth is along the bank, maybe I can make it on foot and get the footage?
I've also created a couple of flight plans and I will try to fly those this weekend.
The tumbling photos at the beginning. Again, thanks and glad you like the way it turned out. I took all of those pictures with my Canon 70D DSLR camera, did some creative editing, selected a sound track, and then utilized my CyberLink PowerDirector 17 software to put it all together and created the flowing slideshow. I am a PC guy, so I have a decent Dell tower that does the heavy lifting on all my editing needs.

Actually, it's quite good. I like the shot from 2:48-2:59. I think that (or a slightly more angle and maybe touch more altitude) is the shot for that bridge. Rocky is right that it is difficult because of all the overgrowth, but i think you did an awesome job. Keep it up.

Thanks Rocky for the input and compliments. I will attempt to follow your instructions on the film editing and see how it turns out. Should I try using an ND filter? ....
No, an ND filter is only for forcing the shutter speed lower to create a more cinematic effect on moving objects. To darken the video use -1 EV, or do it in post, which is what I usually do now that I understand my video editor better, plus I can change in 1% increments and see the result instantly.

Reactions: justDee
Nice video subject, and a good thread.

This is what I would try: I like shots, flying backwards, with the camera looking down maybe 30 degrees from vertical. Start ahead of the subject, so it is initially off camera. It provides some element of surprise. It puts the new stuff in the near field rather than far field. You could also add a slow vertical pan to near horizontal toward the end of the backwards run, to put the bridge in context. Using the Point of Interest feature in flight plan would be awesome. I don't care for the straight down perspective. I find it too restrictive.

After having lost two Bebops to carelessness / not thinking things through, I don't try things like flying in close quarters, under bridges etc. But that's just me. I can't afford to keep replacing my toys. And I would rather spend time flying than repairing.

Reactions: justDee
Nice video subject, and a good thread.

This is what I would try: I like shots, flying backwards, with the camera looking down maybe 30 degrees from vertical. Start ahead of the subject, so it is initially off camera. It provides some element of surprise. It puts the new stuff in the near field rather than far field. You could also add a slow vertical pan to near horizontal toward the end of the backwards run, to put the bridge in context. Using the Point of Interest feature in flight plan would be awesome. I don't care for the straight down perspective. I find it too restrictive.

After having lost two Bebops to carelessness / not thinking things through, I don't try things like flying in close quarters, under bridges etc. But that's just me. I can't afford to keep replacing my toys. And I would rather spend time flying than repairing.
I'll try the shot you mentioned. I'll create a flight plan for it, thanks.

Dee I enjoyed your video and will offer my 2 cents for what it is work.

You might want to consider shortening the length of the video. I would suggest 3 minutes so the viewer is left with wanting more. I also noticed that the majority of the shots are looking down. You might be able to stand on the new bridge and do a slow horizontal pan so the viewer can take in the old bridge. I would also suggest trying to get a shot of the old bridge as you are flying backward and raising the aircraft vertically at the same time.

I guess over all trying to include a variety of shot selections to give the video additional appeal is key. Your opening fly up was good but you might consider editing out some of the camera moves as you are adjusting the camera to the next shot. Those tend to detract from the videos overall presentation. You took advantage of the setting sun which adds a lot of visual appeal.

I look forward to seeing your next round. Thank you for sharing.

Sidd

Dee I enjoyed your video and will offer my 2 cents for what it is work.

You might want to consider shortening the length of the video. I would suggest 3 minutes so the viewer is left with wanting more. I also noticed that the majority of the shots are looking down. You might be able to stand on the new bridge and do a slow horizontal pan so the viewer can take in the old bridge. I would also suggest trying to get a shot of the old bridge as you are flying backward and raising the aircraft vertically at the same time.

I guess over all trying to include a variety of shot selections to give the video additional appeal is key. Your opening fly up was good but you might consider editing out some of the camera moves as you are adjusting the camera to the next shot. Those tend to detract from the videos overall presentation. You took advantage of the setting sun which adds a lot of visual appeal.

I look forward to seeing your next round. Thank you for sharing.

Sidd
Thanks Sidd, I made a second video and on that one I had made a couple of flight plans and used a couple of the flight modes, which took the camera action out of my hands and I think the footage is better. I want to try again on the bridge, others have given me some good advice as well, so I'll try to combine it all and see how I do. As far as standing on the new bridge, not only is it against the law here in Texas to be a pedestrian on a bridge, I doubt I'd survive with all of these crazy drivers around here.
:ROFLMAO:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut