Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Anafi camera weakness (color anomaly)

I saw some recent videos on you tube (posted this week).
I didn't notice any color problems.
I conclude that these are reflections of light in specific environments and depending on the angle of incidence of light.
Besides, if there was a problem with the camera I think this would be visible on every surface and would be visible all the time.
No reflection. It does not depend on the angle of incidence of the lights. Believe me, because I have this phenomenon.
It's true that not all Anafi cameras are like this, but in an hour's search you will find 3-4 of them on youtube that are wrong.
Many times it is very hard to spot, but there are also some where it's as clear and confusing as here: watch to 1:55

Last edited:
Reactions: adamS
Gipsz, you're exactly right. In a shot of snow, colour values show around 10% less green and blue, even though the snow is uniform. Only since moving to the Arctic have I noticed consistently, and it's a big problem. I've had a whole series of stock shots rejected by Stocksy (who are extremely quality-conscious) for what they diagnosed as excess magenta in the centre of the image.
Happens in all picture modes including HDR.

I think your idea of creating a matte in post is a good one, however it's a real nuisance.
I have had my saturation turned up to +1 and sharpening -1 so will return both to 0 and reply again tomorrow if it fixes the problem. But adjustments are not supposed to be applied to HDR anyway (though some firmware versions did).

Again, thank you for diagnosing the problem. I was about to send it back to Parrot.
I think it will speed my migration across to an Autel Evo as I need consistent colour in snow for broadcast work.

I believe the problem is with ND filters
What ND filters? I don't have an ND filter.
The problem is with the Anafi optics! I’ve discovered this problem on a lot of recordings, but most people (who don’t use it for professional purposes) aren’t bothered by this phenomenon.

Gipsz, you're exactly right. In a shot of snow, colour values show around 10% less green and blue, even though the snow is uniform. Only since moving to the Arctic have I noticed consistently, and it's a big problem. I've had a whole series of stock shots rejected by Stocksy (who are extremely quality-conscious) for what they diagnosed as excess magenta in the centre of the image.
Happens in all picture modes including HDR.

I think your idea of creating a matte in post is a good one, however it's a real nuisance.
I have had my saturation turned up to +1 and sharpening -1 so will return both to 0 and reply again tomorrow if it fixes the problem. But adjustments are not supposed to be applied to HDR anyway (though some firmware versions did).

Again, thank you for diagnosing the problem. I was about to send it back to Parrot.
I think it will speed my migration across to an Autel Evo as I need consistent colour in snow for broadcast work.
Thank you for your comment. According to them, it wasn’t just me who noticed. Many people in this post looked stupid ...
I will not send Anafi back because the problem can be solved by post-production. In the editing software (GV. Edius) I created a soft-edged oval masked area where I set the hue bluer. I saved this mask as Anafi_mask. All you have to do is throw it on the video track and fix the error. With this post, I did not want to explain the cause of the error and how it was corrected, but I would have wondered if others were affected by this problem. Since I also found quite a few among the youtube videos where this weakness is noticeable. Since you have confirmed that you have experienced this, it is certainly not a unique phenomenon.

Last edited:
Thank you for your comment. According to them, it wasn’t just me who noticed. Many people in this post looked stupid ...
I will not send Anafi back because the problem can be solved by post-production. In the editing software (GV. Edius) I created a soft-edged oval masked area where I set the hue bluer. I saved this mask as Anafi_mask. All you have to do is throw it on the video track and fix the error. With this post, I did not want to explain the cause of the error and how it was corrected, but I would have wondered if others were affected by this problem. Since I also found quite a few among the youtube videos where this weakness is noticeable. Since you have confirmed that you have experienced this, it is certainly not a unique phenomenon.
Yes, you're not seeing things. However I don't think it's consistent across Anafi units. And I'm curious what proportion of Anafis are affected...
My Anafi's colour aberrations also have blue edges, as can be seen in this video (I uploaded the file straight from the Anafi's microSD).
I've used the intense profile to 'intensify' the anomaly but it's there in all settings, with image controls all reset.
And to certain interlocutors in this thread, yes you remove all filters before testing... ? ...lenscap too can help! ;)
I've sent the video to Parrot Scandinavia, as it makes the Anafi unusable for professionals in film & television.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
folgorem