Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Anafi Camera Quality - Blur

snosnosnosno

Reaction score
Hello all,

Been using the Anafi for a week or so - and finding the blur/mushiness/lack of detail when moving around extremely bothersome. To the point where, to me at least, the footage is unusable.

Question, is this normal? When I compare it to my P4 which in all fairness is 2+ year old tech; I don't have to constantly worry 'not too move too fast or everything turns into an obscene blur'.

Example (even the white waves blur out at 0:09):

Thank you,
J

I certainly get better video than that, and generally I am not one for messing with the video settings, especially when I have not delved into them too much, so pretty much as it came out the box.

Seen many other video's on here and they look fine. Maybe worth having a look through your settings and see what you had it set on when recording that video.

One of the video masters will shortly be along and they will put you right ;)

Hello all,

Been using the Anafi for a week or so - and finding the blur/mushiness/lack of detail when moving around extremely bothersome. To the point where, to me at least, the footage is unusable.

Question, is this normal? When I compare it to my P4 which in all fairness is 2+ year old tech; I don't have to constantly worry 'not too move too fast or everything turns into an obscene blur'.

Thank you,
J

Hey.

Your clip looks like something recorded in 1080p with HDR ON and lossless zoom YES. Am I guessing right ?

There is a error in just that setting that makes the image burry. Stop using HDR in 1080p or switch to 2.7k or 4k video until Parrot hopefully has removed that bug in the next firmware update.

Regards Leif.

Hey there!

4K @ 30FPS, PLOG, no HDR. No Zoom. (3840x2160, 29.99 frames/second - from the file)

Below cut out without any messing - and uploaded at 4k:

Hey there!

4K @ 30FPS, PLOG, no HDR. No Zoom. (3840x2160, 29.99 frames/second - from the file)

Below cut out without any messing - and uploaded at 4k:

Sorry but now I can only see 7 seconds of the clip, the rest is black. With that setting there should be no blurriness. I actually wonder, about the colors of your clip when it should be shot in P-LOG, but maybe that place might look like that in a flat profile ?

Can only suggest you to try to make a few clips where there are trees and houses so there is little more to see sharpness on. Also try using the other profile.

Regards Leif.

Your video is on YouTube encoded with a 357kb/s bitrate! That alone means that it will be fuzzy.
I checked the bitrate of a video of mine on YouTube (only HD 1920x1080) it has a bitrate of 3,547kb/s
Regards
Douglas

Your video is on YouTube encoded with a 357kb/s bitrate! That alone means that it will be fuzzy.
I checked the bitrate of a video of mine on YouTube (only HD 1920x1080) it has a bitrate of 3,547kb/s
Regards
Douglas

Hey Douglas.

It's a little weird. I suppose you encoded mean the bit rate that YouTube can provide on their connection (Connection speed), see my two pics. Or do you can see the true video bitrate on another hidden place ?

(I still see both clips as blurred.)

Regards Leif.

Udklip.PNG
Udklip-2.PNG

Leif,
I downloaded your video and I downloaded one of my own videos and I measured the bitrates using MediaInfo to get details on the two files.
I can post screenshot a little later, if you want to see them.
Your screenshots show the speed of the connection between you and YouTube. That is not the same as the bitrate for the actual video.
Regards
Douglas

Leif,
I downloaded your video and I downloaded one of my own videos and I measured the bitrates using MediaInfo to get details on the two files.
I can post screenshot a little later, if you want to see them.
Your screenshots show the speed of the connection between you and YouTube. That is not the same as the bitrate for the actual video.
Regards
Douglas

Ok Douglas. I know my own bitrate as I also measure with MediaInfo. ;)

What's I wondering is how you measure that bitrate of the video as SnoSnoSnoSno has uploaded to YouTube and we both see as blurred ?

(Of course, I know that the bitrate from Anafi is about 100 Mb/s in 4k.)

Regards Leif.

Hello all,

Thank you,
J

Hello

You should check the shutter speed in the camera settings and make sure that it is 1/60 or lower (e.g. 1/80, 1/120 etc...), if you are filming at 30 fps. Otherwise, you might experience excessive blurriness in some particular conditions such as filming fast moving objects or making fast panning or turns.

Hope this helps

Reactions: Gadget Inspector
Hello

You should check the shutter speed in the camera settings and make sure that it is 1/60 or lower (e.g. 1/80, 1/120 etc...), if you are filming at 30 fps. Otherwise, you might experience excessive blurriness in some particular conditions such as filming fast moving objects or making fast panning or turns.

Hope this helps
Good advice!
With a good ND filter you can reach lower shutter speed:
- ND4: cloudy (also dusk, dawn)
- ND8: partly cloudy (normal daylight)
- ND16: normal sunlight
- ND32/64: very bright sunlight, beach, lakes, mountains ...

Strange, but my ND filters that I use when there is a strong sun act contrary to what the last two gentlemen write. They add blurred to an over-sharp picture to make it look like more a cinematic shot. The lowest shutter speed you can achieve with an Anafi camera is 1/30 sec in at 30 FPS.

But perhaps there is something wrong with my ND filters or ....................... ??? :cry:

Regards Leif.

For additional clarification:
  • excessively fast shutter speed tends to produce unnatural stroboscopic effect
  • excessively slow shutter speed tends to produce blurriness
The soft spot should be achieved when the shutter speed is double the frame rate.

If you leave the camera settings on AUTO, you do not have control on shutter speed and ISO; therefore, it might happen that in particular low light conditions, your shutter speeds slows down too much introducing too much blurriness.

If you switch to MANUAL settings, you might want to set the shutter speed first; then, if the scene is too dark, you increase the ISO (be aware that this adds noise); if the scene is too bright, you may use ND filters to obtain the correct exposure.

I personally try to keep ISO at 100 all the times (with the Anafi I never go beyond 400 in any case) and the shutter speed between 60 and 240, using ND filters to low down the exposure as necessary. This works quite well for me in the majority of daylight filming conditions.

Thanks for the input everyone - after doing a bit more testing it seems to be really down to how the recordings come out in 'low light' (i.e. a cloudy day, in a forest etc.)

My guess is, this is down to the EIS - the shadowy parts of a video will 'streak' with the motion of the camera. (motion blur, but real mushy/ugly, specifically noticable in grass or browns)

Additionally, sometimes, its showing in some much darker parts that share a single color this type of artifacting that 'moves with the camera' - really hard to explain; in video games this is sometimes visible when clipping through walls, moving around and having something redrawn without the previous drawing of it being removed - streaking out. Feels like a similar thing - so it must be its not hitting the camera with enough light/variety in color for the EIS to do something meaningful with it.

I lack the technical lingo to properly explain it - coming from an original DJI P4 this took a bit of getting used to.. but oh well!

Thanks for the input everyone - after doing a bit more testing it seems to be really down to how the recordings come out in 'low light' (i.e. a cloudy day, in a forest etc.)

My guess is, this is down to the EIS - the shadowy parts of a video will 'streak' with the motion of the camera. (motion blur, but real mushy/ugly, specifically noticable in grass or browns)

Additionally, sometimes, its showing in some much darker parts that share a single color this type of artifacting that 'moves with the camera' - really hard to explain; in video games this is sometimes visible when clipping through walls, moving around and having something redrawn without the previous drawing of it being removed - streaking out. Feels like a similar thing - so it must be its not hitting the camera with enough light/variety in color for the EIS to do something meaningful with it.

I lack the technical lingo to properly explain it - coming from an original DJI P4 this took a bit of getting used to.. but oh well!

Hi

Could you please confirm that such artifacts are visible watching the 4K video on a 4K monitor or TV? Sometimes artifacts and noise are due to the compression algorithm adopted when watching a 4K video at lower resolution...

Thanks

Yup, it's known that the EIS is acting up at times when there is too little detail in the picture or at night (same reason).

Hi, did you manage to determine how best to adjust the settings so as to improve capture of detail ? I’ve experienced the same as you can see in the following vid:

Shoot in 4K/30fps

You fellas are pretty sharp. I too have experienced the blurry video, only had the Anafi a week. It happened this evening, an hour before dark. Came here to locate an answer. I had mine set at 1080 with HDR on, lossless zoom on YES.
I just reset to 2.7K, 24 FPS, and lossless zoom to NO. Will try again tomorrow and report back.
I just finished a short 2 minute or so video of the footage we shot today. I edited out the blurry stuff though, left only the good. I had configured a flight plan, but as it was half way through it's program, I must have stopped it by accident. That's were the video ends. Shame too, that was some good footage when it cuts off. ROOKIE...

Reactions: mattbgbr

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut