Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Precise Home....does it work?

JDrone

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone is finding their Anafi precise home actually working?

I find as long as it does not drift backwards before it has marked the precise home location it will drop pretty darn close. Most times I found the Anafi after takeoff drifts back and it was out about a foot from the landing pad.

I know people find the Anafi home function lacking because they want all this hands free amazements but I like the fact that the primary function is return to you and then hover in place. The reasons are I may change my mind once it’s back close and do a little more photography or I might then want to finish in a hand catch. I launch often in tight spots that I don’t want a full landing to occur and allowing me to decide how to pilot the final descent let’s me make a real human assessment and decision. Robots are taking over enough for me currently lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I know people find the Anafi home function lacking because they want all this hands free amazements but I like the fact that the primary function is return to you and then hover in place. The reasons are I may change my mind once it’s back close and do a little more photography or I might then want to finish in a hand catch. I launch often in tight spots that I don’t want a full landing to occur and allowing me to decide how to pilot the final descent let’s me make a real human assessment and decision. Robots are taking over enough for me currently lol.

Your thoughts on the mavic air, I’m ready to buy the Anafi but keep going back and forth, I mainly want great video and pictures

Within about 20 cm of the launch spot most times! I like that I can take it down at the end, so I know absolutely that it's on the launchpad & not in long gras beside it.
I’m having trouble deciding between the Anafi or mavic air....thoughts?

video is better on the Anafi than the air for sure. Flight time is better on the Anafi. Noise is much quieter on the Anafi. If you want to avoid manditory no fly zones decided by DJI, well Anafi wins there too.
If you feel you must have a little longer range or must have crash avoidance, then air is better in those areas. Air is also probably a little more accurate on the return to home so if missing your takeoff spot by 2 feet or so is unacceptable... well again air does beat Anafi on those issues.

Usually pretty good, HOWEVER I would not rely on it if returning back to a tight landing spot closely surrounded by high objects - the reason is the Anafi can be several meters away from the take off point when doing a RTH and does not lock in until it 'sees' the precise landing spot - usually at about 4 meters. I use it occasionally when flying from the backyard but it can be hit or miss (with the trees or roof!)

tight squeeze.jpg

I believe that it is not a competition and there isn’t really a comparison as they operate completely different from each other. Neither one is “better”. It’s more about what you want to accomplish and what satisfies your drone itch. I care more about picture and video quality and don’t want props in my shot so the Anafi is the only drone that I like for close up work. I never fly it far away as I’ve got plenty of bigger drones that can do the fast follows and high aerial shots. But those UAVs can’t get low and close or under and point up like the Anafi can. Its a much more creative cinematic photo pilots drone that consistently produces the results I want for all my up close work including very safe indoor flight.

I can only speak from research (picking up my Anafi today) but based on what I've read there really isn't much that separates the Anafi from the Mavic Air as far as camera performance or performance in general. The two things that have been mentioned, obstacle avoidance (+1 for the MA) and NFZ (+1 for the Anafi), seem to be the major differences.

For me the front sensor used for obstacle avoidance wasn't that important. I really can't think of one time over the last year flying smaller drones where I have crashed head on into something, it's almost always a side collision. I fly line of sight so the frontal avoidance may be more important for someone that flies at greater distances where they will losses sight of the drone.

The NFZ was a much bigger issue for me given I live in the congested northeast U.S. where there are airports and heliports all over the place. I can get waivers to fly in restricted areas from the FAA so having to also get a release from DJI to fly in those space was overkill in my opinion.

...and yes, mine does. My drone came down from about 250 feet after a few minutes of filming and looked like it was going to hit the car next to the takeoff point. At about 15 feet, it corrected about 6 feet back to the takeoff point and landed about 12 inches off...right before I intervened... It's not perfect, but it's pretty dog on good.

There is a lot that separate them but it’s not obvious in the specs. I will still say that there is no better creative gimbal control in this price range period. DJI makes drones with cinema gimbals but it’s not in their consumer line. Props in the shot are a non starter for me and the Anafi is the only drone at this level that currently doesn’t this. I want the angle of the shot to be my choice and not a compromise of height relative to angle where everything is the same boring downward looks. Looking up 180 degrees is so cool and DPs love that low up angle for dancers and tight shots for music videos and skateboarders etc...That’s a spec that never makes a box cover or data sheet but is one of the most important. That’s why the comparison lines are somewhat misleading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut