Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Another newb query: Shutter Speed for Video?

Krusty Geeza

Reaction score
Website
alexmausolf.com
Hey folks,

Krusty again with another newbie question, if I can? :rolleyes:

I've just discovered that my glitchiness of the video I took on Saturday may possibly have something to do with my using a very fast shutter speed of about 1/1000 at ISO 100, as it was extremely bright & I didn't have my ND filters yet. Coming from a photography background & having no video knowledge, I just thought I needed to get the exposure correct! Apparently not! :oops:

Is the 180 degree rule something to abide by all the time? I'm using the Anafi's Cinema mode, which is at 24 fps, actually 23.98 fps when I look at the data for it on import. So if I understand this correctly, I should be aiming for 1/50, or as close to that as possible, using the various ND filters to achieve this shutter speed with correct exposure based on the zebra's & the histogram? :unsure:

Thanks in advance for all assistance offered.

As far as I can ascertain the 180 degree shutter rule is more guidance than a hard and fast rule. It states that the shutter speed should be 1/twice the frame rate e.g for 30fps the "ideal" shutter speed should be 1/60 second. Action scenes may need a faster shutter speed and romantic scenes may need a slower one to blur the action. I am thinking about buying some ND filters for my Anafi for my upcoming holiday in Australia where it can be very bright. However I will be taking holiday memories and not commercial movies so the extra time spent sorting out which filter to use may not be worth it. I am sure that my friends and family will not be too critical of my lack of cinematic experience. I also do not use ND filters on my Panasonic Bridge Camera, Olfi action camera or phone and those videos turn out OK in my opinion.

As far as I can ascertain the 180 degree shutter rule is more guidance than a hard and fast rule. It states that the shutter speed should be 1/twice the frame rate e.g for 30fps the "ideal" shutter speed should be 1/60 second. Action scenes may need a faster shutter speed and romantic scenes may need a slower one to blur the action. I am thinking about buying some ND filters for my Anafi for my upcoming holiday in Australia where it can be very bright. However I will be taking holiday memories and not commercial movies so the extra time spent sorting out which filter to use may not be worth it. I am sure that my friends and family will not be too critical of my lack of cinematic experience. I also do not use ND filters on my Panasonic Bridge Camera, Olfi action camera or phone and those videos turn out OK in my opinion.
Thanks for commenting @Liger 1956 , it's appreciated.

I watched a few different tutorial/instructional video's on the 180 degree shutter technique last night & it seems to just be a guideline for a particular cinematic "film" type look. I'll play with it & see what happens & whether I like that finish or not.

Reactions: Efliernz

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut