Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Repowering the Anafi Battery

Chasbro

Reaction score
My original anafi battery, after 200+ flights, is showing signs of age. I was hoping the aftermarket would have come up with a less expensive replacement, but I haven't seen any yet. Evidently, the smart battery technology is not easy to get around. But now that the battery is shot, it doesn't hurt to try. This fellow posted a very good video of how to open the case:
A couple of questions come to mind:
1) Would it be best to wait until hibernation begins to solder in some new cells?
2) What cells to use. I haven't seen any conveniently sized packs. Could you use two 18650 cells?
Has anybody tried?

Reactions: dashSolo
Well, to answer my own post, I am attempting to replace my OE cells with 18650 cells and am happy to report I have made it to first base. I managed to "split the cases" and clip out the old battery. I wired up the new cells with jumper cables and it is taking a charge like normal. Of course I know not to let it charge all the way because that would expose them to 4.4 volts per cell instead of 4.2, but what are the ramifications of overcharging by 5 %? And please, I've already seen the thousands of flaming utube videos, but what happens when you slightly overcharge? Anyway the next step is designing a 3d printed adapter to package the 2 cell holder and mount the plug to. Another thing, are the press fit battery connectors sufficient for the approximately 20 amps peak current it will see or is soldered or spot welded connection mandatory. Thaks for any input.

Well, to answer my own post, I am attempting to replace my OE cells with 18650 cells and am happy to report I have made it to first base. I managed to "split the cases" and clip out the old battery. I wired up the new cells with jumper cables and it is taking a charge like normal. Of course I know not to let it charge all the way because that would expose them to 4.4 volts per cell instead of 4.2, but what are the ramifications of overcharging by 5 %? And please, I've already seen the thousands of flaming utube videos, but what happens when you slightly overcharge? Anyway the next step is designing a 3d printed adapter to package the 2 cell holder and mount the plug to. Another thing, are the press fit battery connectors sufficient for the approximately 20 amps peak current it will see or is soldered or spot welded connection mandatory. Thaks for any input.
@Chasbro Unfortunately I can't offer any info to help you but I will certainly offer my encouragement. I'd love to see an alternative to Parrot's batteries (and I suspect many others would as well). Keep us posted on your work.
Cheers

Good news! The concept works - I fabricated a box with my 3d printer and tried it out. It flies like normal but flight time was only 14 minutes. The cells I used are LG 20A 3000 mAh I got from the 18650 battery store for $5 each. I imagine better cells are available for more $. The cells weigh about the same as the stock battery - 45g each or 90g for the pair. My box weighs 24g now but I think I can shave that down to 15g. It's turning out to be a fun project.

Good news! The concept works - I fabricated a box with my 3d printer and tried it out. It flies like normal but flight time was only 14 minutes. The cells I used are LG 20A 3000 mAh I got from the 18650 battery store for $5 each. I imagine better cells are available for more $. The cells weigh about the same as the stock battery - 45g each or 90g for the pair. My box weighs 24g now but I think I can shave that down to 15g. It's turning out to be a fun project.
@Chasbro, AWESOME...Glad to hear!

I hope you put up a step by step You-Tube video when the final version is completed. This may make Parrot rethink their prices!

Reactions: Jet
I have seen them use large size heat shrink around the new battery parts to seal it up from the weather. Very light and pretty water tight.

Well, bad news. I went out today to fly and ran into all kinds of problems, culminating in the red blink of death. I charged it via the usb on the battery to 90% and it took off and hovered, but then started drifting forward slid into some nice grass. No apparent damage, but it began asking for mag calibrations that failed. Then it wouldn't turn on. I tried the stock battery and it flew normal. Evidently Parrot has some way of detecting a foreign battery. I don't know why it flew ok for that first flight. I'll let you know if I find out more.

Oh sorry to hear...Don't give up! If I was a EE or savvy with electronics I'd offer some help...but alas I'm neither. All I can offer is encouragement. ;-)
Cheers

maybe the batteries are making interference , wrap it in tin foil , with heat shrink , has Augustin said ....

I think maybe the battery board flags an error if it loses power from the battery when the switch is made. Possibly you could splice in a balance connector and connect the new battery to maintain voltage before clipping out the old batt.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut