Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Access to flight log/data without My Parrot?

RoboPilot

Reaction score
Hellow everyone, glad to be here. Hopefully somone can help me. I would like access to the GPS flight data but it looks like it is only accessible to Anafi owners through the My Parrot cloud but I would prefer not to share all my data with Parrot, that's one of the reasons I didn't go DJI. I've been looking into other solutions like ShowAnafiLogs but even those are looking for log files in .JSON format. The only .JSON fles I can find in FeeFlight 6 are the flight plan files, but then again I expect the installation folder that I can't find could contain them.. The sim card has a FDR folder with .bin files that I believe contain the flight log info. Is there an Android or PC app that can convert these files to standard GPS readable formats? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hi,

If you go to My Flights in FreeFlight6, you can download the flight log as a .json. Just press the Share icon on the side.

Thanks for the reply. I should see My Flights before pressing FLY, right? I don't. I think that's only available if you've registered with My Parrot. It looks to me like the flight data is in those .bin files on the SD card but they keep it proprietary until you allow them access to all your data via My Parrot.

What an ironic name for it. You can't have access to your own flight data until you give it to them, it really should be "Parrot's Flights", lol. Seems like somone would have reverse engineered those .bin files by now but I can't complain because I certainly can't do it. Again thanks for the reply though!

You don’t have to share your flight logs with parrot, but you might have to create a profile to access that part of the App..

You can also use other 3rd party flight log providers like Airdata, but I’m guessing you won’t be interested in that either?

Another option is to extract the metadata from your video. You won’t get all the data from your entire flight, but you will have the GPS data, telemetry, and battery from that portion of your flight.

Thanks again Vaakefjell. It's my understanding that when I create a profile it shares my flight data with Parrot. Otherwise why wouldn't I have access now? They even state that they use the data to troubleshoot warranty issues.

I don't mind using a 3rd party app so long as they don't require me to upload my flight data. Any data conversion that could be done in the cloud can be done more efficiently on my local device. The only reason to require uploading data is so they can use it themselves for something.

Is there an app you know of that can extract sequential (not one frame at a time) flight log data from the video files?

Thanks

I just made a post about it here and in the WebODM forum. I’m using it to be able to do photogrammetry from video stills, but in the workflow you get a text file from all the metadata. See here:

Edit: All the metadata from the video file, that is. I believe the flight log contains some more data, but I haven’t really looked into it in detail.

Last edited:
I really appreciate the help. It looks like your solution may be a little over my head and it doesn't seem to support windows, however thanks so much for pointing me to extracting the GPS info from the video file. I was able to download ExifTool and use it effectively. One thing though, it doesn't seem to extract any time data so speed/velocity is not available. I'm probably not doing something right but speed is not vey important to me anyway.

Thanks again for all your help!! I've got what I wanted, :)

May I ask how you used ExifTool and what data you extracted? I was not able to pull the GPS data synced to the frames, only the session tag.

Thanks for the reply. I should see My Flights before pressing FLY, right? I don't. I think that's only available if you've registered with My Parrot. It looks to me like the flight data is in those .bin files on the SD card but they keep it proprietary until you allow them access to all your data via My Parrot.

What an ironic name for it. You can't have access to your own flight data until you give it to them, it really should be "Parrot's Flights", lol. Seems like somone would have reverse engineered those .bin files by now but I can't complain because I certainly can't do it. Again thanks for the reply though!
Welcome to the forum RoboPilot good to have you
I could be incorrect but I would think that even without registering or logging into Parrots account that flights should still be saved to My Flights as json files
Out of curiosity I deleted FF6 app and did a fresh reinstall on both android and IOS devices, and did not register or login to parrots account on either device
After testing both devices, flights did show up under My fights as they normally would
So just to be sure in your case:
To access My Filghts when not registered or logged in, at splash screen where you see My.Parrot at bottom left corner tap directly on My.Parrot (not the green register link)
Once that is done should open another page that incudes My Flights along with Data confidentially
I've included a couple screen shots to see if that helps -
It's a long shot bit thought is was worth suggesting
Good Luck

Attachments

• IMG_3249 (11).jpg
    IMG_3249 (11).jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3250.jpg
    IMG_3250.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: Vaakefjell
Welcome to the forum RoboPilot good to have you
I could be incorrect but I would think that even without registering or logging into Parrots account that flights should still be saved to My Flights as json files
Out of curiosity I deleted FF6 app and did a fresh reinstall on both android and IOS devices, and did not register or login to parrots account on either device
After testing both devices, flights did show up under My fights as they normally would
So just to be sure in your case:
To access My Filghts when not registered or logged in, at splash screen where you see My.Parrot at bottom left corner tap directly on My.Parrot (not the green register link)
Once that is done should open another page that incudes My Flights along with Data confidentially
I've included a couple screen shots to see if that helps -
It's a long shot bit thought is was worth suggesting
Good Luck

Wow you are absolutely correct, I just never knew how to access it. Thanks!! It'd be great if it would explain this stuff in the manual!

And thank you for the warm welcome BRC.

Last edited:
Reactions: BRC
May I ask how you used ExifTool and what data you extracted? I was not able to pull the GPS data synced to the frames, only the session tag.
I downloaded the tool and used this for instruction:

Here' an exampe of the format:

"C:\Users\autox\Desktop\ExifTool\exiftool.exe" -p "C:\Users\autox\Desktop\ExifTool\gpx.fmt" -ee "G:\Videos\Anafi\P0150019.MP4" > "G:\Videos\Anafi\GPSdata.gpx"

-p specifies a file that contains the formatting info for the output file, for .gpx files it's "gpx.fmt". You can google for it but I attached it, just remove the trailing ".txt", I couldn't attach it here with the .fmt extension.

-ee pulls out the extended embedded metadata, i.e. the gps info.

So it's "ExifTool executable" -p "format filename" -ee "video filename" > "output filename"

I can PM you a short flight video and output gpx if necessary. I keep the above command in a .bat file and edit the filename before running, but it would make a lot more sense to just have a generic name in the file and rename the target file before running.

If you discover why it's not extracting any time info that would be cool. Cheers!

Attachments

• gpx.fmt.txt
    1.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I downloaded the tool and used this for instruction:

Here' an exampe of the format:

"C:\Users\autox\Desktop\ExifTool\exiftool.exe" -p "C:\Users\autox\Desktop\ExifTool\gpx.fmt" -ee "G:\Videos\Anafi\P0150019.MP4" > "G:\Videos\Anafi\GPSdata.gpx"

-p specifies a file that contains the formatting info for the output file, for .gpx files it's "gpx.fmt". You can google for it but I attached it, just remove the trailing ".txt", I couldn't attach it here with the .fmt extension.

-ee pulls out the extended embedded metadata, i.e. the gps info.

So it's "ExifTool executable" -p "format filename" -ee "video filename" > "output filename"

I can PM you a short flight video and output gpx if necessary. I keep the above command in a .bat file and edit the filename before running, but it would make a lot more sense to just have a generic name in the file and rename the target file before running.

If you discover why it's not extracting any time info that would be cool. Cheers!
Hah.

I guess everything is easier if you know what commands to run! Thanks mate, I’m at work now so I won’t be able to play around with this for a couple of weeks - but I’ll definitely try it. It will be interesting to see how the extracted data compare.

Reactions: RoboPilot
Hmmm… I’m not sure if it’s you or Me that’s the time traveler? 🤯

Cue Dr. Who intro music.

Attachments

• 5DBA6DBA-60E4-4B5B-8C0D-BAFC8A8587C0.jpeg
    5DBA6DBA-60E4-4B5B-8C0D-BAFC8A8587C0.jpeg
    101.7 KB · Views: 7

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members