Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Another Anafi Drops from the Sky

davyg

Reaction score
Hey folks, Parrot have given me a new drone. It's on charge now. :D
I take everything bad I said back.

they did the same for me after I had installed a BETA firmware that they posted up on their website..... nowt wrong with the unit I had, just wanted some info on how to roll back the BETA firmware.. have fun.. just a shame we can't get out and fly the bloody things now....LOL

Gundamx9x1

Reaction score
Hello! I've been trying to narrow down the problems as I too have an anafi and since it was a used gift I do not have the luxury of just flying and if it crashes warranty it out so I have spent hours researching and have narrowed the problems down to 2 1 is the battery which just causes it to free fall all of a sudden with no warning but it seams that the problem many are having is software related as many report sudden loss of control response and then it either "tries to land" at almost feefell speed or it just cuts off the power to the motors but one part of the equation which I am trying to solve is that it appears most problems are occuring with pilots using Android? As I see the rating in the play store very low about a 3.7 while the iOS or apple version has a rating of 4.7! Almost perfect but if anyone can chime in that would be much appreciated as I have experienced 3 "free falls/losses of controls" since beginning to fly..I am running everything up to the latest version set to channel 165 phone in airplane mode and within visual line of sight so there is absolutely no reason for connection issues I even scan the area with a wifi analyzer to confirm no interference so it is either the software or a sensor which is failing "probably also due to software" in either case I would like to confirm this issue is more common or hopefully exclusive to Android as it would be great if the fix is to just use an iPhone

robinh

Reaction score
The recent software seems stable - it appears to have been a bad release earlier this year that was causing the problems. My guess is you have a hardware problem. Engage with Parrot support and send them the flight files.

Gundamx9x1

Reaction score
The recent software seems stable - it appears to have been a bad release earlier this year that was causing the problems. My guess is you have a hardware problem. Engage with Parrot support and send them the flight files.
I'll take your word on it, I did a hard and soft reset on the anafi and sr3 and I will test it to see if the problem persists if it does then I will definitely be calling parrot if not I will update as even if one other person is having the same problem it would be great to solve it for them.

basainey

Reaction score
Hello! I've been trying to narrow down the problems as I too have an anafi and since it was a used gift I do not have the luxury of just flying and if it crashes warranty it out so I have spent hours researching and have narrowed the problems down to 2 1 is the battery which just causes it to free fall all of a sudden with no warning but it seams that the problem many are having is software related as many report sudden loss of control response and then it either "tries to land" at almost feefell speed or it just cuts off the power to the motors but one part of the equation which I am trying to solve is that it appears most problems are occuring with pilots using Android? As I see the rating in the play store very low about a 3.7 while the iOS or apple version has a rating of 4.7! Almost perfect but if anyone can chime in that would be much appreciated as I have experienced 3 "free falls/losses of controls" since beginning to fly..I am running everything up to the latest version set to channel 165 phone in airplane mode and within visual line of sight so there is absolutely no reason for connection issues I even scan the area with a wifi analyzer to confirm no interference so it is either the software or a sensor which is failing "probably also due to software" in either case I would like to confirm this issue is more common or hopefully exclusive to Android as it would be great if the fix is to just use an iPhone
I used an iPhone when my ANAFI crashed a few times. Parrot ended up replacing the drone and I believe it was a firmware issue.

BRC

Reaction score
you may have more than one issue - I would start with troubleshooting battery
after you fully recharge it see what the percentage of charge is along with "maximum battery capacity"
both can be found once you tap the drone icon - you need to scroll on right side to see capacity
then if all looks well I would allow it to fly and hover about two feet above soft ground for full flight & monitor battery percentage
You may want to perform a screen recording while doing this
On a decent battery you should get 20 minutes flight time-
It should also provide warnings as battery runs down below 20% along with a forced auto landing at 5% -10%

For wifi issues - I would suggest turning on airplane mode, wifi and bluetooth off, stay clear of any other interference near you (cell phone, smart watch, etc)
The weakest signal is when the anafi is directly above you - also remember you need to point the controller antennae in direction of drone
Wishing you luck

Gundamx9x1

Reaction score
you may have more than one issue - I would start with troubleshooting battery
after you fully recharge it see what the percentage of charge is along with "maximum battery capacity"
both can be found once you tap the drone icon - you need to scroll on right side to see capacity
then if all looks well I would allow it to fly and hover about two feet above soft ground for full flight & monitor battery percentage
You may want to perform a screen recording while doing this
On a decent battery you should get 20 minutes flight time-
It should also provide warnings as battery runs down below 20% along with a forced auto landing at 5% -10%

For wifi issues - I would suggest turning on airplane mode, wifi and bluetooth off, stay clear of any other interference near you (cell phone, smart watch, etc)
The weakest signal is when the anafi is directly above you - also remember you need to point the controller antennae in direction of drone
Wishing you luck
Thank you so much for your help, Yes I've been narrowing down the problem and am now sure it is a problem with the Anafi and not the sc3 or phone, I have already been doing all of the recommendations you posted and even use a wifi analyzer beforehand to make sure there is no interference and today I was testing it after a complete reset of both the sc3 and anafi and I flew the first battery down to 11% "which I never go below 40% but at a low altitude it had no issues whatsoever...took out the battery popped in a fresh one btw one charges up to 92% and the newer one which I used last charges up to 99% and anyways I'll cut to the chase after about 5 minutes I wanted to get a good shot of the sunset so I rose to about 120ft and then it happened..total loss of response to controls so having been through this before I did not panic I went through the motions first I exited the program and restarted and nothing then I disconnected the remote and then reconnected it still nothing then as a last resort I closed the remote and app and restarted everything and still no controls! Anyways i recorded the whole event and the flight logs show it went way past the geo fence and then came at max speed downwards...but expecting this I was already ready to catch my baby haha anyways I'm just super happy these little things are way more durable than they look...so the problem is definitely with the Anafi but I am trying to find out if it is a combination of things I am doing because it ONLY happens when I have gone too high up which 100ft is nothing especially since a guy took one up to like 3000ft so I don't think it's gone too high and the second part of the equation is that it has only happened to me during sunset which would seem like a weird reason for a drone to malfunction but there's I believe two posts of anafis where they set them to time lapse to record the sunset and it just stops like a brick after a while

Reactions: Test2000

Gundamx9x1

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your help, Yes I've been narrowing down the problem and am now sure it is a problem with the Anafi and not the sc3 or phone, I have already been doing all of the recommendations you posted and even use a wifi analyzer beforehand to make sure there is no interference and today I was testing it after a complete reset of both the sc3 and anafi and I flew the first battery down to 11% "which I never go below 40% but at a low altitude it had no issues whatsoever...took out the battery popped in a fresh one btw one charges up to 92% and the newer one which I used last charges up to 99% and anyways I'll cut to the chase after about 5 minutes I wanted to get a good shot of the sunset so I rose to about 120ft and then it happened..total loss of response to controls so having been through this before I did not panic I went through the motions first I exited the program and restarted and nothing then I disconnected the remote and then reconnected it still nothing then as a last resort I closed the remote and app and restarted everything and still no controls! Anyways i recorded the whole event and the flight logs show it went way past the geo fence and then came at max speed downwards...but expecting this I was already ready to catch my baby haha anyways I'm just super happy these little things are way more durable than they look...so the problem is definitely with the Anafi but I am trying to find out if it is a combination of things I am doing because it ONLY happens when I have gone too high up which 100ft is nothing especially since a guy took one up to like 3000ft so I don't think it's gone too high and the second part of the equation is that it has only happened to me during sunset which would seem like a weird reason for a drone to malfunction but there's I believe two posts of anafis where they set them to time lapse to record the sunset and it just stops like a brick after a while
Because as stupid as it may sound it DOES have an optical flow sensor which it throws into the equation and theoretically if it's dark it may assume it has landed and thus cut controls and after a time motors...but it's just a hunch I will continue testing this weekend and I will keep everyone updated Thanks all!

Gundamx9x1

Reaction score
Because as stupid as it may sound it DOES have an optical flow sensor which it throws into the equation and theoretically if it's dark it may assume it has landed and thus cut controls and after a time motors...but it's just a hunch I will continue testing this weekend and I will keep everyone updated Thanks all!
I just confirmed my suspicion, today I got a message saying "too dark to stabilize drone" when I was landing in a dark spot

Clrk

Reaction score
My contribution, after 400 flights, multiple emergency landings (with 20%, 40%, even 60% battery left), and one motors shut down (200m high, 50% battery), and still a working drone (wtf?)

IMO, I have 2 damaged batteries (both discharge continuously) :
- emergency landing happened only on battery 1, which has I think damaged cells
- battery 2 has a casing issue: I can push the on / off button by pushing almost everywhere on the top of the case. After a flight, the battery is too big and I can't press the button anymore until it gets cold again.

What I see on the shut down of the motors, from the logs, is a very high peak on the battery, and the drone turning off. I wonder if the battery can push the off buttpn by itself during a flight.

Anyway, warranty has been approved for me, and I am really considering switching to Mavic Air 2, even if still photography seems not so good.
A bit tired of being worried everytime I fly....

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
g7kdq