Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Best video settings

According to the video exif, it should be YUV, but that just turns everything purple
How did you find that info? I'm looking at one of my mp4s shot in p-log using exiftool and I can't see any reference to YUV.

r
Fair enough. But did you note the part where he talks about the difficulty of working with LOG? It’s not just in Resolve. I believe (not 100% sure) the same applies to lumetri in PP, Final Cut color wheels and curves, and pretty much everything. However you do it, life is going to be a lot easier to convert to rec 709 first. Well, you could not shoot in plog to begin with, but then you’ll lose some detail in the blacks. It depends what your doing.

It’s worth mentioning that if you do have a recent Mac, you could convert to p3 instead, which is a much much wider color gamut than rec 709, but you’ll eventually have to convert to Rec 709 anyway if you plan to post online or share with anyone other than a Mac user or a professional editor.

Very educational but way more then I would ever need. Maybe this winter when the snow is on the ground and it's 40 below I might make time to tinker with it LOL
Maybe by then they will have he Anafi camera profile also :)

Whenever I shoot on my GH5 for work, I have an Atomos inferno with a Rec 709 preview LUT that I am monitoring the camera through. Trying to shoot log without a histogram let alone scopes is almost impossible. Getting a good correction and then applying a LUT is key. The simplest way is to drop the shadows and mids and bump the highlights then bump up the overall saturation. That will get you to a place where you can then apply a LUT and tweak from there. LUTs are basically pre-packaged color grades and less is more. When LUTs are applied at 100% it reminds me of really bad HDR photography from 10-12 years ago.

The color space should stay REC 709 for input and output. Chances are you do not have an HDR monitor and 97% of the people viewing your footage online do not have one either. REC 2020 is just a wider gamut for 10-bit or 12-bit footage.

The trouble with nearly all drones is that they only use 8bit. So log formats loose so much depth that is hard to recover. Best compromise was dcinelike

r

Whenever I shoot on my GH5 for work, I have an Atomos inferno with a Rec 709 preview LUT that I am monitoring the camera through. Trying to shoot log without a histogram let alone scopes is almost impossible. Getting a good correction and then applying a LUT is key. The simplest way is to drop the shadows and mids and bump the highlights then bump up the overall saturation. That will get you to a place where you can then apply a LUT and tweak from there. LUTs are basically pre-packaged color grades and less is more. When LUTs are applied at 100% it reminds me of really bad HDR photography from 10-12 years ago.

The color space should stay REC 709 for input and output. Chances are you do not have an HDR monitor and 97% of the people viewing your footage online do not have one either. REC 2020 is just a wider gamut for 10-bit or 12-bit footage.
Actually the Anafi is 10bit. I believe the Mavic Air is as well. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I also think the GoPro Hero 4 Black was 10bit (with Protune turned on), so I assume the 5 and 6 are as well.

Not that any of that contradicts your main point. Even though the newer iMacs and MacBook Pros do have P3 displays, all of us should be sticking to rec 709. I guess the exception would be in a production environment, but why would they be filming with an Anafi?

On a related note, in my opinion, we should all be capturing in 4K, but delivering to the web in 1080p. Yeah, YouTube and vimeo do support 4K streaming, but most of these videos are gonna be watched on mobile. A nice side effect of downsampling to 1080p is that it tends to reduce noise - a “poor man’s noise reduction technique”

Normally I’d say if your delivering in 1080P, then capture in 1080P, but not with these Anafi cameras. They’re just cropping. 4K downsampled yo 1080p will be sharper, and cleaner than capturing 1080p. Plus you can re-frame if you want and not worry about too much loss in quality.

Reactions: Saijin_Naib
All the tools I have used say 8 bit depth. What tool are you using to identify 10bit?

I agree with what you say regarding 4k to 1080p but I do it so I can crop, recenter or stabilise the footage too. Much more flexible to shoot the next size up from delivery :)

All the tools I have used say 8 bit depth. What tool are you using to identify 10bit?

I agree with what you say regarding 4k to 1080p but I do it so I can crop, recenter or stabilise the footage too. Much more flexible to shoot the next size up from delivery :)
I just got the Anafi. I’m still experimenting with it and just doing quick color corrections to see what I can get out of the camera (mostly while riding in the back of a bumpy land rover in Iceland)... so I haven’t really checked. I’m gonna be pissed if it’s 8bit because they advertise 10bit.

This isn’t related to video settings, but I just have to say that the Anafi performed ridiculously well today. We were driving through the interior of Iceland and tested out its Follow Me feature. In the rain.

It easily followed us at 55 kilometer per hour, through drizzling rain. Got some awesome video. That’s about twice as fast as the Mavic Air we brought along. I know the Air has a higher stated top speed, but definitely not when following (seems to max out at around 25 kph). I’m not even sure the Air actually reaches the top speed it claims. If we have time, we’re gonna try racing them tomorrow. Both maxed out in sport mode with all the settings to “11”.

Edit:
It’s also way more convenient. I was launching it right out the window. Literally tossing it out the window. It’s just super easy to unfold and get going.

They say the best camera is the one you have with you. Well the a modified version of that for drones might go something like: the best drone is is the one that’s the least hassle to deal with.

Where did they advertise 10bit ❔

I believe when you shoot in HDR you are shooting in 10 bit. So would have to have the Anafi in HDR video mode. According to the CEA (Consumer Electronics Association), HDR10 must meet certain standards, including 4:2:0 colour sub-sampling, 10-bit bit depth and the BT.2020 colour space. It applies those specific standards to the picture displayed by the TV.

Dolby Vision is 12bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: dmbrody

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lustar