Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Anafi problem.

ROBANAFI

Reaction score
So i've had my Anafi since August and and i'll admit i've had 3 small crashes. My drone flies normally 99% of the time but occasionally it does this:

has anyone had any experience of this? its only happened above 70m so i'm thinking it may just be the wind gusts. Its definitely not birds but its worrying as it happens quite a lot!

No, that's not ok.
Do a total reset and recalibration.
The yaw movements seem to me extremely fast. In film mode my Anafi turns left/right much more slowly.
Did you change settings?
If yes try to restore the default settings.

Reactions: ROBANAFI
That would be the Anafi fighting strong winds up high. I have a video exactly just like that and a few others on here one also. Welcome to the club :)

No, that's not ok.
Do a total reset and recalibration.
The yaw movements seem to me extremely fast. In film mode my Anafi turns left/right much more slowly.
Did you change settings?
If yes try to restore the default settings.

This was taken in sport mode(it doesnt do it all the time). I'll do a reset on the settings but i haven't changed too much. This is the original video(problem @2:05)

Wind gusts, anything over 15 miles gusts will doi that. It bests handles when wind coming from the sides.

That would be the Anafi fighting strong winds up high. I have a video exactly just like that and a few others on here one also. Welcome to the club :)

so were just saying its the wind? I'm going to treat my drone with new props and re-calibration though :)

So i've had my Anafi since August and and i'll admit i've had 3 small crashes. My drone flies normally 99% of the time but occasionally it does this:

has anyone had any experience of this? its only happened above 70m so i'm thinking it may just be the wind gusts. Its definitely not birds but its worrying as it happens quite a lot!

It's probably your gimbal that recalibrates because it's running too tight or has come out of alignment during the flight. You should try to recall. IMU and the camera. Once done, there is a big chance that it will stop.

Or perhaps you are flying with too heavy a filter on the camera ?

Regards Leif.

I also recently experienced a similar problem on 3 different occasions, but only since the FF6.2 update. I have well over 100 flights on my Anafi, and have been flying quads for almost 5 years, during which time I've never experienced anything like this until now. The most recent occurrence happened yesterday, the yawing was much more violent than the previous occasions, after which the drone started a very rapid, un-commanded, straight line movement to the left. Opposite control had no effect, so I initiated RTH. The machine then turned and headed back to the home spot and started to descend, but would not come below approx 30 meters. It stabilized in a hover at approximately 30 meters but would not descend, even though I had selected the "Land" command, and the "Landing" indicator box was flashing. Full descend stick had no effect. I also noticed that there was an "SD Card Full" warning, even though I was only shooting 1080/30 for about 5-6 minutes. After a minute or so of no response, I attempted to make a gentle descending spiral to the left, which the Anafi did execute and landed uneventfully.

It turned out the SD card had over 80% capacity remaining.

Prior to flying again, I re-calibrated the magnetometer and double formatted the SD card. I flew 4 good flights this morning and the machine performed flawlessly. Is there a possible glitch/interaction between the IMU and the SD card?

I also recently experienced a similar problem on 3 different occasions, but only since the FF6.2 update. I have well over 100 flights on my Anafi, and have been flying quads for almost 5 years, during which time I've never experienced anything like this until now. The most recent occurrence happened yesterday, the yawing was much more violent than the previous occasions, after which the drone started a very rapid, un-commanded, straight line movement to the left. Opposite control had no effect, so I initiated RTH. The machine then turned and headed back to the home spot and started to descend, but would not come below approx 30 meters. It stabilized in a hover at approximately 30 meters but would not descend, even though I had selected the "Land" command, and the "Landing" indicator box was flashing. Full descend stick had no effect. I also noticed that there was an "SD Card Full" warning, even though I was only shooting 1080/30 for about 5-6 minutes. After a minute or so of no response, I attempted to make a gentle descending spiral to the left, which the Anafi did execute and landed uneventfully.

It turned out the SD card had over 80% capacity remaining.

Prior to flying again, I re-calibrated the magnetometer and double formatted the SD card. I flew 4 good flights this morning and the machine performed flawlessly. Is there a possible glitch/interaction between the IMU and the SD card?

I'm glad you got Anafi's whole home again. Your SD card has nothing to do with your Anafi's strange behavior.

There is something that may indicate there was a computer problem in either Anafi or your controller. Try to calibrate your controller as well. If there are more strange things happen I would highly recommend you raise a warranty case the place you bought your Anafi so it does not fly away between you hands.

I have flown 4 batteries with the new version FreeFligth 6 and firmware without experiencing anything. However, I have not been all the flying modes through.

Good luck, greetings Leif.

Reactions: Naviator
I've had very similar issues (see below). I attribute it to two things. The yaw and return of less than 50 degrees is likely gusts. The twisting through 90+ degrees while stationary or descending straight down is probably calibration. I've now made a point of recalibrating the Anafi while facing north away from all metal every couple of weeks. I still get the gusts because I'm dumb/stubborn enough to fly on the edge of conditions but the twist has stopped.

Reactions: Saijin_Naib
That is a good point Bob, about facing North when calibrating. I only have seen one Tech guy mention this and he worked for Yuneec. In one of his compass calibration videos he did say you need to be facing true magnetic North to get a proper compass calibration. I have always followed that rule over the last 5 years and never had a problem with calibration on any of my quads.

Reactions: Saijin_Naib
That is a good point Bob, about facing North when calibrating. I only have seen one Tech guy mention this and he worked for Yuneec. In one of his compass calibration videos he did say you need to be facing true magnetic North to get a proper compass calibration. I have always followed that rule over the last 5 years and never had a problem with calibration on any of my quads.

I don't buy it. Either the industry is ignorant of that requirement or it's simply not a requirement otherwise it would be flagged up in the calibration documentation and on the screen of the app when doing so given the importance of the compass. Having just checked the manual for my X-Star Premium it has a list of requirements when calibrating and none of them mention orientation toward true magnetic north.

Reactions: Landbo
I am programming microcontrollers also connected to orientation sensors or IMUs.
For calibrating magnetic sensors you only have to turn the sensor/device 360° on the yaw axis once in a surrounding without magnetic or metal parts. Like for the gyroscope the calibration can also be done automatically.

For calibrating acceleration sensors you have to turn the sensor/device 360° on all three axis' once. That is exactly the calibrating process the Anafi needs. So for me it's obvious that this is for the acceleration sensor only.

So none of these calibration procedures needs an orientation to magnetic north.

Reactions: Landbo
I am only going by what a trained tech for a UAV company had posting in a tutorial for compass calibration. Your free to do as you please. All I said it has work well for me for the past 5 years and your welcome to do the same or not. If you care to watch the video I am referring to he mentions it around 1:18 into the video. Like I said he is a trained tech and I am not so I took his advice.

I am only going by what a trained tech for a UAV company had posting in a tutorial for compass calibration. Your free to do as you please. All I said it has work well for me for the past 5 years and your welcome to do the same or not. If you care to watch the video I am referring to he mentions it around 1:18 into the video. Like I said he is a trained tech and I am not so I took his advice.

No worries, I wasn't questioning your practices heck if wearing your lucky slippers every flight has resulted in no crashes please continue! :)

I was simply questioning the advice given by the tech guy because it seems like voodoo as it's not mentioned in any of the calibration instructions for any of the drones I own. So if it had any bearing on the calibration of a flight critical component it would be in the instructions. Further to that, how many people carry a calibrated compass to find true magnetic north in the first place?

Again, I'm not calling you out, just the advice from the tech guy.

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
Further to that, how many people carry a calibrated compass to find true magnetic north in the first place?

It could very well be with improved tech that might not be needed anymore. The way I figure it 2 seconds to turn north and calibrate is not a big deal so I do it just by habit now.
LOL I actually have my hunting compass in my truck if I need it, guess I should but my lucky slippers in there to :)

Does kind of make you wonder why some companies have N,E,W&S printed on their landing pads.
landing.png

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut