Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Storage battery discharge

Bobthinks

Reaction score
Anybody else disappointed with how much passive discharge the Anafi batteries have? I charged all three up batteries a week ago and this morning I took them out and all three were down to 73-75% of full.

No, I had not that amount of discharge.
But after 10 days of non-use the battery starts to discharge itself down to 65%.

The thing about Anafi batteries is there is always voltage on the mains even with the power button in the off position. This is not good for safety reasons but you can get end protectors so nothing shorts out. Now for your question the battery will start discharging at a slow pace from day one. At the end of day ten it should be at the storage voltage. Nothing wrong with that as we all know Lipo batteries should not be stored at full voltage.
I don't mind they discharge faster then the older smart batteries. Hopefully they will last longer this way.

Hi...just wanna add that if you try to start anafi after 10 days of not flying ,your anafi might act like its dead,there will be no lights when you press power button even though there is still 65% of charge...remove battery and connect to wall charger,press power button for 15 seconds to reset battery and install in anafi...this time when you press power button anafi will fire up immediately

Slower than my Solo batteries self-discharge, but as mentioned above, it's basically required for smart batteries.

This is a nice feature - how come Parrot is not advertising this more ? The competition is selling this feature as "smart" or "intelligent" batteries. Did anyone see this mentioned in any Parrot documentation?

This is a nice feature - how come Parrot is not advertising this more ? The competition is selling this feature as "smart" or "intelligent" batteries. Did anyone see this mentioned in any Parrot documentation?

Pages 10 and 25 in the English manual V1.4. Not that I claim it is clear writing what happens. ;)

Download on this side: Products

Regards Leif.

The thing about Anafi batteries is there is always voltage on the mains even with the power button in the off position. This is not good for safety reasons but you can get end protectors so nothing shorts out. Now for your question the battery will start discharging at a slow pace from day one. At the end of day ten it should be at the storage voltage. Nothing wrong with that as we all know Lipo batteries should not be stored at full voltage.
I don't mind they discharge faster then the older smart batteries. Hopefully they will last longer this way.
... at the end of day ten it should be at the storage voltage...

Exactly it will be at the storage voltage at no later than the end of day twelve, because discharging lasts for 48h at the most beginning after 10 days of non-use.

I guess I took the manual as saying at 10 days of disuse the batteries discharge to storage voltage. I did not take it to mean the start progressively discharging immediately after disconnecting from the charger. The initial discharge I reported was after 6.5 days. Since then I've been testing since then and I can be at 100% at 9pm and it's reliably down to 95% by noon the next day.

I get the reason for lower storage voltage. In a former life I was a electronics tech and I've worked as a developer for a firm that serviced portable devices and their batteries for large corporations. But frankly if you care about battery health buying one more battery than you currently have, charging them slower (no pd charging) and swapping them out at 35-40% drained will do more for battery health. The single biggest factor is something we cannot control, does the electronics prevent over charging?

Last edited:
I believe the smart part of the battery will\should stop over charging. Of course with any electronics things can go wrong but most are pretty fail safe these days. As for the battery in the Anafi I am led to believe it is one of the newer Lipos that are being used by most manufactures now for UAV's. Most are of the high capacity type now, this is one of the reasons the Anafi gets a full 25 minutes of flight time. Of course there are other factors but this is one of them.

I believe the smart part of the battery will\should stop over charging. Of course with any electronics things can go wrong but most are pretty fail safe these days. As for the battery in the Anafi I am led to believe it is one of the newer Lipos that are being used by most manufactures now for UAV's. Most are of the high capacity type now, this is one of the reasons the Anafi gets a full 25 minutes of flight time. Of course there are other factors but this is one of them.
I'm fairly sure it does as well. I was more speaking in generalities. Overcharge is the worst risk for all lipo's.

I wonder if the are also using a technique common in critical medical devices. 1) Market at battery size X. 2) install cells at size X+20%. 3) report battery flat at 20%.

Reactions: Saijin_Naib
After storage for two weeks there will be no response to pushing the power button ... connect for just a few sec’s to the charger, disconnect and now power button shows 2/3 charge remaining... Parrot needs to fix...

After storage for two weeks there will be no response to pushing the power button ... connect for just a few sec’s to the charger, disconnect and now power button shows 2/3 charge remaining... Parrot needs to fix...
You exactly describe the normal Anafi battery behaviour.
What will Parrot have to fix?

You should be able to tap the battery switch, in or out of the drone, and see the status of the charge ... NOT tap on the button after a period of time and see no light/charge when 60%+ still remains ... First time I tried it I though all my batteries were dead!! Dontchathink?

They do that so the circuitry inside doesn't keep draining them. Once they've self-discharged they "hibernate" until next use.

Reactions: Philb
One of my batteries does not come out of hibernation now. Even on the charger. On the charger I get 4 short red flashes and one long red flash repeating endlessly. I have tried a reset while on the charger. Holding down the button result in the flashing stopping eventually. On button release I get the green led wave followed by a red wave.

However the 4 short red flashes and one long red flash starts a few seconds later. I see 7.4 volts on the battery terminals with a meter.

Is there a disassembly procedure for the battery?

I just tested 3 packs fully charged and sitting idle for 9 days. They still show at 100% when powered up in the Anafi.

The packs don't seem to bleed any appreciable charge for the duration of the 10 day post charge time. Then at the 10 day mark, the smart chip connects a light load on the pack to pull it down to 65% over two days, then it disconnects the load and goes into hibernation, ultra low self discharge for storage.

One of my batteries does not come out of hibernation now. Even on the charger. On the charger I get 4 short red flashes and one long red flash repeating endlessly. I have tried a reset while on the charger. Holding down the button result in the flashing stopping eventually. On button release I get the green led wave followed by a red wave.

However the 4 short red flashes and one long red flash starts a few seconds later. I see 7.4 volts on the battery terminals with a meter.

Is there a disassembly procedure for the battery?

I have a similar issue were you able to resolve your issue

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut