Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Almost killed my drone.. with a Skycontroller

Eric Elmer

Reaction score
So my drone have been stuck in the tree thanks to Skycontroller 3. How did it happen?

Very simple - my phone, which is a quite ordinary 6.39 inch Xiaomi K20 phone doesnt hold in the controller - it slides out. Every time. With or without its case. And when it does, it ofc drops down on both of my sticks with all the energy from the spring-loaded mechanism of the controller.I tried my previous Xiaomi phone - same story. And that was basically the same size 5.5 inch phone. I had to hire a industrial alpinist to get it out of there. The leg is shattered but it flies for now. Anyway I cannot fly it anymore cos this a 100% efficient way to kill it for good next time. I need to find a way to hold my phone in this dаmn controller SECURELY. Does anyone knows how to achieve that?

p.s. the person who designed this controller should be fired imo

Reactions: Ratmir
This could solve your problem.

So my drone have been stuck in the tree thanks to Skycontroller 3. How did it happen?

Very simple - my phone, which is a quite ordinary 6.39 inch Xiaomi K20 phone doesnt hold in the controller - it slides out. Every time. With or without its case. And when it does, it ofc drops down on both of my sticks with all the energy from the spring-loaded mechanism of the controller.I tried my previous Xiaomi phone - same story. And that was basically the same size 5.5 inch phone. I had to hire a industrial alpinist to get it out of there. The leg is shattered but it flies for now. Anyway I cannot fly it anymore cos this a 100% efficient way to kill it for good next time. I need to find a way to hold my phone in this dаmn controller SECURELY. Does anyone knows how to achieve that?

p.s. the person who designed this controller should be fired imo
I have to agree with you that the phone holder is VERY poor...I've had my phone slip out a couple of times but luckily not in mid flight. But I do know of others that have cracked the screen on their iPhone when it popped out of the controller and landed on the ground. Not good. IMHO Parrot needs to address this in the next version of their controller. Maybe that 3rd party printed adapter referenced is an interim solution...but don't know as I' haven't tried it. I do use a third party adapter for my tablet and it has fantastic gripping rubber on it but I've never tried it with my phone.

I designed and 3D printed a phone support that slips over the arm and includes two rear extensions that stop the controller tipping over when set down and also protects the USB-A port on the controller from being stressed by the lead touching the floor.
View attachment 2731
Sounds very useful...Could you post another image with this installed on your controller so that we can get an idea of how this fits on the controller and works with your device? Also are you willing to share the 3D file? e.g., Thingiverse?
Thanks

More photos. My phone is off centre as the power button is half way down the side. I may put it on Thingiverse but I am worried that within a few hours someone will be selling my hard work on Ebay for a massive profit!
20190913_192254.jpg20190913_192418.jpg

More photos. My phone is off centre as the power button is half way down the side. I may put it on Thingiverse but I am worried that within a few hours someone will be selling my hard work on Ebay for a massive profit!
View attachment 2733View attachment 2734
Thank you.....I like it...especially the bottom "lip"..shouldn't have a problem with the phone slipping out with that lip. I wonder how well that lip works with phone cases...wide enough?

Re: selling it for profit I hope not....but we do appreciate you posting that on Thingiverse. I don't have a 3D printer but my city library will allow me to print things for free. I'm planning on getting a copy printed. Maybe you could charge a fee to print it for people that don't have a 3D printer so that you could at least make some money out of it to fund future work. Just a thought....

Last edited:
If you don't post it on Thingaverse would you be willing to share the file with trustworthy individuals like me. :)
If so I'll send you my contact info.
PS. LOL.... I like your remider sticker to put your phone in Airplane mode.

How about you make some up and sell them to us? I'd be willing to buy one.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I'm here in the PNW-USA & would provide contact info if you'd be interested in sharing the stl file.
Could print for most interested here in the USA for shipping materials, (bubble envelopes) & the cost of postage. Maybe some pocket change for ABS or PLA.
LMK - Buck

Awesome...Thanks so much!!!! I'm definitely going to print one for my own personal use.

IMG_20190903_163051_102.jpg

One guy wrote on another forum about same case, but with much worther result: phone slip to controller's sticks, fast flight back and down, tree, beton from 6 meters... As result: vertical camera broken, it's attach too, gps sensor died, echo died, all for replacent: 200 euro for for spare parts and 20-25 days to wait. He says it's his first and last time trying Parrot. Pity to heard about such thing for such great device, but it is like it is, let's help with distributing variant that Liger 1956 provided with 3D printed phone support, hope this will descrease amount of such cases.

Reactions: Jet

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut