Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Props overly sensitive to interference?

SkyHiBaby

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I was watching this video by the "QC Guy" on YouTube:
and @ 18:00 he mentions the motors on the Anafi may turn off because the props/motors have some kind of circuit protection that is overly sensitive if the props hit something "...as simple as a bee hitting your prop shutting it down." I think the "QC Guy" is pretty informative and says he plans on doing a future video on this topic. Does anybody know anything about the circuitry being so sensitive? Thanks very much.

I don't think the circuit that shuts down the motors if the props hit something is overly sensitive, as the previous post indicates. Mine have done that after hitting a tough weed stalk on a bounced landing, and that is what I want. It doesn't hurt the motor, but if they don't shut down quickly the props will just destroy themselves against the object.

Anytime you have an incident where the motors shut off you need to inspect the leading and trailing edges of all the props carefully. Even a light hit that doesn't trigger the shutdown will cause the prop involved to slam back against the opposite hub and create a small dent, which can eventually grow into a crack. I am willing to polish out a very small dent, like 0.5 mm, with an emery board, but anything that is ragged or a bit deeper than that is cause for replacement.

Don't believe everything you see on the Internet! :oops:

Actually, the QC Guy asks "could it be something as simple as a bee hitting your prop." But the point is, the props may or may not be too sensitive and could come crashing down from the slightest collision with a small object. I was just wondering if anyone heard anything about this issue.

I have seen pictures of someones Anafi covered in bee guts and it never fell out of the sky so I don't think any bug that has a soft shell will stop the motors. I have had mine hit my finger nail and it kept on spinning. Hurt like heck but no damage to the prop or my finger LOL

Reactions: Jed Anafi
Me too. Ouch! But that dried out weed stem definitely caused a shutdown. And I did find a dent in the trailing edge of the one prop that hit it. Unfortunately I had just replaced the props on that side. :mad: That's when I decided to use the emery board.....so far so good but I inspect it often.

Reactions: Jed Anafi
Ok guys, enough with the bees. the bees were just mentioned as an example of how susceptible to sudden motor shut-off it was. All my drones before this Anafi were toy grades and when they would hit a tree branch or any other obstacle they would just keep on flying, assuming the props didn't break. So would the Anafi turn off if the props were to collide with something that did not break the props? (not necessarily a bee).

I'm not sure on what the advantage is. If it did not turn off after something hits the props what would happen?

Most UAV's are designed with props that will shatter if they hit something solid enough to do damage to the motors. My Yuneec Q500 has such props but it is a very large UAV compared to the Anafi. Even with running Carbon Fiber props on it and it happens to tilt over on landing and the props stick into the ground those motors will shut down to prevent damage to the ESC's. They are actually the weakest part between the the props and motors. Not saying it would not happen but hitting a bug in the air that will shut down a motor is not likely. Between my two Anafis I have pretty close to 1000 flights and so far I have never experienced a motor shut down. I have had a prop break but that has happened to many others also.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stefante