Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Anyone get any great storm videos from their Anafi? I am aiming to use it for my storm chasing.

MightyMuffins

Reaction score
Well kind of. As a Meteorologist and a degree in the field I got this Parrot to especially see if I can get some insane aerial video of incoming storms/lines here in Albany NY. Obviously have this well planned out and locations I film in and will have this in conjunction with my 2 other cameras.

Curious if anyone ever tried something like this before? OBVIOUSLY I know the wind threshold of this thing so I got my anemometer and will just fly this ahead of a approaching storm line...like a quick 100-200ft flight within my line of site. I REALLY wanna see my storm video above the tree line at my favourite locations cause while it's good where I am at..I am still limited if it is still 10-20 miles out. :)

Also yes I know storm chasers usually use racing drones/or the drone planes as they are usually more disposable and have that 60+ mph speed they can get to to really fight wind off.

As an amateur meteorologist and pilot who has been watching storm time lapse for many years, I will be very interested in what you come up with! With a max flight time of 25 minutes I think you will be doing your time lapse in post production.

With some practice I would think you could bring it back from a few hundred feet away, switch batteries and get it back into position in roughly a minute, which would only produce a small stutter in the time lapse. Or you could do a dissolve to cover it. I think the zoom will also come in very handy!

Don't let it get too wet! :oops:

As an amateur meteorologist and pilot who has been watching storm time lapse for many years, I will be very interested in what you come up with! With a max flight time of 25 minutes I think you will be doing your time lapse in post production.

With some practice I would think you could bring it back from a few hundred feet away, switch batteries and get it back into position in roughly a minute, which would only produce a small stutter in the time lapse. Or you could do a dissolve to cover it. I think the zoom will also come in very handy!

Don't let it get too wet! :oops:
Yeah i will give it a shot. I know the anafi wind threshold is right at the 30MPH so before a gust front is where i would have to be. Actually rain....i would have the drone down long before that. :)

But timelapse would be interesting too.

You have given me some great ideas for storm recording! I live in an East/West oriented valley about 3/4 mile wide and occasionally some interesting storms come up from the west in summer. I could just launch straight up and hover. It's usually fairly easy to judge the gust front since I can see trees up to a mile west of me. I think maybe the local NWS would like that! I've been a spotter for about 10 years.

You have given me some great ideas for storm recording! I live in an East/West oriented valley about 3/4 mile wide and occasionally some interesting storms come up from the west in summer. I could just launch straight up and hover. It's usually fairly easy to judge the gust front since I can see trees up to a mile west of me. I think maybe the local NWS would like that! I've been a spotter for about 10 years.
Yeah I been storm chasing for about 14 years....literally since I got my permit at 16. Meteorology is always my thing and I have my degree in it years ago so storm videoing I always wanna see if I can improve it for my youtube channel. :D

Also get an anemometer. I have one an I use it a lot more than people realize and with a drone now...this is good to see if the threshold goes above 30MPH for the parrot. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut