Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

At a Crossroads

rsjb41

Reaction score
I bought the Anafi less than two weeks ago from Best Buy. I chose it because I loved many things about it like the size, 180 degree camera, how quiet it is and everybody and their brother has a DJI. I was able to take it on one real flight before the update hit and I've been grounded since. Black screen on my phone and tablet.

Customer service has not been helpful at all. They tell me one thing then close the case and no replies to other questions. I am very frustrated with my first drone experience and wondering if other companies are the same.

At this point I can wait it out buy a new phone or tablet and continue to use the Anafi, or I can take it back to the store and buy an Autel EVO or Mavic Pro. In a few weeks the return will not be an option. For those with experience in the drone world with Autel, DJI and Parrot, do you have any advice for me?

Thanks,
Rod

My advice - get an ipad. They're relatively cheap nowadays and the Anafi works with it.

Reactions: rsjb41
Advice is difficult.
I'll try:
1. Your phone Galaxy S5 is nearly as fast as my Galaxy Note 4. So it should work.
2. Problem with missing video feed was reported with different phones. With me, this happens seldom and also with my tablet and other phone. If it comes, then after clearing the app's cache everything is fine.
3. I don't have other obvious problems with the new update (but could not test everything in bad weather now).

Anafi is a good piece of hardware. Parrot is known to fix software problems until the drone does everything it shall do. I think they will.

tough choice. Nothing says you won't have issues with the Evo nor have issues with a new phone or tablet. I chose the Anafi over the Evo and have pondered the same question this week.

My advice is to wait, one of the members talked to Parrot on the phone and they told him they are working on a solution. Sometimes these things take some time to figure out. I guess it all comes down to how long you want to wait. If you don't want to wait buy a Apple product as they work perfectly. If you decide to go buy a DJI, Apple works better with them also.

Looks like some users have issues during the last 2 updates, I've always followed this site about updates and some possible fixes for some of the issues. Don't know if you've reset the drone after the update; or maybe it is just issues with some Android users. I have an Iphone 6 and aside from the signal interference issues (which I think is because I fly in my backyard which is literally facing some powerlines) I have no problems flying my drone (knock on wood). I did get a red drone icon after the this latest update but resolved it after resetting and re-calibrating both the drone and the controller. No drone brand is perfect - every manufacturer have issues - DJI and Autel are not bulletproof - they may have their own issues to contend with. My advice - look into their forum and see what you can find before deciding to drop the Anafi and buy a more expensive drone that may give you similar problems.

If you read the other forums you'll never buy any of these. Anafi, Autel or DJI. Forums are full of unhappy experiences. So while I feel your pain, I'm not sure you'll do better elsewhere either. The grass is always greener on the other side because there are piles of **** you can't see ;)

Thanks for all the replies! I do know that you can go to any forum and find issues with any drone. I really didn't want to jump on the DJI bandwagon because it's so important to have competition in the industry to force everyone to be better. It was one of the main reasons I was looking at Parrot or Autel. I think I'll keep the Anafi and wait for them to fix the issues.

Like I said, I really liked it the one time I took it out prior to the update. It worked great with my phone and tablet. Just frustrated and being new to the drone world wasn't sure if this was normal.

I would wait for another week or two, if you can. The Anafi has many appealing features, they just need to work better. We are in a "Growing Pain" phase. However, I understand your position with the return - you have to do that before the time limit from your store is up. My guess is Parrot is going to solve most of the problems, but probably not all. (I've owned three different Parrot products in the past, and they also had issues that were eventually worked out). Freeflight 6 and the Anafi will probably be a bit buggy for some time to come. I own both the DJI Spark and Mavic Pro - both had their problems early on, but now super reliable (at least for me). If you do return your Anafi, the Evo is certainly a good choice. Lots of nice features; great camera and I especially like the built in screen on the remote controller. I saw the Evo with 2 extra batteries and a carrying case for $999 US - tempting price if I did not already own three drones! However, you might also want to consider the DJI Mavic Pro - the bugs have been worked out and it has a lot of great features for a very good price - lot of discounting at this time. I put the low noise props on my Mavic Pro and they are great - not as quiet as the Anafi, but still very good. I am not a big fan of large companies like DJI that have a huge market share, but they do make an excellent drone. Build quality is far superior than the Anafi and their drones have proven technology that works well. But ....... I like competition in the market and even though I liked the Parrot Anafi for its unique features, a minor reason I bought it was to help increase competition in the drone industry. Bottom line, my recommendation it to give Parrot a little bit more time and see how they fix these issues.

Reactions: Maxgi and rsjb41
I would wait for another week or two, if you can. The Anafi has many appealing features, they just need to work better. We are in a "Growing Pain" phase. However, I understand your position with the return - you have to do that before the time limit from your store is up. My guess is Parrot is going to solve most of the problems, but probably not all. (I've owned three different Parrot products in the past, and they also had issues that were eventually worked out). Freeflight 6 and the Anafi will probably be a bit buggy for some time to come. I own both the DJI Spark and Mavic Pro - both had their problems early on, but now super reliable (at least for me). If you do return your Anafi, the Evo is certainly a good choice. Lots of nice features; great camera and I especially like the built in screen on the remote controller. I saw the Evo with 2 extra batteries and a carrying case for $999 US - tempting price if I did not already own three drones! However, you might also want to consider the DJI Mavic Pro - the bugs have been worked out and it has a lot of great features for a very good price - lot of discounting at this time. I put the low noise props on my Mavic Pro and they are great - not as quiet as the Anafi, but still very good. I am not a big fan of large companies like DJI that have a huge market share, but they do make an excellent drone. Build quality is far superior than the Anafi and their drones have proven technology that works well. But ....... I like competition in the market and even though I liked the Parrot Anafi for its unique features, a minor reason I bought it was to help increase competition in the drone industry. Bottom line, my recommendation it to give Parrot a little bit more time and see how they fix these issues.

Great advice! I'll give them a few more weeks to get some stuff worked out. I'm not expecting perfection but I would like to be able to fly my new toy. Yes, I love that the Evo has the built in screen and a really nice camera. I know that it is not without issues also, but I have not seen anything that has grounded it either. And I did send an email to them to ask if my phone and tablet would work and get a very quick reply from them saying they would. Mavic is appealing because of what you said, been on the market for a while, most bugs are worked out and the price drop on them.

I just don't feel I should have to buy a new phone or tablet to operate it when they both worked fine prior to the update and they will both work with the competitions offerings.

Hi all

As a former DJI customer, and from my experience, I only solved my problems (lag, poor video experience, loss of connection, loss of video, etc) when I convinced myself and bought an iPhone SE for this purpose only.
I´m not, and never was an Apple fan-boy but have to admit, the only devices that gave me a real stable experience and allowed me to grow and get confidence in flight and footage were Apple devices.
I admit my Android devices were not up to the task. Great Mobile phone, but no performance for these tasks (Huawei P8 lite).

Hope it helps.

Hi all

As a former DJI customer, and from my experience, I only solved my problems (lag, poor video experience, loss of connection, loss of video, etc) when I convinced myself and bought an iPhone SE for this purpose only.
I´m not, and never was an Apple fan-boy but have to admit, the only devices that gave me a real stable experience and allowed me to grow and get confidence in flight and footage were Apple devices.
I admit my Android devices were not up to the task. Great Mobile phone, but no performance for these tasks (Huawei P8 lite).

Hope it helps.

Oh man, don't make me have to buy a Apple product! lol

I use a Huawei MediaPad M5 tablet for my three drones - Anafi, DJI Spark and DJI Mavic Pro and it works great - no lags, very good screen and runs the DJI Go 4 app without any issues and up until the latest Freeflight 6 update, ran that app without any issue also.

Parrots Why not inform the clients what is the minimum requested CPU, RAM, op.system for this product? In another topic (compatibility lists) a member wrote ("59) that the Samsung J3 Android 8.0 is working fine now. Big differences from the Mediapad M5. J3 Quad-core 1200Mhz vs M5 Octa-core 2360Mhz. And the price tag also. Why he can use the J3? Just because the Android 8.0 on it?

Parrots Why not inform the clients what is the minimum requested CPU, RAM, op.system for this product? In another topic (compatibility lists) a member wrote ("59) that the Samsung J3 Android 8.0 is working fine now. Big differences from the Mediapad M5. J3 Quad-core 1200Mhz vs M5 Octa-core 2360Mhz. And the price tag also. Why he can use the J3? Just because the Android 8.0 on it?

Tried my wife's Galaxy S6 with it, it worked with no issues at all.

Reactions: Hawkeye Alaska
It CERTAINLY is fun to see all the issues with the last couple of anafi updates when you've seen so many people cry to the wolf about DJI's screwups and scream that they just suck and anyone could do better... guess what, somebody else becomes relevant, and they have occasional issues too!

I bought a Huawei Mate 8 2 years ago based on the Mavic remote's dimensions and never had a problem with the MP, Spark, MA, M2Z, Disco and Anafi I've been using it with.

Last edited:
I understand your frustration. I had hoped to use my Fire 10" tablet with the a Anafi but it won't run the latest release. There are some inexpensive phones which work just fine with the latest release. You will be better off if you get a phone just for flying rather than using your everyday phone. Strip out all unnecessary apps and run it in airplane mode. My $50 Huawei XT2 does great for everything except stitching the 360 panoramas. (It may not have enough memory for that.)
I have a Huawei Honor 6X and Samsung Note 5 which work great. All of these have very bright screens and can be found cheap, used or refurbished.
As far as other companies, I have had problems with Yuneec and DJI products as well. Yuneec service was great. DJI was terrible. I never fly my Mavic since I got the Anafi. I think you will love the product once you get your phone issue resolved. I would not wait on Parrot to resolve the problem. The latest features may just be too much for older devices and they may not be able to fix that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut