Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Anafi Ground Speed

pmh1nic

Reaction score
I'm thinking about my first trip to the beach with the Anafi and had a question regarding flight mode, wind speed and ground speed.

I'm assuming the speed of the drone is based on ground speed as calculated via GPS. Sport mode allows for the highest speed but if you're in video mode will the drone attempt to compensate for wind by utilizing whatever power is available to keep the drone in a particular location regardless of variations in wind speed?

I realize that at some point regardless of the mode you're in the wind could overcome the drone's maximum speed. Short of that amount of wind will video mode ramp up the "speed" to compensate for wind until the maximum capability of the drone is reached? Or is there a limit short of that when flying in video mode?

I apologize if my question is somewhat convoluted.

I have flown Anafi also in strong wind situations and I can confirm, that Anafi uses all power to hold position. Moving from a hoovering position is done with the limits of video or sport mode.

I have flown Anafi also in strong wind situations and I can confirm, that Anafi uses all power to hold position. Moving from a hoovering position is done with the limits of video or sport mode.

Thanks!

I knew you would get maximum performance in sport mode but wasn't sure if in camera mode the drone would use all available power to maintain its position. I'm not planning to do anything crazy (at least not in the beginning :) ) but didn't want to launch the bird in moderate wind (7~ 8 mph) and have it fly off because I was in video mode and not having all available power to stabilize the Anafi.

With hands off the controller the Anafi will do whatever it can to hold position regardless of flight mode. If it is unable to hold position you will get a "conditions are dangerous" warning message. It can handle a strong steady sea breeze quite easily - it does not like gusty conditions. In sport mode the performance is relative to wind speed - it will move quite fast when going downwind!

Last edited:
I'd be interested to know how fast anyone has had their Anafi fly (with a decent tailwind).

Yesterday curiosity got the better of me and I took it to a windy field with no obstacles - wind speed was reported as being about 12 mph (20 km/h) on various weather websites.

I flew three routes with the wind, about 400m long each one, and the fastest recorded was 18.77 m/s - or 42 mph / 67.6 km/h.

Obviously it was considerably slower on each return journey!

I did get to fly at the beach with about a 15 knot wind and the Anafi was steady as a rock. For such a light bird it is very stable.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut