Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

My Anafi fell from heaven to the sinful earth with a battery charge of 32%.

abant

Reaction score
So, nothing foreshadowed trouble. Normal flight, light coolness, windless. The drone just turned off and fell from a height of 40 meters to the arable land. There are no log files. There are bin files, but they are useless. I found the poor guy at the last coordinates. He broke his right front paw and broke the upper panel, under which the GPS module is located. The propellers were also damaged. As far as I understood, the battery failed suddenly. It was swollen and hot. At the same time, its previous flight passed without the slightest complaints with a discharge from 80% to 27%.
I would really like to exclude such suddenness from my practice, but I can imagine how you can assess the current state of the battery and how close it is to suddenly dying. Any tips?

So, nothing foreshadowed trouble. Normal flight, light coolness, windless. The drone just turned off and fell from a height of 40 meters to the arable land. There are no log files. There are bin files, but they are useless. I found the poor guy at the last coordinates. He broke his right front paw and broke the upper panel, under which the GPS module is located. The propellers were also damaged. As far as I understood, the battery failed suddenly. It was swollen and hot. At the same time, its previous flight passed without the slightest complaints with a discharge from 80% to 27%.
I would really like to exclude such suddenness from my practice, but I can imagine how you can assess the current state of the battery and how close it is to suddenly dying. Any tips?
You didn’t mention it, so I ask: What did the health percentage of the battery show? (not the charge, but the service life%)
Did you use the modified Freeflight6 and what did the battery voltage show?

You didn’t mention it, so I ask: What did the health percentage of the battery show? (not the charge, but the service life%)
Did you use the modified Freeflight6 and what did the battery voltage show?
What did the health percentage of the battery show?
I don't know, but I have completed 12 flights with this battery. It was the 13th (hmm). To be honest, I don't even remember where this information is displayed.
Did you use the modified Freeflight6
Yes. FF6_6.6.6.9.201_FCC.apk from ds2atc, FCC mode.

What did the health percentage of the battery show?
I don't know, but I have completed 12 flights with this battery. It was the 13th (hmm). To be honest, I don't even remember where this information is displayed.
Did you use the modified Freeflight6
Yes. FF6_6.6.6.9.201_FCC.apk from ds2atc, FCC mode.
As I felt, you did not do everything to prevent this from happening.
You can see the battery health status by tapping the drone symbol above in the main menu, next to the "Maximum battery capacity" sign.
And the modified app is not what you wrote. That version only allows FCC mode. In FF6, as modified by Anafipilot1, you can see the current battery voltage, which turns red when it reaches low. At that point the % reading may still show 40-50% and you'd be flying fine, but the voltage is already indicating that you need to go home because the battery life is not long enough.

Reactions: edwardfcy1970
Flying without the battery voltage is like flying blind - the battery % level is not trust worthy (only time you need to worry about battery level is when it is below 20% & 3%, otherwise ignore).

Especially with the age of the Anafi battery packs you need to monitor battery voltage while flying, as the internal resistance of the cells increase with age.

FF6 records all telemetry from the drone, you can find it here :

/ Android / data / com.parrot.freeflight6 / files / logs

They are gzip'd files, once unzipped, use something like notepad, wordpad or notepad++ to go through the file looking for battery level and battery voltage, you can then determine why critical landing was triggered. I suspect the battery voltage dipped (browned out) below 6800mV.

Reactions: edwardfcy1970
It is supposed to be an “intelligent” battery.

Is there a specific Anafi compatible charger out there that shows the true cell voltage and resistance?
I have the EV-Peak for my Parrots 1 and 2 , Yuneec.
But havent found one for my Anafi.

It is supposed to be an “intelligent” battery.

Is there a specific Anafi compatible charger out there that shows the true cell voltage and resistance?
I have the EV-Peak for my Parrots 1 and 2 , Yuneec.
But havent found one for my Anafi.

Not sure how a specific charger will help - we are talking about the battery dynamics while flying.

The batteries have a perfectly good charger built in, just plug in a USB-C / Charger and the battery will charge perfectly fine.

Mine updated to v 1.8.0. Any ideas what that has added?

My 3 battery's display 99% capacity. They seem to still be working fine after approx 2years ? I always bring the drone home at 60% and never really let the battery drop below 45-50%. Perhaps that's a bit too careful but I have been using them like that from the start.

Reactions: Deleted member 3201
They are gzip'd files, once unzipped, use something like notepad, wordpad or notepad++ to go through the file looking for battery level and battery voltage, you can then determine why critical landing was triggered. I suspect the battery voltage dipped (browned out) below 6800mV.
I know only the JSON log files and the log.bin in FDR directory. Both had not easy readable voltage value in. Question:
What files you are refering to? Or has been the JSON format expanded with later app version? Or are this completly new telemetry files types?
I ask because of ShowAnafiLog tool. It would be nice to create charts for voltage too.

br HE

I know only the JSON log files and the log.bin in FDR directory. Both had not easy readable voltage value in. Question:
What files you are refering to? Or has been the JSON format expanded with later app version? Or are this completly new telemetry files types?
I ask because of ShowAnafiLog tool. It would be nice to create charts for voltage too.

br HE

FF6 records real time telemetry from the Drone, stores it in / Android / data / com.parrot.freeflight6 / files / logs

I think we had a PM exchange about these files before?!?

I think we had a PM exchange about these files before?!?
Oh yes, you are right. Looking back, now I remember. Don't know why I did not followed up this. Maybe this time I have had a lot other things to do. Sorry, please. I still don't have an Anafi, thus it is a little bit far away for me...

I have downloaded the examples again and will have a look on it.

br HE

All examples that I got (from Android or iOS) do have only 1min data in (1Hz limited to 60 datasets, 5Hz to 300 - both spanning over one minute).
Unfortunately, his limits the capability to follow voltage over the whole flight.

Anyone knows, how to expand data recording in black box?

br HE

Battery hot and swollen is caused because either is technically failed or something wrong with props Which is cause to much power needed to fly there a log on android smartphone or tablet connect them to computer make sure file transfer open internal storage open android file look for data open look for com.parrotfreeflight6 open then files open and logs open right click view details and the log of flight is there it's in code and I am going to decode it and if I have enough time it will be within the next few weeks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edamame