Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Anafi - Standard 4K Natural Untouched Footage 01

Krusty Geeza

Reaction score
Website
alexmausolf.com
When I was searching for untouched footage of the Anafi's recording abilities prior to making my purchase, there were very few available videos that hadn't been tweaked or sharpened, to make it appear better. So here is my first straight out of camera demonstration of the Parrot Anafi, recorded in standard 16:9 4K with Natural finishing & no editing to pretty it up in any way, just the cuts to make this montage.

There was a really weird haze in the distance every direction you looked when this was recorded, I still haven't found out what that was all about, I just hope it wasn't a bushfire anywhere.

Recorded at ISO 100, 25 fps, Sunny WB, 1/50, with a cheap YC branded ND 32 filter in place.

Last edited:
I can see the "haze" directly above the horizon.
Here in Europe that's quite normal because of the air humidity.
In addition the horizon is the point of the most molecules of the air between your camera and the horizon.
So isn't that "normal"?

Reactions: Krusty Geeza
When I was searching for untouched footage of the Anafi's recording abilities prior to making my purchase, there were very few available videos that hadn't been tweaked or sharpened, to make it appear better. So here is my first straight out of camera demonstration of the Parrot Anafi, recorded in standard 16:9 4K with Natural finishing & no editing to pretty it up in any way, just the cuts to make this montage.

There was a really weird haze in the distance every direction you looked when this was recorded, I still haven't found out what that was all about, I just hope it wasn't a bushfire anywhere.

Recorded at ISO 100, 25 fps, Sunny WB, 1/50, with a cheap YC branded ND 32 filter in place.

I just had to find out what "haze" was for something, since the word here in NW Denmark has a different meaning. :geek:

Yes when hot air meets cold water and landmasses give fog and mist/haze. We often see that here on the west coast of Denmark. The mist and fog are just clouds that reach all the way down to the water and land and have a different moisture percentage depending on what we see it as (fog/haze/mist). Keep in mind it is the air's moisture content that determines how far or how near you can see things clearly.

Regards, Leif.

I can see the "haze" directly above the horizon.
Here in Europe that's quite normal because of the air humidity.
In addition the horizon is the point of the most molecules of the air between your camera and the horizon.
So isn't that "normal"?
I just had to find out what "haze" was for something, since the word here in NW Denmark has a different meaning. :geek:

Yes when hot air meets cold water and landmasses give fog and mist/haze. We often see that here on the west coast of Denmark. The mist and fog are just clouds that reach all the way down to the water and land and have a different moisture percentage depending on what we see it as (fog/haze/mist). Keep in mind it is the air's moisture content that determines how far or how near you can see things clearly.

Regards, Leif.
Good guesses you two, but no prize this time! ;) Turns out it was due to preemptive burn offs all around the state I live in as there is a really high bushfire risk coming up tomorrow. It's common practice to every now & then burn off sections of grassland & undergrowth, so that if there are fires, there is already a fire-break in place.

This was more like a dirty fog that filled the entire sky, from the horizon up to the zenith. Normally with burnoffs you can smell the burnt grass smell, but not yesterday, maybe because it was very low wind.

Ok, Krusty Geeza, thank's for your explanation.
But now what is this thread all about? Is there any intended message related to your video?
What do you think about that native footage? Why did you post it?

Ok, Krusty Geeza, thank's for your explanation.
But now what is this thread all about? Is there any intended message related to your video?
What do you think about that native footage? Why did you post it?
Howdy Dirk. I mustn't have been very clear in my first paragraph of the first post in this thread. I had thought that explained what it is about & why I posted it.

I actually like the footage with the Natural finish applied as it comes straight out of the Anafi's camera & see very little need to have to labour over video editing as a result.

Wow! The one good thing about being ignorant when it comes to photograph is you enjoy the view without the burden of a trained eye to see the things that may not be perfect. The other side of the coin is not fully appreciating how much work goes into get the Wow.

Good guesses you two, but no prize this time! ;) Turns out it was due to preemptive burn offs all around the state I live in as there is a really high bushfire risk coming up tomorrow. It's common practice to every now & then burn off sections of grassland & undergrowth, so that if there are fires, there is already a fire-break in place.

This was more like a dirty fog that filled the entire sky, from the horizon up to the zenith. Normally with burnoffs you can smell the burnt grass smell, but not yesterday, maybe because it was very low wind.

When you write as you do, I understand it is not a bushfire as you should be able to smell smoke at the same time. There is also a layer of haze out on the horizon far out over the water 90 dg on the coast.

Anafi makes good video video with good colors in Auto and NAT mode. In fact, I think the camera is good at adjusting the video/image lighting when compared to the DJI Mavic Pro. The same applies to the white balance.

Normally there will blow a light wind from the sea into the land when the sun is high on the sky and there is no other wind blowing. We call the phenomenon a sea breeze here in Denmark.

Incidentally the word "haze", here where I live, means having a high alcohol boost in the blood path/stream.

Regards, Leif.

Last edited:
The last pic below is the untouched version, taken with the auto settings of the ANAFI. I know it’s a pic instead of video, but it’s raw nonetheless.
It’s amazing the differences some tweaking of the original pics can make. (I’m still learning how to use all these neat post-processing tools, so not even close to being good at it at this point. ☺).
The last of the three pics below is the original, taken a bit after sunup, which is very roughly 90 degrees to the left (thus not in the pic). Used auto settings on this one. So subsequently transferred to my iPhone XS Max and used the photo editing tools to create the middle pic. I think of the three, it’s probably closest to what the lighting was actually like that morning a couple days ago.
Finally, the first pic was created by taking the second pic and using Lightroom CC on my iPad. It’s still amazing to me, even though it’s been around a while, that a single pic can be displayed in so many different ways!

Kevin

P.S. - The pic is of Lake Lanier in Georgia.

Attachments

• EF98443A-501A-4022-9154-E24C6A0D9B42.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 14
  • C0FA26E7-74D3-478C-B2E6-FC90F1CDD2B8.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 12
  • 50F29618-4623-4EA9-9522-DB04E028E079.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
First off I'd really like to thank you all for your patience & tolerance of me as I've been repeatedly testing, retesting & investigating the limitations of the Anafi in regards to video capture. As a result of that process for me, I can now use it to good result, I think. Sometimes it's hard to watch somebody stumbling around trying to work things out for themselves, as humans we like to help where we can. So thanks again for allowing me the time & space to go through this process. Coming from photography to video there's a lot to learn & understand about the processes involved, both creatively & technically with both capture & editing / presentation. ✌

Wow! The one good thing about being ignorant when it comes to photograph is you enjoy the view without the burden of a trained eye to see the things that may not be perfect. The other side of the coin is not fully appreciating how much work goes into get the Wow.
Just enjoy your Anafi, knowing that the footage captured straight out of camera, with no editing required is pretty dang good!

Nice color balance and overall real look. Looks like a nice place to be instead of the crap weather in Chicago area
I am very lucky actually, where I live is at the outer Southern suburbs of my city with spectacular beaches, great conservation parks a river that winds on through here with wetlands & estuaries, even some old abandoned places to keep Krusty Geeza happy!

The weather here is for the most part pretty good, it's very temperate & Mediterranean in pattern. :love:

... in Europe too... :)
I've seen some lovely images & video come out of Europe! It's the UK where it's grey & overcast almost every day! ;)

Just depends on Europe :)

Straight Horizontal Pano (well at 50%, because the forum doesn't like 8000x4000 images....):

View attachment 1616
Yep, lovely blue skies as far as the eye can see!

When you write as you do, I understand it is not a bushfire as you should be able to smell smoke at the same time. There is also a layer of haze out on the horizon far out over the water 90 dg on the coast.

Anafi makes good video video with good colors in Auto and NAT mode. In fact, I think the camera is good at adjusting the video/image lighting when compared to the DJI Mavic Pro. The same applies to the white balance.

Normally there will blow a light wind from the sea into the land when the sun is high on the sky and there is no other wind blowing. We call the phenomenon a sea breeze here in Denmark.

Incidentally the word "haze", here where I live, means having a high alcohol boost in the blood path/stream.

Regards, Leif.
I agree with you, Leif, I think the Anafi is superior to the original Mavic Pro in all of its image quality. The only things that the original Mavic Pro has better than the Anafi are stabilisation of the gimbal & distance & reception, due to not using wifi.

Now I get what @Dirk_ANAFI was on about with the haze on the horizon! I'm a bit slow on the uptake sometimes... :rolleyes: I love that little thin strip of white there in my long exposure photographs, like in this one.

I guess that in Amsterdam the word "haze" would mean something else? ;) o_O:ROFLMAO:

This is one of my favoutites from last summer when it was warm waiting for nice
weather

View attachment 1617

There's the @Dirk_ANAFI haze!

The last pic below is the untouched version, taken with the auto settings of the ANAFI. I know it’s a pic instead of video, but it’s raw nonetheless.
It’s amazing the differences some tweaking of the original pics can make. (I’m still learning how to use all these neat post-processing tools, so not even close to being good at it at this point. ☺).
The last of the three pics below is the original, taken a bit after sunup, which is very roughly 90 degrees to the left (thus not in the pic). Used auto settings on this one. So subsequently transferred to my iPhone XS Max and used the photo editing tools to create the middle pic. I think of the three, it’s probably closest to what the lighting was actually like that morning a couple days ago.
Finally, the first pic was created by taking the second pic and using Lightroom CC on my iPad. It’s still amazing to me, even though it’s been around a while, that a single pic can be displayed in so many different ways!

Kevin

P.S. - The pic is of Lake Lanier in Georgia.
Looks like a gorgeous area there, with plenty of photo & video opportunity!

My recommendation is always to edit on a computer & not on a tablet or mobile phone. Most of them have colour changing of some sort or another taking place, so that under different light sources you are seeing consistent colours, but that then produces weird colour vision for those who have calibrated monitors, as it has been edited to look right under just a specific type of light.

Capture DNG's & edit them, there's less noise, better shadow & highlight recovery potential & much more wriggle room with colour manipulation.

I agree with you, Leif, I think the Anafi is superior to the original Mavic Pro in all of its image quality. The only things that the original Mavic Pro has better than the Anafi are stabilisation of the gimbal & distance & reception, due to not using wifi.

I guess that in Amsterdam the word "haze" would mean something else? ;)o_O:ROFLMAO:

Yes sometimes, however, it is my experience that Mavic Pro cannot keep its gimbal at rest if you fly more than than 2-3 m/s and there is a bit of wind. So I do not quite agree.

If you have "haze" in Amsterdam, you are probably very ill. According to Google translate, this means you have Lightheadedness in English.

Regards, Leif.

Looks like a gorgeous area there, with plenty of photo & video opportunity!

My recommendation is always to edit on a computer & not on a tablet or mobile phone. Most of them have colour changing of some sort or another taking place, so that under different light sources you are seeing consistent colours, but that then produces weird colour vision for those who have calibrated monitors, as it has been edited to look right under just a specific type of light.

Capture DNG's & edit them, there's less noise, better shadow & highlight recovery potential & much more wriggle room with colour manipulation.

Excellent points you made about editing. I spend the vast majority of my time on my iPad and, a little bit of time, on my laptop. And while I have a very capable desktop, for convenience I prefer the tablet. So I had put blinders on and was trying various editing programs via tablet apps. Even though I had been telling myself all along I need to calibrate my desktop monitor and use it instead. ? I guess I’ll go back and check these and others on my desktop and see how much of a difference I see. Thanks for the reminder!

And I have been shooting in raw but most of the pics I’ve worked on have been the jpegs anyway (I don’t always download the raw files to my iPad, where I’ve been doing most of my editing). I’ve done some on my laptop, but almost exclusively from our DSLR. Again, I should be doing it on my desktop. But I have to say they look pretty good when subsequently displayed on our Samsung TVs. Nonetheless, I need to get into the habit of doing it correctly.

Another hobby of mine is playing the ukulele (just for fun). Before I play I always tune the instrument and generally wouldn’t think of playing it without doing it. I need to set up the same standard for editing my pics. (Although I nearly always look at them on my iPad or iPhone, and thus utilizing those apps does make them look nice on those devices, lol.)

Kevin

Last edited:
Yes sometimes, however, it is my experience that Mavic Pro cannot keep its gimbal at rest if you fly more than than 2-3 m/s and there is a bit of wind. So I do not quite agree.

If you have "haze" in Amsterdam, you are probably very ill. According to Google translate, this means you have Lightheadedness in English.

Regards, Leif.
When I borrowed a Mavic Pro last October I was flying it very slowly, so never experienced the gimbal being unstable at all.

I was thinking more of the haze caused from eating those special cookies in the Amsterdam cafés! I guess that's light-headedness. :)

Excellent points you made about editing. I spend the vast majority of my time on my iPad and, a little bit of time, on my laptop. And while I have a very capable desktop, for convenience I prefer the tablet. So I had put blinders on and was trying various editing programs via tablet apps. Even though I had been telling myself all along I need to calibrate my desktop monitor and use it instead. ? I guess I’ll go back and check these and others on my desktop and see how much of a difference I see. Thanks for the reminder!

And I have been shooting in raw but most of the pics I’ve worked on have been the jpegs anyway (I don’t always download the raw files to my iPad, where I’ve been doing most of my editing). I’ve done some on my laptop, but almost exclusively from our DSLR. Again, I should be doing it on my desktop. But I have to say they look pretty good when subsequently displayed on our Samsung TVs. Nonetheless, I need to get into the habit of doing it correctly.

Another hobby of mine is playing the ukulele (just for fun). Before I play I always tune the instrument and generally wouldn’t think of playing it without doing it. I need to set up the same standard for editing my pics. (Although I nearly always look at them on my iPad or iPhone, and thus utilizing those apps does make them look nice on those devices, lol.)

Kevin
What I notice of the majority of images edited on tablets or phones is that they appear oversaturated for the most part when viewed on calibrated devices. Viewing images on a TV is very different than viewing on a calibrated monitor! They are very different beasts with very different needs to appear nicely.

Getting the DNG's off the card onto your tablet or phone is a huge slice of time if done via wifi. I understand your editing jpeg's there as they are available basically instantly.

Once you work out a streamlined import & edit process, it becomes a very quick process. I knocked out just over 210 images taken with my DSLR from a sports carnival the other week, including panorama's & that took me just a couple of hours to go through & individually balance them for colour, light & sharpness, etc... in Lightroom Classic. I started with a generic "import" profile for the camera & lens used, to get accurate colour balance for the light on the day; then applied basic contrast, saturation, vibrancy & sharpening to them all as a batch. Then I edited each of the top rated ones individually. It's actually a pretty quick process once you have done it a lot.

Last edited:
When I borrowed a Mavic Pro last October I was flying it very slowly, so never experienced the gimbal being unstable at all.

I was thinking more of the haze caused from eating those special cookies in the Amsterdam cafés! I guess that's light-headedness. :)

What I notice of the majority of images edited on tablets or phones is that they appear oversaturated for the most part when viewed on calibrated devices. Viewing images on a TV is very different than viewing on a calibrated monitor! They are very different beasts with very different needs to appear nicely.

Getting the DNG's off the card onto your tablet or phone is a huge slice of time if done via wifi. I understand your editing jpeg's there as they are available basically instantly.

Once you work out a streamlined import & edit process, it becomes a very quick process. I knocked out just over 210 images taken with my DSLR from a sports carnival the other week, including panorama's & that took me just a couple of hours to go through & individually balance them for colour, light & sharpness, etc... in Lightroom Classic. I started with a generic "import" profile for the camera & lens used, to get accurate colour balance for the light on the day; then applied basic contrast, saturation, vibrancy & sharpening to them all as a batch. Then I edited each of the top rated ones individually. It's actually a pretty quick process once you have done it a lot.

Thanks again for more tips!

I also realize that viewing them on a TV is different than on a monitor. I guess my point was I was happy with the outcome when displayed that particular way. Which is often how I view photos (from a usb drive). Nonetheless, I know I need to tweak them properly for the best result and need to get myself into the habit! ?

Thanks again for more tips!

I also realize that viewing them on a TV is different than on a monitor. I guess my point was I was happy with the outcome when displayed that particular way. Which is often how I view photos (from a usb drive). Nonetheless, I know I need to tweak them properly for the best result and need to get myself into the habit! ?
I actually have an export preset saved for viewing photo's on our TV here, as the family love to look at them that way, & another for tablets/phones.

Have I mentioned I'm a pedant? :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

I actually have an export preset saved for viewing photo's on our TV here, as the family love to look at them that way, & another for tablets/phones.

Have I mentioned I'm a pedant? :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:
Lol, nice! I would eventually like to reach that point myself! Right now I wing it too much of the time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edamame