Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Reliability of hand launching

Zamzara

Reaction score
Bit of a question about others' experiences of hand launching, and how reasonable is it to expect a few failures:-

I've made most launches this way with over a hundred successful. I've recently had two failures and am now quite worried.

The first failure was onto soft ground and I put it down to complacency - as it seemed so good at launching I was probably getting less careful about sufficient height and upwards speed.

The second one was yesterday and was definitely not lacking upwards speed so is not explainable. The drone landed much harder on its front legs and has slightly cracked and bent a foot. No other damage. I would ideally like to get it repaired but after 100+ flights / two months is this now just normal wear?

Bit of a question about others' experiences of hand launching, and how reasonable is it to expect a few failures:-

I've made most launches this way with over a hundred successful. I've recently had two failures and am now quite worried.

The first failure was onto soft ground and I put it down to complacency - as it seemed so good at launching I was probably getting less careful about sufficient height and upwards speed.

The second one was yesterday and was definitely not lacking upwards speed so is not explainable. The drone landed much harder on its front legs and has slightly cracked and bent a foot. No other damage. I would ideally like to get it repaired but after 100+ flights / two months is this now just normal wear?
I found this tutorial for handlaunch unlikely is in french.

Reactions: Zamzara
Thanks, that might explain a lot. I've been holding it wrong although it's still been 98%+ ok.

I occasionally use hand launch and had a one time problem where the motors shut down right before I released it. I was able to hand on to it.

I believe it was user error. I either dropped my hand too fast and too low before raising it for launch or maybe tilted the drone in the process. Not sure.

I never hand land by issuing a land commmand. I hover at 5 to 6’, grab and flip.

Reactions: AnafiPilot
Not sure what happened. I usually hand launch without a problem. This time I hand grab it, see the takeoff button change to hand launch. Press hand launch and see the propellers start to spin. Let go and it dropped..... 300 feet crashing onto floor. Why did it not float up upon releasing? Needless to say, drone is toast.

Not sure what happened. I usually hand launch without a problem. This time I hand grab it, see the takeoff button change to hand launch. Press hand launch and see the propellers start to spin. Let go and it dropped..... 300 feet crashing onto floor. Why did it not float up upon releasing? Needless to say, drone is toast.

You are a very tall person:unsure:

I almost always hand launch with no issues. After pressing the hand launch button wait for the countdown timer to finish on the app then gently throw up and out.

I almost always hand launch with no issues. After pressing the hand launch button wait for the countdown timer to finish on the app then gently throw up and out.

Hmm, never noticed a count down timer! I do believe that it may shut down if not launched within a set time.

I just press launch and toss as soon as the motors idle up, I don't linger.

I only hand launch and catch.

Hmm, never noticed a count down timer! I do believe that it may shut down if not launched within a set time.

I just press launch and toss as soon as the motors idle up, I don't linger.

I only hand launch and catch.

I don't know the purpose of the timer it's only 3 seconds. I wait for the countdown like a Saturn V then throw and have zero issues.

Hand launching/landing sounds like madness to be honest. Not something i'll be risking even though its a "feature"

Hand launching and hand catching, properly done, is very easy on the drone and quite safe for the drone driver. It is, however, a skill that needs practice to develop. Once mastered, it is a highly preferable way to launch and recover the Anafi.

Before attempting any hand launch or recovery, you must be absolutely familiar with all the controls of the remote, no fumbling or looking down! Your eyes must be locked on the drone until is either stabilized in a hover at a safe distance or the motors have stopped turning.

Hand launch works very well with excellent consistency. You just need to practice and get comfortable with the procedure.
Practice over tall grass or other soft material until you have the procedure down.
DO NOT shortcut the timer or the motors might not spin up soon enough. Wait until the animation shows "Launch".
Wear a glove on your "drone" hand until you are competent with what you are doing.

Hand catching can be a bit more "unnerving" as Anafi does not exhibit the exact same behavior on every landing.
Initially wear a glove on your catching hand.
Bring the drone to a hover in front of you at about eye level with the camera pointing away from you.
Preset the palm of your open hand under Anafi's backside, directly under the vertical camera, and then "coax" it to land using full aft left stick or by pushing the "Land" button.
Allow the Anafi to settle onto your open palm, and wait for the motors to quit turning.
Avoid grabbing the drone, as it will immediately begin to fight you. If this happens, either add power to climb and let go of the drone, or flip the drone 90 degrees onto it's side to stop the motors. This last option will, however, log a "crash" in your flight record.
You can abort a landing at any time prior to motor shutoff by adding power on the left stick.

Good luck and practice!

Reactions: fischerfoto
Did you "throw" it up into the air or just take your hand away?
I'm trying to recollect, but I think I only lightly lifted up, then dropped my hand away. I already bought a new anafi and noticed when I do the hand toss, the display will flash "launch" with about a 3 second count. I didn't have that flashing "launch" when I dropped it 300 feet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut