Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Another Anafi Drops from the Sky

My ANAFI Thermal experienced a similar crash from 120 feet while on a Pix4DCapture-planned mapping mission. Half way into the mission, it just fell from the sky onto the roof of a neighbor. I just blinked and it was falling from the sky. Initially, a bird strike came to my mind but there were not birds around despite that I was flying in Africa. Power failure makes sense to me.

It did pretty good not disintegrating into million pieces from the fall. The carbon frame seem to help but I might just invest in spare parts and fiber wrapping. Should I even report to Parrot?
View attachment 3619
I have worried about birds when I lose sight of the drone. I had a hawk take great interest about two weeks ago as I was landing. I was thankful this had not happened earlier when the drone was further from safety. The one good thing about this crash is that I witnessed the whole event and therefore did not have to consider the bird factor.

Hi my friend!

I think you should report it to Parrot. The more information they have, the better.

If you don't mind, I would love to take a look at the json file of your crashed flight. Would you be able to upload it here or send it to me directly through private message?

Thanks!
How can I obtain the .json files? All I see when I connect the ANAFI to my computer is the .bin files.

Every thing is at a full stop in France , dont expect anything anytime soon , and we can forget about a fixed update ...

Hi Lemieszek, never quiet sure if my reply is going where intended. Please verify that you have received. BTW, I spoke with support about my crash. They gave me a case number and emailed a three page questionnaire. Guarded optimism. I've been down this road before only to be disappointed.

Attachments

• 0914_2020-03-15T092739-0500_2E5006_00BE.json
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
Please refer to this reply on another thread. If your Anafi is respondent I'm sure you'll be able to extract it. Cheers!
That's what I thought too. Interestingly, there is no log of the flight. My understanding is that the log file of the mission didn't get to write on the drone because the project was paused (manually) in Pix4DCapture after the crash. I contacted Parrot support over the phone and was told only Pix4D is able to retrieve logs from their apps. I will be contacted in 24-48 hours about the crash, and I'll update here if anything useful.

Hi Lemieszek, never quiet sure if my reply is going where intended. Please verify that you have received. BTW, I spoke with support about my crash. They gave me a case number and emailed a three page questionnaire. Guarded optimism. I've been down this road before only to be disappointed.

Hi SkySpy,

It worked alright. Your crash looks a lot like mine in that the log did not record anything out of the ordinary. If it had been hit by a bird, for instance, it would record quick a drop in height and possibly some errors before it stopped logging. But no, just regular flying and the beginning of the descent you mentioned, and then nothing. Nothing else out of the ordinary during the flight as far as I can see. Seems to corroborate the theory that the Anafis are presenting some sort of instantaneous electrical or logical failure and that's causing the drop.

Let's see if other people see anything else in your log.

1584393023812.png

GPS jammers in the US = legal to buy, illegal to use. So how can you stop someone from using them? They can't be stopped and yes they can crash your drone or land it a mile away form you, just by messign up the GPS frequency.

Hi SkySpy,

It worked alright. Your crash looks a lot like mine in that the log did not record anything out of the ordinary. If it had been hit by a bird, for instance, it would record quick a drop in height and possibly some errors before it stopped logging. But no, just regular flying and the beginning of the descent you mentioned, and then nothing. Nothing else out of the ordinary during the flight as far as I can see. Seems to corroborate the theory that the Anafis are presenting some sort of instantaneous electrical or logical failure and that's causing the drop.

Let's see if other people see anything else in your log.

View attachment 3623
Wow, that's amazing! Thank you for doing this!
GPS jammers in the US = legal to buy, illegal to use. So how can you stop someone from using them? They can't be stopped and yes they can crash your drone or land it a mile away form you, just by messign up the GPS frequency.
I'm sure it's just a matter of time before we see exactly what you are describing right here in this forum.

Hi my friend!

I think you should report it to Parrot. The more information they have, the better.

If you don't mind, I would love to take a look at the json file of your crashed flight. Would you be able to upload it here or send it to me directly through private message?

Thanks!

Attached please find two .json files from 8. March, the day of the crash you saw on my video. As I can not interpret from stated .json files what happened, any educated opinion would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Attachments

• 0914_2020-03-08T133243-0500_1550FD_0021.json
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • 0914_2020-03-08T135017-0500_862169_0022.json
    4.2 KB · Views: 7
Attached please find two .json files from 8. March, the day of the crash you saw on my video. As I can not interpret from stated .json files what happened, any educated opinion would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi there! One of the flights is only 3s long, so it's probably not a flight - just some time you turned it on and off, or tried to take off and couldn't. The other one is a long flight (almost 15 minutes). Is that the one that ended falling down? It ends at an altitude of 67cm above your takeoff location. But I know you mentioned you hovered for a long time after the "crash", so maybe this is the one where you hovered? In which case we don't have the crash flight in those files...

Every thing is at a full stop in France , dont expect anything anytime soon , and we can forget about a fixed update ...

To my best experience, fw Cooding is a computer job.
And therefore one of the best options, to work from a Home office! ;-)
Testing it, however, needs just ones backyard to stay in.
Just saying, eh, there are other reasons for Parrot is not responding to this issue for 2 month now!

A GPS Jammer will not chrash, nor land your bird.
As long you have remote connection, YOU can fly it back.
One more reason, to stay, at least, in Range of the remote (on missions ;-).
Or better: In VLOS
I mean, in case you expect people to wanna jam a GPS signal for a bird high up in the sky.

Which I think is not so easy, with this "easy to buy' devices.
I just don't think that they have enough power, to generate a strong signal that reaches a drone up in the air!
From AA batteries, mostly

A GPS Jammer will not chrash, nor land your bird.
As long you have remote connection, YOU can fly it back.
One more reason, to stay, at least, in Range of the remote (on missions ;-).
Or better: In VLOS
I mean, in case you expect people to wanna jam a GPS signal for a bird high up in the sky.

Which I think is not so easy, with this "easy to buy' devices.
I just don't think that they have enough power, to generate a strong signal that reaches a drone up in the air!
From AA batteries, mostly

Light GPS and wifi jammers should not be efficient farther than a few dozen meters. More powerful jammers like the one in the video are clearly stronger. A sophisticated GPS jammer could in theory easily overpower satellites signals, and indicate a false altitude ?

But airports and military jammers are another story, they have unlimited power, and they may even legally obtain wifi and secured keys from the manufacturers, and just take control of any drone entering banned flight zones. In less than a second they could try thousands of keys, then just take control, and the most efficient way to neutralize would be to stop the motors and "kill" the drone system...

Of course this does not apply to (most of) the cases mentioned here.

" A sophisticated GPS jammer could in theory easily overpower satellites signals, and indicate a false altitude ? "
No drone that I know is taking the height from the GPS signal!
Which is anyway a "fly me home, pilot" case!

Airports also don't need to shutdown motors. For them it is enough, to get it down.
And no radio, no GPS is doing that.
For them it is more important that the drone send the HP, aka location of most of the Pilots, WITH the signals.
So during the time, they jamm it down, the pilot still hopes he can get back in control, the Airport is already sending the pick up service:

unnamed.jpg

:cool:

Just a moment ago I happened on a video about Mavic Minis (excuse the swearwords ? ) dropping out of the sky! Not that I am interested in that brand, but some of the information might just be useful to us Anafi pilots.
Regards
Douglas

Well, today it happened to me. On the return leg of a long flight plan, it just disconnected and fell 25 meters into a cow pasture. Luckily I was able to track it down. The gimbal is whacked and it has a broken leg. The props are all there and the battery still shows 39%. I was able to retrieve the basic flight data. It was only 250 meters from home. The first 8 minute segment of video shows normal but the last segment of video didn't get terminated so I can't see it. I guess I'll spend the day investigating the jason file and seeing if I can repair the poor thing. Anyway, I thought 1.6.5 - 6.6.6 was good but I don't anymore.

That is really unfortunate, I altered my Google playstore review to reflect all the current reports of Anafi's falling from the sky.
Although I am yet to have the same problem I think I am now going to take the safe approach and ground my Anafi.
If this becomes a widespread problem I think Parrots lack of a quick resolution is going to affect their sales.

Reactions: Gundamx9x1
Parrot has never been very fast to react to problems but lets give them a break on this one considering what is going on in the world right now guys. Its a very tough time for many companies and its going to get worse before it gets better.

Parrot has never been very fast to react to problems but lets give them a break on this one considering what is going on in the world right now guys. Its a very tough time for many companies and its going to get worse before it gets better.

Agreed. As far as I'm concerned they're doing their job investigating what's going on and I'm far from having anything bad to say about their support so far.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clansman320