Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Anafi Phone / Tablet recommendations, iOS or Android?

stromatolite

Reaction score
Hello ...
After considering alternatives such as Autel Evo or DJI ma, thinking to buy an Anafi... and need a phone /tablet to operate it. Would you recommend going Android or iOS? Unfortunately I can find little website info from Parrot on either this aspect or device compatibility. I have an iPhone4s running iOS 9.3.5 which seems enough (albeit rather small a screen) or Samsung Galaxy Tab A tablet running 7.1.1 (which should work but apparently has connectivity issues). Is the list in another thread on compatibility up to date with current Freeflight release?

So as I likely need something different, your advice as to direction and options would be very appreciated. Cost is a significant factor.

... Is the list in another thread on compatibility up to date with current Freeflight release?...
Yes, I believe so. As you consider possible devices to use with the controller, be aware that there is a lot going on in the Fly screen, and the bigger your screen the easier it is to see/use all of the buttons. A tablet would be great, but you would need some extra hardware to attach it. There are several types available.

My biggest problem is with screen brightness on an older Nexus 6P. I simply can't see the screen in sunlight at max brightness. I have to use a shroud and it is really awkward. Any new device I purchase would have screen brightness at the very top of the list of features.

Don't make any decisions before trying out your devices after buying the Anafi. The Galaxy may work fine. The list is not exhaustive by any means, and two people using the (theoretically) exact same device may have different experiences.....rather typical in the cyberworld. :unsure:

I don't think there is much difference in the way iOS or Android works with Freeflight 6 as far as the user experience goes. All the screen shots I've looked at seem very close. However, I don't have any experience with either of your devices, so hopefully someone else will chime in.

As for the Anafi itself, I couldn't be more positive about all of its features, particularly its very low noise level. It's a stealthy little bugger!

Reactions: JD4x4
Compass! My next phone has to have a compass in it.
I have used a tablet with the Anafi but it isn't worth the effort. The controller is designed to work very well with a phone, especially a phone that has a compass/magnetometer in it. I think I will be buying a new phone soon, not too big for the Sky Controller's clamp, with a compass, 4G and a bright screen.

None of the "affordable" options (either IOS or Android) are going to get bright enough in the direct sun.
Things to look for is as much memory (ram) as possible (at least 3 Gb) and fastest CPU that is possible in the budget. Most "octo-cores" will have enough "ummph" but fast is better....
Look for built-in GPS and Barometer for tracking with the Anafi.
People love the Apple Ipad mini 4's ( I think that is the latest) but some won't have a GPS chip. No personal experience with Apple stuff so the expert users of those might have more input there.
It seems that the Parrot apps are more "Android-friendly" as opposed to DJI which is the opposite

I personally recommend and use a Samsung Note8 and it has plenty of power, all the features, and the brightest screen. I use it as my primary phone and it replaced the "dedicated" tablet I was using for flying the drones ( although I do miss the 8" tablets view size at times the ability to SEE the screen in the Phoenix sun more than makes up for it) so although it is an expensive phone, It does both duties very well!!

If you often want to use follow-me, a tablet is not the best choice, because nearly all of them have no barometer sensor.

Hello ...
After considering alternatives such as Autel Evo or DJI ma, thinking to buy an Anafi... and need a phone /tablet to operate it. Would you recommend going Android or iOS? Unfortunately I can find little website info from Parrot on either this aspect or device compatibility. I have an iPhone4s running iOS 9.3.5 which seems enough (albeit rather small a screen) or Samsung Galaxy Tab A tablet running 7.1.1 (which should work but apparently has connectivity issues). Is the list in another thread on compatibility up to date with current Freeflight release?

So as I likely need something different, your advice as to direction and options would be very appreciated. Cost is a significant factor.
Hi. I am an Apple fan and used Anafi with iPhone 7 with a great pleasure. But brightness is not so good on sunny days.
So I changed for a €250/6.3" Android device with a marvellous brithness (My dedicated Android device for Anafi)
The only problem with Android devices is that the phone is permanently charged by SC3 controller when plugded.
There is a mod you can do : I tried it - easy to do - and use it for more than 80 flights now without any problem.
Check the mod here :
Prevent SC3 to charge Android phones

Last edited:
I use my iPad when flying my Anafi, Mavic Air and Spark and have never had connection or lag problems.
It's screen size is perfect for me although I wouldn't mind using my LG 4k television but I can't find a power cord long enough. ?

I have tried my iPad pro 9.7 on my Anafi Thermal and it doesn't work. Anyone know why?
I use my Nvidia Shield and iPhone 6 and works great.

iOS
I have an iPad mini 4 - Good screen (a little on the dim side but ok with a shade made of cardboard). No GPS included, had to buy an external Bluetooth GPS (‘round 100$ like the Garmin GLO). Use it on a tripod so customers can see pics.
The iPad has an inboard barometer for height when needed (ex follow me).
Power is sufficient for the FF6 app.

Android
Also have an Android PocoPhone - Better screen (but not perfect, made also a shade). Use it as a backup. Has an excellent embedded GPS (but no barometer ship, but I almost never need baro info on the phone side)
Good to know : the phone fits in cheap goggles to practice FPV (that is one plus for the Anafi). The Android app has been modified to access more functions (you can’t do that with iOS).

Of the different smart devices I have used I have found that the Huawei M5Lite8 to be the best solution for me.

Screen brightness, while not as bright as something like a DJI Smart Controller, is brighter than most comparable devices.

Battery life is excellent. It will easily cope with a full day of use.

GPS. Acquisition is very quick. It uses the GPS/GLONASS/BeiDuo constellations. It doesn’t have a magnetometer nor a barometer.

I went with the 8inch version instead of the 10inch as the screen is big enough to see everything clearly but not so large that it becomes cumbersome to carry around.

As well as using it with my Anafi’s I also use it with my DJI stuff, Betaflight quads and hex’s, and my Pixhawk builds with QGroundcontrol and Skydroid Long Range systems.

Another reason for my choice of this device are the WiFi capabilities. Many Android devices sold in Europe are restricted to the number of available channels on 5.8GHz. The M5Lite8 does not have these limitations which allows me to use my US spec Yuneec CGO3 on a SteadyGrip.

Nidge

Hello ...

I have tried my iPad pro 9.7 on my Anafi Thermal and it doesn't work. Anyone know why?
I use my Nvidia Shield and iPhone 6 and works great.
I use a 9.7 with my anafi usa (wired) and don't have any issues. simply plug one end in the Ipad and the other USB-A to the controller.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stefante