Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Will the wind in the UK ever stop?

catkinson80

Reaction score
These repeated storms/high winds are driving me mad, I must have been out about 5 times recently and haven't even flown my Anafi as the winds have been too high.

What are the highest wind speeds people generally trust with the Anafi? I normally go by UAV forecast but it very rarely shows (good to fly)

Is it coming from the east?
That might be permanent.
The EU is blowing it in the direction of GB, because the Brexit has to affect GB in every negative way possible.
Think about, if that becomes a success, how many other EU countries could wanna follow

tenor.gif

haha, the EU are blowing something our way, just not sure it's wind ?
I'm not exactly sure what direction it is coming from I haven't been outside licked my finger and held it up in the air recently ?

If you have to lick your finger, to find out the direction:
That is not a strong wind that would affect any drone!

Actually, it blows from the continent ;-)

And: 19mph, gusts up to 33?
I'd fly it.
Not close to anything, and not 100meters up (in the beginning ;-) , but:
I am using UAV forecast, too. Just as a guiding instrument, not as a enactment!
I found out that this is often far away from the reality.

Look by yourself, you have 24h foresight.
And check 2morrow morning again. Changes?
UAV is using other datas, bigger airports perhaps, and they aren't always from "near you" and up2date to the location you are.
At least the wind isn't!

The wind seems to be getting steadily worse right up until it gets dark again this evening.
I think I'll just fly it today and then blame you when I crash ?

Have flown a bit in past couple of months with wind definitely just pushing 30mph, and not had any disasters. If you normally have RTH height set quite high (I do - at 100m) then probably reduce that to 50m (so long as nothing higher than that where you're flying!). The weather has certainly been a pain so far this year!

Back in the Fall, I flew in 38mph at 200 ft and got the panoramics I needed. Decent while RTH was a lot of rocking and turbulence but recovered. I did another flight at a different location with the same conditions with same results.

The next day those locations received 50" of snow.

Comes down to risk reward, my pictures sold, so the risk worked out.

The Anafi can take a lot of wind, that is my experience too!

Friday is looking pretty good in Stockton - and elsewhere in the UK. Shame I have to work.

As well as UAV Forecast I also usually check out this site - Wind Map - Britain Forecast - especially the map view [ Forecast Maps - Wind ] - (desktop site is better than mobile version)

in case you have an airport close buy: some of them offering their actual weather
Not sure that this is official, aside that 10 days is show!

Last edited:
I just look out my window, grey skies and the neighbors trees swaying back and forth more then usual I stay home and watch youtube videos of other people flying their drones LOL
No need for a web site to tell me is a good day to stay home.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gearsgood