Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

So...Yes....the Anafi actually works storm chasing. I gave it a run tonight with a massive line of storm line out ahead of it.

MightyMuffins

Reaction score
Currently editing the 46 mins of video (11 mins simultaneous with the drone) so when it's done I will post it over in the other thread section as well as here. I actually took the Anafi as I said I would storm chasing with me in the Captial Region of Albany cause there was a MASSIVE storm line barreling in. I flew it about 60-70 ft and there was a lot of inflow heading into the storm line even 10 miles away at 20-25 MPH. Flew it about 11 mins or so and took it down when the storms were within 2 miles but holy hell this thing took some amazing footage and couple with my really nice ground camera the footage I am seeing from the anafi is EXACTLY why I bought this. To see above the tree line when the storms are far in the distance and coming. So much lightning with this.

So you can take it storm chasing if you know what you are doing and have the right equipment and weather knowledge of the conditions. Me being a meteorologist with a degree and stuff I ALWAYS have my anemometer now with me but the drone now with these situations I definitely need it cause I don't want it to get over 35mph with this. :D

Edit: Here ya go.

Last edited:
Currently editing the 46 mins of video (11 mins simultaneous with the drone) so when it's done I will post it over in the other thread section as well as here. I actually took the Anafi as I said I would storm chasing with me in the Captial Region of Albany cause there was a MASSIVE storm line barreling in. I flew it about 60-70 ft and there was a lot of inflow heading into the storm line even 10 miles away at 20-25 MPH. Flew it about 11 mins or so and took it down when the storms were within 2 miles but holy hell this thing took some amazing footage and couple with my really nice ground camera the footage I am seeing from the anafi is EXACTLY why I bought this. To see above the tree line when the storms are far in the distance and coming. So much lightning with this.

So you can take it storm chasing if you know what you are doing and have the right equipment and weather knowledge of the conditions. Me being a meteorologist with a degree and stuff I ALWAYS have my anemometer now with me but the drone now with these situations I definitely need it cause I don't want it to get over 35mph with this. :D

Edit: Here ya go.
Hello MM,

It’s great when we can include our drone hobby with other activities, work related or coupled with other hobbies in our lives. In your case, being a meteorologist I can see how the Anafi will be beneficial. Seeing above tree lines, capturing hard shots from differcult angles this just the beginning.

I use drones for research, so I can relate to you using the Anafi with your joy of being a meteorologist.

Thanks for sharing,
Paul

Hello MM,

It’s great when we can include our drone hobby with other activities, work related or coupled with other hobbies in our lives. In your case, being a meteorologist I can see how the Anafi will be beneficial. Seeing above tree lines, capturing hard shots from differcult angles this just the beginning.

I use drones for research, so I can relate to you using the Anafi with your joy of being a meteorologist.

Thanks for sharing,
Paul
Thanks. Yeah and this was at night. I really wanna see how this handles an even bigger storm line during the day. I wanted to fly it higher but the wind was really on the threshold even 55 ft up.

Well, that's what happens when you try to take video of lighting storms at midnight....unless you do 60X time lapse in Post. ;)

The image is mostly black with a few flashes of lightning. I'm puzzled. Is this the final edit?
Actually the ISO was on Auto and was my first time night flying and 2nd day owning the drone and I was waiting on a new controller so I couldn't figure how to angle it on my phone...I was nervous and monitoring 2 ground cameras.

Essentially this was good practice knowing #1 if I adjust the ISO better next storm and use the controller to point more up it will be even better.

This thing was also handling inflow winds of 20-35mph even at 50ft up....I didn't want to push it on my first storm with this. I wanted to see how it handled.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ian