Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Any regrets after DJI leaks?

mariocuzo

Reaction score
Hi guys,
What's your opinion about the new DJI products leaks?
Has anyone regretted buying the anafi?
I'm just a bit sceptical...

Technology cannot stand still, there will always be a better next "thing" just around the corner. The secret is to enjoy the thing you have and recognise it for what it does, not what it doesn't. Many of us can not afford to buy the latest iteration each time something comes out. I have a tool that will take video of fantastic quality 200 feet in the air. It takes stills I could only dream of when I was hoisting cameras in the air from kites in the 80's. So something with more bells and whistles is coming out soon? Well I won't be spending money on a new "thing"for a few years. I simply can't afford that sort of money every few months and the differential of the results can't possibly justify the money I'd need to spend. And furthermore I'll not spend too much time reading about the latest "thing". My little lovely Waspish thing will do me fine just now. Regrets? None.

Not at all. Mavic 2 isn't in the same league, much heavier and much more expensive. Doubtful that Active track 2.0 will work as well as parrots follow me, and extremely doubtful you'll be able to fly the mavic 2 without the controller. Very happy I got the Anafi.

Technology cannot stand still, there will always be a better next "thing" just around the corner. The secret is to enjoy the thing you have and recognise it for what it does, not what it doesn't. Many of us can not afford to buy the latest iteration each time something comes out. I have a tool that will take video of fantastic quality 200 feet in the air. It takes stills I could only dream of when I was hoisting cameras in the air from kites in the 80's. So something with more bells and whistles is coming out soon? Well I won't be spending money on a new "thing"for a few years. I simply can't afford that sort of money every few months and the differential of the results can't possibly justify the money I'd need to spend. And furthermore I'll not spend too much time reading about the latest "thing". My little lovely Waspish thing will do me fine just now. Regrets? None.
Thanks for your message,
You know sometimes we need someone to say thing exactly how they are, and you've just did this.
I think it is very easy to be carried away with new innovations but as you said we need to recognise what our "little" thing can do!

Not exactly regretting.

-Anafi is low noise, all current and future DJI drones are predominately very obnoxious
-Anafi doesnt enforce NFZ crap, DJI forces you to obey chinese companys idea of NFZ unless ya hack it.
-Anafi can look 90° up, can shoot full 360 spherical panos
-Parrot respects GDPR and the Freeflight app, doesn't call home if you choose to keep it so. also doesn't require sign-in
-Anafi batteries are able to be charged with any USB, optimum with USB-C PD Standard (max 24W, i only have seen 18W)
-Anafi has better low light performance, 1 to 2 F-Stops (amazing)
-Anafi photos have more usable resolution
-Anafi video has lossless Zoom (1.4x 4k or 2.8x FHD)

Thanks to @enderffx for these points.

Not exactly regretting.

-Anafi is low noise, all current and future DJI drones are predominately very obnoxious
-Anafi doesnt enforce NFZ crap, DJI forces you to obey chinese companys idea of NFZ unless ya hack it.
-Anafi can look 90° up, can shoot full 360 spherical panos
-Parrot respects GDPR and the Freeflight app, doesn't call home if you choose to keep it so. also doesn't require sign-in
-Anafi batteries are able to be charged with any USB, optimum with USB-C PD Standard (max 24W, i only have seen 18W)
-Anafi has better low light performance, 1 to 2 F-Stops (amazing)
-Anafi photos have more usable resolution
-Anafi video has lossless Zoom (1.4x 4k or 2.8x FHD)

Thanks to @enderffx for these points.
Very good except I just saw some night photos of anafi so noisy and blurry I don't know why......

Very good except I just saw some night photos of anafi so noisy and blurry I don't know why......
I don't think the DJI's 1" sensor will make any difference on night shooting.
You need bigger sensors to shoot decent photos at night like crop or full frame.

My P4P with the 1" sensor is awesome for video/stills, but noisy as hell, can't use it around people so it is restrictive in many ways except camera quality. Just sold my Crystal Sky today after finding out my Galaxy S8+ has a brighter screen! I agree, I will not chase the MP2, Love the Anafi for what it is, a stealthy, unrestricted drone that takes quality consumer level photos & videos. I'm not a huge distance flyer so the range is more than adequate. I have the MA as well and will hang on to it ( cool quickshots, Asteroid and the like ) but the Mavic Pro is on the block over at MavicPilots, the Anafi rendered it redundant.

Well I'm waiting. I have no drone today. So I can sit back a bit and see what ships or doesn't. I'm looking for a photo platform first, video second and really the flying part is just a tool to get the camera to where I want to shoot. Maybe that'll change once I'm flying around but who knows. Portability and annoyance factor are high on my list right after camera quality. I'm not going to hike an Inspire into some remote part of the world ;)

I think that drone evolution is based on a mix of many factors, something like SmartPhone combined with Car evolution. This is because drones are high-tech devices, but the are driven (still) by humans.

So, there are two ways that advancements can be accommodated by the vast majority of drone owners, that cannot afford to acquire every single new drone, from every respected manufacturer, as time and money are not endless.

The one way is to examine the offerings on the market on decision time and invest on something that suits the whatever needs for a relatively long period of time and learn its inner habits upside down. After it has become obsolete, invest on a new one.

The other is to follow the trends on the market and follow them by "recycling" the whatever drones you acquire in far shorter time intervals and thus enjoy different models from different manufacturers.

Both approaches are equally acceptable as far as I am concerned and I support both of them.

Just my opinion
S

At the end of last year we started planning a family overseas trip for my son's birthday at end of August, I decided that for that trip I would upgrade the phantom to something more portable and budget around $1K AUS. Also for Australians traveling overseas we can buy within 60 days of leaving and claim the 10% sales tax back on departure. So for me it was always a case of buying the best drone that fell into budget, super portable and as good as camera quality I could get. During my 8 month research I switched between the Spark, Mavic Air & Autel Evo. The Evo was my front runner for most of the year but it just never seem to evuatuate with the release being a non-event, so as my 60 travel window started to close in I eventually settled on the Air, it was blowing the budget by a couple of hundred but like others have mentioned this is going to be 'the one' that will last me for many many years. Then with only 2 days to go before I get into my buy period, literally would have bought on the first day of that window, out of nowhere I discovered the Anafi, and Im blown away, everything I want in the one package, and only another week or two from release (unlike the Evo) so I decided to hold my purchase of for a few weeks (Aus release was about 3 weeks after) gives me enough time to see how the initial buyers go with it, seems that the only negative that came through the reviews was obstacle avoidance and the in app purchases. Never used obstacle avoidance anyway so dont care, and in-app purcahses are a pain, but hey still works out cheaper, and I dont even think Ill bother buying them in the first few months anyway. And to top it off nicely the price came in at 1070 so with my 10% return it will come in well under budget too. So in all honesty, the only regret I would have had is if I bought the air prior to the relaese of the Anafi. But it all comes down to timing as if I booked my holiday 2 months earlier I would have bought the Air as it would have been the best drone for my needs at that time.

As for the Mavic 2, I was hoping for it to be released or at least release of the specs so that I could have put it into consideration before I made my purchase but realistically the Mavic 2 is going to end up way over my intended budget, and with the way they are looking like releasing 2-3 different options, I probably would have only really wanted the top option anyway so I can't really see a way I would have justified spending twice as much as the Anafi. It does everything I need it to do.

Reactions: aft3rmath
When have DJI "leaks" ever been accurate? They run a pretty tight ship. Only the actual announcement will tell the truth.
This time it's real. Dji confirmed it see the verge. Basically a UK retailer printed the monthly before dji called off the event.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut