Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Update 1.6.3 failed pls help

Fasti007

Reaction score
Hello,
I bought an Anafi few days ago. Was actually very satisfied so far...
now to my problem: Yesterday I wanted to update the Anafi to the latest version 1.6.3. Of course, I previously charged the battery from the drone and remote control.
The remote control connected to my Samsung S8...
After that the update started, downloaded it and sent it to the Anafi, after a few minutes it started to update.
Unfortunately, it stopped at about ~95% and didn't go any further, didn't do anything until the Anafi's battery was empty.

Ok thought no problem at first, I charge the battery and try again. Wrongly thought, the Anafi has not started properly since then... It can be switched on, you can hear the fan, but does nothing else, no motor test, no gimbal test and there is no LED and no WiFi. No access to the Anafi
I also did a hard reset, but it didn't work either.

I only flew 4 times with the Anafi ... no crash, no error messages before the update.

Please help me, I just don't know what to do. :cautious:

Sorry for my bad english, I hope you understand me.

Greetings and a happy new year.

That really does not sound very good. Most times when the up date fails people just reboot everything and it actually updated and all was fine. In your case it does sound like the Anafi is locked (bricked) and I would say the only solution is to contact the place of purchase or Parrot for a replacement.
Unless someone else has a better idea I think that is your only option.

Reactions: Fasti007
Sad, but true.
But give all reset options a try:

Oh no that doesn't not good. It's tough. if you actually want to improve the product with an update, but it's scrap afterwards.

@Agustine Unfortunately I bought the Anafi used, so I have no guarantee or warranty.
I hope i find a other fix for this problem.

Have now tried all types of reset again. It hasn't changed. :(

Thank you Agustine and Dirk_ANAFI.

After recharging and resetting the Anafi, did you try to de-install, re-install the FF6 software and check if the firmware update can be re-done ?

As it is an used Anafi, there is also a possibility that the remote SkyController had an older firmware. After you re-install the App FF6, can you connect your phone to the controller (Anafi should be off) and check on the SkyController icon in FF6 if there is a firmware update for the controller ? (The controller must always be up to date before the Anafi).

Keep us informed but it’s worth testing...

@MustangPhil
Yes, I also reinstalled FF6. But FF6 can no longer find the Anafi because there is no longer a WiFi connection possible and the Anafi does not start properly.

Before the Anafi update, I updated the Skycontroller to 1.6.2 without errors.

Thanks for your help.

201912.jpg

I just thought of something else to try. I believe the updates need a SD card in the Anafi. If you already have one in there try a different one as something might have corrupted the first card. At this point it can't hurt to try

That’s a good idea Agustine !
You can even try to format FAT32 your SD card in an outer source (a PC for example) and put it back in the Anafi.

Did you try the smart battery full reset ? (Remove the battery from the Anafi and press and hold the On/Off button during 15 seconds, then release it... it should blink fast red then fast green). Then battery back on the Anafi and just press ‘On’ to see...

Did you make a test on another phone or tablet with another USB cable ?

can you also check the connectors from the battery are perfectly ‘straight and clean’ and do align with the pins in the Anafi side ?

Ok thanks Agustine, I wanted to buy a 32GB anyway. As soon as I have a new one, I will contact you.

I previously formatted the 16GB SD card in FAT32. After that I did a hard reset to see if a Wifi.txt is saved on the SD. Unfortunately nothing.

The first thing I did was battery reset. The battery also briefly shows 4 green lines and as soon as I do the reset the red LEDs flash quickly ... as described.

If I then put the battery back into the Anafi and switch it on, the green LEDs flash briefly 3 times and then they go out. but the Anafi continues to run at least the fan, without the battery leds and the blue led below does not light either.

I also tried an Iphone 10 and 2 different USB cables.

I'll take a closer look at the battery pins tomorrow. Already spent too much time on it today, my wife still wants to celebrate today. ?

Many thanks guys!

Yes, your wife is right ! I’m also preparing to celebrate New Year’s eve with my family and two of my favorite animals (Oyters and Lobster).

Keep us informed... tomorrow

Make sure you are using your phone and controller but before you do that take your USB-c cable and hook one end to the controller and the other end to the battery of the Anafi. With both the RC and the Anafi powered on it should start to rebind itself to the controller. This also might help. You will notice the led's flash, it happens pretty fast so you might miss it. Just trying to eliminate all possible causes.
Hope you have some luck in the new year.
Worst case you can always sell it on ebay for parts as many are always looking for arms, motors and such. Hopefully you can make your money back doing that.
Good luck.

So I have tried a lot of time and everything imaginable the last few days.
I also got a new SD card, a battery and USB cable. Unfortunately nothing changes. The Anafi is bricked.
Was a very expensive pleasure. Very Pity! :rolleyes:

Thank you again for your help. (y) I am still ready for other repair attempts.

Would a motherboard change be enough? I read that the gimbal is paired with the motherboard. Is that correct? If so, would there be a solution other than a new gimbal? My camera / gimbal is still working.

If you can find a mother board that would be one option. The camera and it's mother board are not the same as the main mother board. Finding a parts Anafi would be your best bet if you can even find one. Some have found some by searching Amazon for refurbished ones. This seems to be more for people in Europe as I have never come across them here in North America.
You also have to consider your own skills on working with such small parts and being able to take it apart and put it back together. :)

If you don't already have this repair PDF here it is. There is also a repair video on Youtube by Parrot

Attachments

• how_to_repair_anafi.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Ok thank you, then I'll go and look for it. Yes disassembling and soldering small parts is not a problem for me. I already have a lot of experience with it. Just not with an "Anafi".
I will watch videos and your PDF beforehand that I will not make mistakes.

As soon as I have found a working motherboard and tested it ... I will contact you again if desired.

Why not asking support to Parrot ?
Are you sure your Anafi is not more under warranty ? Maybe the previous ower can tell you that ?

If I had the problem, and the warranty period passed, I would try making a mail to Parrot’s technical staff to ask :
- Is this problem known ? (It’s the first time I hear an Anafi is ‘bricked’ by a firmware upgrade).
- Could this be related to the upgrade ?
- Could this be related to the ‘smart’ battery ? Or a connector near the battery ?
- What kind of internal wire/connector could be disconnected that could induce this kind of symptom ?
- Is there a way a board could ‘fry’ to make this happen ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut