Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Terrible wifi connection with Anafi

Williamyao

Reaction score
Hi there,
I am a new Anafi pilot and just bought my Anafi two days ago. After I flew my new drone I found that there is a serious problem with it. The signal of my drone is totally a joke.
20180921005533.jpg
This screenshot was taken at the first night I got my first Anafi, and I flew it around town hall building to take some night view. The connection turned very weak when the drone rose over 30 meter high, and FPV jammed when I pushed it over 70 meter, then connection lost.

I thought maybe it was because I was at the central of city, and tons of wifi boxes were there interfering my drone. Therefore I went to a park yesterday, where it was middle of nowhere, and the closest building was at least 1 kilometer away. I checked my phone that there was zero wifi signal around, and then switched my phone into airplane mode, and tested it again.
20180921005604.jpg
The result just blew me up. I recorded my phone screen. This was the last moment when the connection lost. It only reached about 130 meter far from me with no wifi source surrounding. I had watched numbers of video on youtube that said Anafi could fly up to 1.5 km or 2 km something, I didn't expect that far, but the range I got is totally unacceptable, which was even shorter than a toy drone.

Today, I went back to the shop, replaced another Anafi and just had my second trail, but nothing improved.
Did I miss anything of this drone? Actually, at least I noticed a wired thing. Before I tried to take off my second Anafi, I had to update the firmware of both controller and drone. The version of FF6 in my iphone 8 plus is v6.1.1. Before updating, the version of my RC was 1.0.3, and the version of the drone was beta 0.8.7 or 0.8.6. I checked wifi connection and I could see wifi noise curves between each band in the chart. I firstly updated RC to v1.1.0, and still could see the curves. But after I updated the firmware of drone into v1.1.0, there is nothing displayed now!
20180921020606.png

Could anyone help me with this?

Hi there,
I am a new Anafi pilot and just bought my Anafi two days ago. After I flew my new drone I found that there is a serious problem with it. The signal of my drone is totally a joke.
View attachment 279
This screenshot was taken at the first night I got my first Anafi, and I flew it around town hall building to take some night view. The connection turned very weak when the drone rose over 30 meter high, and FPV jammed when I pushed it over 70 meter, then connection lost.

I thought maybe it was because I was at the central of city, and tons of wifi boxes were there interfering my drone. Therefore I went to a park yesterday, where it was middle of nowhere, and the closest building was at least 1 kilometer away. I checked my phone that there was zero wifi signal around, and then switched my phone into airplane mode, and tested it again.
View attachment 280
The result just blew me up. I recorded my phone screen. This was the last moment when the connection lost. It only reached about 130 meter far from me with no wifi source surrounding. I had watched numbers of video on youtube that said Anafi could fly up to 1.5 km or 2 km something, I didn't expect that far, but the range I got is totally unacceptable, which was even shorter than a toy drone.

Today, I went back to the shop, replaced another Anafi and just had my second trail, but nothing improved.
Did I miss anything of this drone? Actually, at least I noticed a wired thing. Before I tried to take off my second Anafi, I had to update the firmware of both controller and drone. The version of FF6 in my iphone 8 plus is v6.1.1. Before updating, the version of my RC was 1.0.3, and the version of the drone was beta 0.8.7 or 0.8.6. I checked wifi connection and I could see wifi noise curves between each band in the chart. I firstly updated RC to v1.1.0, and still could see the curves. But after I updated the firmware of drone into v1.1.0, there is nothing displayed now!
View attachment 281

Have you tried "ALL" not "MANUAL" .....cause i got same problem but i move to another please I Can Flight 200m hight 700 m distance

I tried, but didn't help.

Have you ever ignore it until lose signal? (interference) sometimes if you flight highest interefence will gone.

But before you push up the drone make sure your GPS green and HOME position already set

Often these short distances reflect phone-Anafi connection (the Skycontroller 3 is not in control). Before powering up or plugging in the phone, make sure phone WiFi is off, or just use Airplane mode.

Also make sure all three are updated.

I had WiFi connection issues today. Tech support recommended landing and switching the WiFi frequency...maybe that will help.

Keep tweaking, its a good bird when set-up correctly.

PS pilot training includes monitoring pilot internal mental and emotional states.

Reactions: Saijin_Naib
Often these short distances reflect phone-Anafi connection (the Skycontroller 3 is not in control). Before powering up or plugging in the phone, make sure phone WiFi is off, or just use Airplane mode.

Also make sure all three are updated.

I had WiFi connection issues today. Tech support recommended landing and switching the WiFi frequency...maybe that will help.

Keep tweaking, its a good bird when set-up correctly.

PS pilot training includes monitoring pilot internal mental and emotional states.

Thanks for replying, I actually questioned about whether my RC was in control, and I also used my old iphone 5s which was without SIM card and in flight mode to fake GPS for 5 GHz band. But the signal was still getting poor at 50 meter away and I didn't dare to push it because RTH would not work if it lost.

I guess, is that possible that the new 1.1.0 firmware for drone jams wifi? I just can't believe I received two defects in row.

BTW, I have a Mavic pro 2 but been returned to DJI to repair because of some gimbal issue. I flew my MP2 two km away and got it back safe and steady. I feel angry about Anafi because it is a 4k camera drone which costs me 700 bucks but doesn't work properly. It is not a toy and I need it to get into spot and transmit image in good quality for filming and taking photos. I think I am more like a photographer than a pilot.

Reactions: MauiMacMan
Thanks for replying, I actually questioned about whether my RC was in control, and I also used my old iphone 5s which was without SIM card and in flight mode to fake GPS for 5 GHz band. But the signal was still getting poor at 50 meter away and I didn't dare to push it because RTH would not work if it lost.

I guess, is that possible that the new 1.1.0 firmware for drone jams wifi? I just can't believe I received two defects in row.

BTW, I have a Mavic pro 2 but been returned to DJI to repair because of some gimbal issue. I flew my MP2 two km away and got it back safe and steady. I feel angry about Anafi because it is a 4k camera drone which costs me 700 bucks but doesn't work properly. It is not a toy and I need it to get into spot and transmit image in good quality for filming and taking photos. I think I am more like a photographer than a pilot.
Try fakegps trick to activate 5ghz FCC "channel 165" and no more interference in CE country.Search in this forum I write a tutorial.

Hi there,
View attachment 279

View attachment 280

View attachment 281

It's a little tired, it does not seem the way you want. However, there is one thing I have not seen in the thread, that is the antenna direction that you have when the image disappears on the screen. Are you sure that the antenna's radiance also hits Miss Anafi ?

If you think your phone is interfering with the WiFi band (RFI), try connecting it with the longest USB cable you have and keep the phone below the level with RC (the phone may not be in the holder). This allows you to get the least disturbance from your phone to interfere with the image transmission.

I do not believe it is the software that is causing the problems.

On the other hand, a bad repair of the phone may have removed/destroyed some of the shielding of the phone's electronics and making it make RFI on the WiFi band. However, at the same time, you will find that you do not have a fairly long range if the phone is used exclusively connected to a WiFi network.

The 2.4 GHz signal range is 2-4 times as long as on the 5.8 GHz band.

There are a couple of considerations I thought about while reading the thread.

PS. Under an ideal environment (LOS with strong binoculars ;)) the connection between Anafi and Radio Controller is at least 2.5 km.

Regards Leif.

Last edited:
It's a little tired, it does not seem the way you want. However, there is one thing I have not seen in the thread, that is the antenna direction that you have when the image disappears on the screen. Are you sure that the antenna's radiance also hits Miss Anafi ?

If you think your phone is interfering with the WiFi band (RFI), try connecting it with the longest USB cable you have and keep the phone below the level with RC (the phone may not be in the holder). This allows you to get the least disturbance from your phone to interfere with the image transmission.

I do not believe it is the software that is causing the problems.

On the other hand, a bad repair of the phone may have removed/destroyed some of the shielding of the phone's electronics and making it make RFI on the WiFi band. However, at the same time, you will find that you do not have a fairly long range if the phone is used exclusively connected to a WiFi network.

The 2.4 GHz signal range is 2-4 times as long as on the 5.8 GHz band.

There are a couple of considerations I thought about while reading the thread.

PS. Under an ideal environment (LOS with strong binoculars ;)) the connection between Anafi and Radio Controller is at least 2.5 km.

Regards Leif.
I go over 2.5km with 5.8ghz in semi urban area with 2.4 not overpass 300mt 2.4 is better if not wifi 2.4 interference.

I go over 2.5km with 5.8ghz in semi urban area with 2.4 not overpass 300mt 2.4 is better if not wifi 2.4 interference.

Maybe in the middle of the Sahara desert where the air is so dry it dusts. But probably not where the air has a more normal content of water vapor. It is the air content of water vapor that for the most determines how much the attenuation of the radio waves is in the 5.8 GHz band.

Regards Leif.

Maybe in the middle of the Sahara desert where the air is so dry it dusts. But probably not where the air has a more normal content of water vapor. It is the air content of water vapor that for the most determines how much the attenuation of the radio waves is in the 5.8 GHz band.

Regards Leif.
Not desert but someone in England with Ce and 2.4 overpass 4km
I overpass 2.5 km with 5.8 in my city (Salerno,Italy) on beach with a lot of 2.4ghz interference but with 5.8 and channel 165 no problem.

Last edited:
Not desert but someone in England with Ce and 2.4 overpass 4km
I overpass 2.5 km with 5.8 in my city (Salerno,Italy) on beach with a lot of 2.4ghz interference but with 5.8 and channel 165 no problem.

Yes ok, it's surprising. Is that because 5.8 GHz WiFi is not allowed in Italy ?

Regards Leif.

So is absolute silence on the 5.8 GHz band probably the reason. :)

Regards Leif.
Yes i tested with wifi analyzer app a lot of traffic with 2.4ghz from channel 1 to 11 and 5ghz until channel 100 but absolute silence from 149 to 165 and FCC frequency is more strong than CE. Under these circumstances 5.8ghz is much better than 2.4ghz

I was disapointed in the range during the first few flights as i would get interference errors as close as 600' Selecting 2.4 really helped and i ve gotten as much as 0.9 nm (1.6 km)

I m no expert but it is my impression that 2.4 will give much better range. 5ghz is supposed to be less prone to interference and offer faster transmission but less range.

Two other things to consider.

You may not see much interfeence on the ground, but when the drone is up in the air and away, it may pick up more wifi signals.

LOS is absoluetly critical. At longer distances, even your own body can restrict the signal. Make sure the antenna on the controlleer is facing the drone. Any trees or obstacle will kill the signal. Altitude will help maintain LOS. I mostly use anafi from a boat and when circling around even as close as 200/300' i have to walk around so the structure of the boat isnt in the way.

Reactions: Landbo
Try fakegps trick to activate 5ghz FCC "channel 165" and no more interference in CE country.Search in this forum I write a tutorial.
Skassa, I am in Europe. When I check my wifi channels in settings I find channel 1...to 11 and then 151...and higher. Normally this is a check for me whether I have FCC or CE. I got my Anafi brand new(in Europe) and installed the latest FW and FF6 App and did not applied fakegps, but I find only 11 , 2.4GHz channels, instead of 13 (or is that only for DJI drones). How do I check that I have CE or FFC mode? On top of that I don't see the clock/gaussian shape overlapping (interference) curves on the screen which I was used to see on my Bebops and previous Anafi (broke the legs, and got a new one). Is there a bug in latest FW/SW or could it be that I am still in FCC mode whithout knowing it? Thnx, Ton

Last edited:
Skassa, I am in Europe. When I check my wifi channels in settings I find channel 1...to 11 and then 151...and higher. Normally this is a check for me whether I have FCC or CE. I got my Anafi brand new(in Europe) and installed the latest FW and FF6 App and did not applied fakegps, but I find only 11 , 2.4GHz channels, instead of 13 (or is that only for DJI drones). How do I check that I have CE or FFC mode? On top of that I don't see the clock/gaussian shape overlapping (interference) curves on the screen which I was used to see on my Bebops and previous Anafi (broke the legs, and got a new one). Is there a bug in latest FW/SW or could it be that I am still in FCC mode whithout knowing it? Thnx, Ton
Hi, in european you see only 2.4ghz and channels 1 to 11. I suggest you to switch in fcc and manual set channel 166 to avoids wifii interferences with this setting i got 2.5 km in urban area (without ostacle from the skycontroller and anafi at 150mt altitude).

Ok, thanks, I will try! But do you still see with the latest FW/SW update the overlapping curves on the wifi/channel screen (to be able to check out the interference for a channel)? I don't.

this is what's concerning me before buying an Anafi. I have an XSP, Tyhpoon H, Spark but like the look of the Anafi and really like Quiet UAVs. I love my spark but I find the range can be pretty poor (UK).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut