Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

UK Registration with CAA

Has anybody done the UK test? , just done mine, just wondering what kind of labels are best. It was £9 if anybody was wondering and is a 20 question multiple-choice online test

did mine the day it went live, all I did was to print out my operator ID and 3 flyer ID's and then cut them down to size and cellotaped them to my 3 drones....

I am waiting to see what the BMFA comes up with. As a member I have until end of January 2020 to comply with the regulations and, as I understand it, your registration runs from the date that you register e.g. if I were to register today then it would expire on 8th November 2020.

As previous comments re. BMFA: Member's have been flying for years with some models that make most 'drones' look like gnats in comparison! How many commercial aircraft have been brought down? Rhetorical question - if more than zero, then most BMFA members would already be in 'chokey' (and if any US citizens were injured/killed, some would be wearing nice orange jumpsuits, somewhere the other side of the Atlantic!)

So, why the panic? The obvious answer is, cash. More money to be collected to be wasted by govt/civil service. Even better, it's the ideal tax! No services have to be provided in return. The cash will just disappear into a black hole. Another benefit; if people complain, a govt. spokesperson will appear in the media. Looking very serious, they will explain it's all in the interest of public safety, and, if they failed to act, they would be clearly irresponsible!

But that's the obvious answer. The other answer, which I believe to be the 'prime mover', is control/monitoring. Model aircraft were just seen as a somewhat idiosynchratic, harmless hobby. A hobby with no real world applications. Drones are the game changer. Their nature has made possible applications that 'authority' doesn't like. Their nature has spurred developments in power/electronics/image capture/AI that is applicable to a variety of 'models'. Potential information gathering of this capability makes govts. nervous.

Am I being paranoid? Quite possibly. But just pause and think: The subtle campaign that's been waged for the past few months: The shockingly biased TV documentary(with unbelievably biased and unscientific test), the constant (always unsubstantiated) reports of 'near misses'. Was a drone or operators ever found at Gatwick? One report I read about a near miss with a 'airliner carrying 350 passengers' was due to a supermarket carrier bag flying in the wind!! Deaths/injuries? As an earlier poster said, you're in more danger drom a cricket ball!

And don't forget: Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you!

I know I will have to register at some point but I still think it’s a load of, if you’ll pardon my Latin, Bollox.

Like a few on here I’m a member of BMFA so I have a month or two before I commit but I still feel as though we’ve been forcibly implicated in a farcical publicity stunt.

The whole health and safety argument falls flat on its face when you consider that hobbyists have been flying SUAV’s, in one shape or another, for a 100yrs or more without any incidents. And if one of my non-drone colleagues bring up Gatwick once more I swear I won’t be responsible for my actions.

If unlicensed flying things pose such a risk then why are hangliders and Paramotors not subject to these same requirements unless they are fitted with wheels? These full scale flying machines have been responsible for many serious injuries, fatalities, and incursions into restricted airspace. Remember the demonstrator who flew in front of Trump in Scotland in an area that had been locked down to any flying craft?

Another reason why I know this is just a knee jerk reaction to a problem that doesn’t exist, apart from working in the Civil Service for 25yrs, is that come June 2020 the new EASA regulations concerning SUAS will come into force. This will affect the Mavic Mini owners whom believe they’ve circumvented registration as all SUAV’s, irrespective of AUW, will need to be registered if they have any data collecting equipment fitted eg a camera. Another EASA proposal I’m keeping an eye on is the requirement to carry electronic identification, such as ADS-B. The only devices I’ve so far come across suitable for a SUAV are in the £2000 price bracket. Some maybe surprised to know that for General Aviation this isn’t a legal requirement and many small manned aircraft don’t carry this type of device.

I’m sorry for the ranty post. I’ve just had an unhappy love affair, so I don’t see why anyone else should have a good time. ?

Message Ends

Nidge.

We all have 'bad days'! I would accept 'knee jerk reaction' but for the fact that the govt. have been throwing money at people to 'prove' how potentially hazardous drones/UAVs are!

Reactions: Nidge
We all have 'bad days'! I would accept 'knee jerk reaction' but for the fact that the govt. have been throwing money at people to 'prove' how potentially hazardous drones/UAVs are!

That’s just the point, they haven’t spent any money to demonstrate the hazards, or the lack there of. The pronounced risks right up to the day of forced registration have been pure speculation, there has been nothing close to a risk assessment performed. However all is not lost, two days after the implementation of registration the powers that be have decided to do a risk assessment but the start and duration is not yet known.

Regards

Nidge.

The new European drone law coming in effect this summer eliminates all the different laws in all the countries in the Euro zone. In a nutshell: anyone can fly a drone up to 25kgs. The categories will be divided into three sorts, depending on how close you want to fly to other people. When you fly a drone over 250 grams you will have to take an online training and test. There are a few technical requirements, and anybody can fly up to 120 meters. Important to know is that local law cannot overrule this European law. E.g. the city where I work (Ghent) dictates that if you want to fly a drone inside the city you must requist a flight minimum one week in advance. Within a few months they'll have to scrap this law.
Drone pilots will have to be registered, not the drone itself.

From what I see the Anafi will be in the C1 class under 900grams. One particular problem with this class is that any drone must broadcast a remote ID. This may be done from the drone or an add-on device. So now I am wondering if Parrot will be able implement this in some way in software. I cannot imagine that it's possible to attach a ads-b transmitter to the anafi (interference-weight!). Any ideas?category_summary_eu_drone_legislation.pngopen_category_eu_drone_legislation.png

Good info (y)

I am guessing Parrot will bring out a firmware up to enable the device to broadcast an ID. DJI already does it....... and many of the guys are working on blocking it. In fact i heard that at recent riots a few people and their drones were arrested as they were either transmitting garbage, or had disabled the transmission.

Will be interesting to see what Parrot is going to do in order to maintain compliance. Personally it doesn't bother me, I'm not doing anything wrong in the first place.

Will the requirement to transmit an electronic ID by retrospective or only apply to drones that are sold after Jun 2020? If it is retrospective then it will render obsolete many home built and consumer drones that were constructed or bought before these new laws were even thought of e.g. as the EASA rules appear to apply to all model aircraft will it ground my fleet of fixed wing powered planes and slope soaring gliders?

Will the requirement to transmit an electronic ID by retrospective or only apply to drones that are sold after Jun 2020? If it is retrospective then it will render obsolete many home built and consumer drones that were constructed or bought before these new laws were even thought of e.g. as the EASA rules appear to apply to all model aircraft will it ground my fleet of fixed wing powered planes and slope soaring gliders?

That's a good question actually.
I recently got into scratch building foamies, and it would be a real pain to have to to buy additional electronics just to comply with the coming legislation..
Cost aside, at least until it becomes a niche for Chinese producers, there might not be lightweight transmitters available for kind of applications where every gram counts.

Thanks for opening the thread, I am £9 poorer but also a legal operator now :)

did mine the day it went live, all I did was to print out my operator ID and 3 flyer ID's and then cut them down to size and cellotaped them to my 3 drones....
Did it affect your flying in any way?

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

**** weather in the UK is a nightmare at the moment, just no chance to fly. If its not howling wind, it raining hard....... someone tell the season is June not November

LOL... weather had been crap in Scotland from September until March this year... and then the Covid-19 lockdown put paid to any flying....LOL

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut