Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Speed seems too high

Zamzara

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've just bought a used Disco. All seems well except the speed seems stuck between 19-21 m/s. I'm not convinced the left stick is even changing it within that range. The left stick is working to activate loiter.

This speed doesn't seem right for a minimum, is it normal?

Hi guys, I've just bought a used Disco. All seems well except the speed seems stuck between 19-21 m/s. I'm not convinced the left stick is even changing it within that range. The left stick is working to activate loiter.

This speed doesn't seem right for a minimum, is it normal?

Depending on wind, I mean a tail wind can cause the aircraft to travel faster but generally I would say 8-12m/s on average.
3597841b9f3ad07cf732c0f180bc9d85.jpg

Thanks. Mine is stuck at a faster speed then.

Upon 'landing' (crashing) my first flight the pitot cover (button) came off and I'm wondering if this being refitted a bit loosely could be causing this? I've pushed it in tighter but am reluctant to fly now as it's a bit hard getting it down again if it's not improved.

Upon 'landing' (crashing) my first flight the pitot cover (button) came off and I'm wondering if this being refitted a bit loosely could be causing this? I've pushed it in tighter but am reluctant to fly now as it's a bit hard getting it down again if it's not improved.

A guess from here will be you have a foreign object in the pitot tube/ON-OFF button from a crash or it has been bent so there is bad airflow in the tube. The pitot tube measures the speed with which Disco flies in relation to the wind and not as a drone with the GPS unit after the ground. The reason they do this in that way is because they do not want Disco to stall when flying with the wind and not fly too fast against the wind. Try and examine the Pitot tube and the sensor underneath with care.

Regards, Leif.

Last edited:
View attachment 1702

A guess from here will be you have a foreign object in the pitot tube/ON-OFF button from a crash or it has been bent so there is bad airflow in the tube. The pitot tube measures the speed with which Disco flies in relation to the wind and not as a drone with the GPS unit after the ground. The reason they do this in this way is because they do not want Disco to stall when flying with the wind and not fly too fast against the wind. Try and examine the Pitot tube and the sensor underneath with care.

Regards, Leif.

Yes. Never thought of that. Could be. Good one. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Landbo

Yes I’ve had to put mine back in in the past but been okay. Have you tried factory reset?

Yes. Never thought of that. Could be. Good one. [emoji106]

Tnx. I also have to go out and fly a little bit more with my Disco, but even I fly fixed wing here on my property, I feel there is too much speed on the Disco during the landings when there is no wind. Therefore I'm going to drive a trip every time I want the Disco in the air. :(

Regards, Leif.

Reactions: WhiteOne
View attachment 1702

A guess from here will be you have a foreign object in the pitot tube/ON-OFF button from a crash or it has been bent so there is bad airflow in the tube. The pitot tube measures the speed with which Disco flies in relation to the wind and not as a drone with the GPS unit after the ground. The reason they do this in that way is because they do not want Disco to stall when flying with the wind and not fly too fast against the wind. Try and examine the Pitot tube and the sensor underneath with care.

Regards, Leif.

Many thanks, now you've confirmed that's a likely area I'll check again and do a careful test flight.

Reactions: WhiteOne and Landbo
Tnx. I also have to go out and fly a little bit more with my Disco, but even I fly fixed wing here on my property, I feel there is too much speed on the Disco during the landings when there is no wind. Therefore I'm going to drive a trip every time I want the Disco in the air. :(

Regards, Leif.

Same with me. I have to drive to a suitable location to fly. But worth it in the end. Happy safe flying buddy [emoji3575][emoji3575][emoji106][emoji3575]

Reactions: Landbo
Just an addendum to this. I noticed in my flight logs that the airspeed was still low relative to the GPS speed by a small amount, approximately matching the GPS speed down wind. I've improved the performance further by pulling the actual pitot tubing out a little more, about 3-4 mm, and gluing it in place.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut