Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Anafi Hand Land Experience

Ampheus

Reaction score
Hi,
I can't find in this forum something about the Anafi hand land experience. I've tried a few hand lands so far and did not found the "trick" to get it land reliably smoothly.

When landing I fly the drone with the back facing to me and in around 1m height. Then placing my flat hand about 20cm below it and hit the left stick down. In most cases it is approaching and even touching the palm of my hand but not stopping the motors but dancing on my hand. For sure - if I try to grab it, it starts fighting and I need to turn it 90 deg to stop. Often it even tends to flip forward (without grabbing) and sometimes I dropped it and it had a semi-hard land on the ground. Only a few times it worked flawless. So I'm wondering if there is a trick to get it flawless every time or is hand landing unreliably in your eyes? Maybe I do not put my hand even enough???

So - what's your experience with (non-grabbing) hand land? Appreciate any tricks or "know how" you can share.

Thanks.

Best,
Thomas.

Hi,
I can't find in this forum something about the Anafi hand land experience. I've tried a few hand lands so far and did not found the "trick" to get it land reliably smoothly.

When landing I fly the drone with the back facing to me and in around 1m height. Then placing my flat hand about 20cm below it and hit the left stick down. In most cases it is approaching and even touching the palm of my hand but not stopping the motors but dancing on my hand. For sure - if I try to grab it, it starts fighting and I need to turn it 90 deg to stop. Often it even tends to flip forward (without grabbing) and sometimes I dropped it and it had a semi-hard land on the ground. Only a few times it worked flawless. So I'm wondering if there is a trick to get it flawless every time or is hand landing unreliably in your eyes? Maybe I do not put my hand even enough???

So - what's your experience with (non-grabbing) hand land? Appreciate any tricks or "know how" you can share.

Thanks.

Best,
Thomas.
A video in french about Hand Landing.
I use his advices and it worked well for me.
Hand landing video in french

Did you hit auto land? You have to do that. It’s not a manual landing and in fact you can’t “stick” land the Anafi. It always uses the auto take off and landing button.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Exactly! I too had to learn this the hard way.....the little bugger nipped my fingertips! Gotta love those hinged props....no blood at all! :)

There is a video on YouTube in english that also is pretty good:

You can in fact "stick" land the Anafi, but only on a good surface or launch pad. Using the auto land button is a much better way to land and the only way to hand land. However, it is not perfect and my success rate is about 75%. The speed at which you move your hand under it in the hover is key.....slowly....and about 30 cm, not 20. And don't flinch! :oops:

Keeping your closed palm perfectly steady until the props stop is important. I have also found that wind over about 5 mph makes hand landing iffy....in those conditions I just grab it.

Did you hit auto land? You have to do that. It’s not a manual landing and in fact you can’t “stick” land the Anafi. It always uses the auto take off and landing button.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You don't have to press auto-land. Just act on stick (down) until it reach your palm and keep maintain the stick down until the props stop (of course with the proper Hand launch option selected before you take off)

This definitely did NOT work for me! The props did not shut down immediately and the thing was bouncing around on my hand and I nearly dropped it. Just holding the stick down works fine on a launch pad, but still the props don't stop as fast as when using auto-land.

Practice. I find the best way is to have the drone facing away so you and the drone agree on left and right. I bring the drone to about chin height, almost arm's length away then hit the land button. The drone starts to slowly descend, then, and only then, I stick my hand out as flat as I can directly under it. The drone normally lands about mid-chest height. Often it is perfectly happy to land and shut off. But sometimes it gets a bit skittish. I have made a few grabs at it and I have made contact with the props including at least one occasion in which the motors cut out. I have never had any damage to my hands. If you have had to finish a flight before the battery is drained it can be a good idea to practice hand launches and hand landings so that you gain in confidence. Using the landing button is a better practice as the drone is expecting to land. I think it might be quicker to conclude that it has landed rather than it just not making the downward progress it was anticipating. The faster it shuts down the better the landing is and the more it impresses any onlookers. The least impressive landings involve making a grab at the drone, touching the props, yelping in shock, sticking your fingers in your mouth while the drone drops upside down onto the surface you wanted to avoid landing on. Yes, try not to do that.

• Haha
Reactions: HBR and Webvan
... The least impressive landings involve making a grab at the drone, touching the props, yelping in shock, sticking your fingers in your mouth while the drone drops upside down onto the surface you wanted to avoid landing on. Yes, try not to do that.
? I've done that! But I also have grabbed the drone while it was bouncing around in the wind and just turned it 90 degrees without being nipped. I have had the best luck in hand landings in very light winds. I still use a launching pad whenever I can. That has a 100% success rate.

it happened to me that Anafi didn't shut down the engines when i landed in a higher spot than the take-off. I had moved the landing pad. Does this have any meaning?

? I've done that! But I also have grabbed the drone while it was bouncing around in the wind and just turned it 90 degrees without being nipped. I have had the best luck in hand landings in very light winds. I still use a launching pad whenever I can. That has a 100% success rate.

The grasp and twist-of-death is a way to land but Parrot doesn't recommend it for the regular landings because it puts a strain on the motors. You can hear the strain as the motor note briefly rises to an insane crescendo before cutting out. Regard it like climbing out onto the fire escape rather than walking out of the front door and locking it behind you. You should be confident that you can do it when you need to but you shouldn't be doing it all the time. While it may well be fun to slide down the emergency chute and deploy the dinghy a good airline pilot doesn't do it as a matter of routine. I now avoid the twist-of-death except for genuine emergencies.

Reactions: Dirk_ANAFI
Good advice!!! Luckily, the planes I flew didn't have emergency chutes or I would have wanted to try one out. If I landed gear up I would just open the door and step out 6 inches to the ground. Happily, I never did land gear up. ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut