Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Vertical camera failure error

Chiajna

Reaction score
Hello,

Have any clue what should i do if i receive this message and cannot take off? I haven't had any crush.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190224-154126_FreeFlight 6.jpg
    Screenshot_20190224-154126_FreeFlight 6.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 333
A few owners have had similar issues, what I did was resetting the drone, removed and re-installed the app and it worked.

Try picking it up for a moment. I think my whole issue with wonky starts up is the vertical camera sensitivity or computation. It’s been tweaked I think with this update and at first under 1.4 was working again but the 1.4.1 controller upgrade put it back to unreliable initializing. It takes a button dance now but picking it up and turning it 90 degrees will get it going after a few attempts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

There is some companion threads with this problem appearing randomly for some. It worked great post the first 1.4 firmware and then they pushed out 1.4.1 and the problem came back for me. It’s still faster to boot then many of my drones but it used to be flawless and allowed for quick launches to capture changing light conditions. Now I can’t count on that and I’ve missed some magic light lately. I cannot find a reliable way around this other then this fiddling I’m doing with the power button and the battery. I now build in extra launch time to try to compensate.

There is some companion threads with this problem appearing randomly for some. It worked great post the first 1.4 firmware and then they pushed out 1.4.1 and the problem came back for me. It’s still faster to boot then many of my drones but it used to be flawless and allowed for quick launches to capture changing light conditions. Now I can’t count on that and I’ve missed some magic light lately. I cannot find a reliable way around this other then this fiddling I’m doing with the power button and the battery. I now build in extra launch time to try to compensate.

I know you said you bought that one when your first one had motor problems so can you not just return it at the vendor you bought it at? Or maybe another maybe do a motor swap back to your old one that worked better?

I know. My original was great. I’m going to find a motor and get that one back in the air. My new one I put a skin on so I’m sure that’s a warranty breaker. I’m an order the parts and fix it yourself pilot anyway but my last experience with them was so biased against me as the consumer, I really won’t deal with them anymore. They won’t let me talk to my original contacts and act like my original help was meaningless even though I sent in some of the very first photos and videos from the US and helped test all the FF6 features. I’m waiting for good third party shops to get parts eventually. It’s a corporate mentality that’s universal now and it’s sad because in the beginning, they were kind, helpful, receptive, and payed attention to our feedback.

Reactions: astrex
Thanks. I've tried picking it up for a moment but nothing happens. I cann't reset it to data factory. Do you suggest anything else? Same error with "vertical camera failure error"

This is the first thread Google returns when searching for "Vertical camera failure" for the Anafi, so I'll just post my findings here.

I had the same problem as everyone else; after updating firmware on the drone, I get a "Vertical camera error" message and the drone no longer responds to commands.

Long story short, at least in my particular case, it seems to be a manufacturing defect with the vertical camera connector to the motherboard, in that it can move to the side and the pins no longer line up. I initially though it was from a recent crash I had with the drone, but looking at the connector with a microscope I see no deformity in either the connector itself or the slot on the motherboard, which is why I suspect this to be a manufacturing defect, where the tolerances are off and the connector can move out of its place.

You can bend the metal bit which is holding the connector in place, to try and lift it up and re-position it. But even if you manage to insert it correctly, it requires very little force to push it out of its correct place. So what I've done is that I've glued it into place, and so far I haven't had any issues with it.

I've given a reference image as to how the connector can move about. From my reference image, the connect can slide leftwards, meaning you have to push it rightwards to move into place. If you look from the bottom very carefully, you can see if the pins are aligned or not.

Considering that this is likely a manufacturing defect and can't be solved through software, if its still under warranty, your best option is to have it replaced.

Attachments

• 61MBCGIknSL._SL1462_.jpg
    61MBCGIknSL._SL1462_.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 516
I am on my thrid Anafi since July 1 . First one made 140 flight then gimbal dropped Parrot replaced with new which went out of control on first flight and hit tree had to be scrapped for parts . Third one has 15 filghts no issuse and then today I was filming a hawk nest about 80 feet up with camera in down position for about 5 mins. Landed with ::
Vertical camera failure error message
Now camera FPV screen is only black Anafi flies fine however no video on 6 attempts.

Any working resoulution without mod to board appreciated. Will call Parrot Monday for number 4 .

UPDATE: A reset of the Anafi per Parrot instructions correcected the Vertical Camera Failure for me

Last edited:
Reactions: AnafiPilot
Another example here of a root cause for the Vertical Camera Error.

Similar to colin.dumitru’s experience above, after a (modest) crash, the motherboard connector for the vertical camera came loose. I agree with Colin that the metal retaining clip intended to hold the connector in place does not exert sufficient force.

Very detailed instructions can be found online to get to you to the back of the motherboard.

And also there’s a document here which helps…
https://www.parrot.com/files/s3fs-public/firmware/how_to_repair_anafi.pdf

My pictures are below showing the slightly displaced connector. Simply pushing the connector back in place and securing has fixed the problem.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2019-05-06 at 08.19.45.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-05-06 at 08.19.45.jpeg
    338.2 KB · Views: 474
  • WhatsApp Image 2019-05-06 at 08.33.16.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-05-06 at 08.33.16.jpeg
    316.3 KB · Views: 472
I am still monitoring the vertical drop issue on mine. It has happen 3 times in a month. In all cases
a reset has brought Anafi camera back to normal.
What I have noticed is before the Verticle camera drop error shows up I get this noise on screen

I goes away after reset. ( it also does not stay in place through entire flight ) however , when shut off and restarted the vertical camera dorp error is there until I do a reset. Very strange however, repeatable.

I have to admit Parrot support and parts service was vastly superior on the Bebop and Disco products . End user should not have to open up the drone and fix things that should have been caught before the product was deleivered.

Hopefully I will not have to go to Anafi number 4 not sure how helpful Parrot will be either with there parts and service problems.

The Anafi is still the drone I go to for the majority of my flights.

Is there much messing around once the lid of the parrot is open to get to the vertical camera connector? Got this error yesterday and haven't had a chance to try a reset, just checking in advance to see if i just need to pop the lid off to access it if necessary.

I got a new Anafi yesterday and had this exact same issue today, along with 2 occasions when the drone failed to fully initialise. The fan and blue Led came on but the battery lights went out and it would not respond to pressing the power button. Wonder if these two issues are connected?

This being my 2nd Anafi (the first one had a mind of its own when hand launching), I'm sending it back never to buy another Parrot drone again unfortunately.

I got a new Anafi yesterday and had this exact same issue today, along with 2 occasions when the drone failed to fully initialise. The fan and blue Led came on but the battery lights went out and it would not respond to pressing the power button. Wonder if these two issues are connected?

This being my 2nd Anafi (the first one had a mind of its own when hand launching), I'm sending it back never to buy another Parrot drone again unfortunately.

The drone not fully coming on is something i've ran into quite a bit, it sits with the fan spinning but nothing else. Sometimes it can be the wifi password is the issue, other times the sd card might not be properly inserted causing a boot up stall.

I have had the power button many times. I just remove the battery for few seconds and put it back in or exchange it with another

Parrot needs to work there QC. Have the US military RD project may help.

Hello, check out this video, it’s from my channel, it will tell you how to fix your drone!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut