Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Best white balance setting

Eencke

Reaction score
What is the best wb setting ?
It is a pity that there is no manual setting .
I also own a mavic pro and i usually put the wb here on 5600 or 5800 on the kelvin table.

What is the closest to this: sky,green or sunny?
I find “cloudy”is a bit brownish.
What is your setting?

Reactions: dmbrody
I’ve been using sunny or cloudy. That’s it. I found your post trying to figure out what Blue sky or Green WB are.

I hope someone has some info.

I also own a mavic pro and i usually put the wb here on 5600 or 5800 on the kelvin table.

What is your setting?
So after digging around, I *think* Blue Sky is probably 8500 K or higher (EDIT: previously I put 7500 here). It should be called “Shade” and used in shady places. I’m just guessing here.

Still no idea what green is. I’m thinking it might be even higher kevin than blue sky. Maybe meant for shooting northern lights and very dark scenes. Complete speculation here.

Last edited:

What is your setting?

There is no unique WB you can put on either cloudy or sunny. I thought you should read the article in this link that explains the term pretty well: What is White Balance? (Of course, what is written here is also applies to video.)

There is no adjustment to green WB since you usually adjust the gain in the Red and Blue channel on the sensor relative to green which is fixed. The entire maneuver is about to adjust to the light color so you see a white piece of paper like a white paper without color cast. Normally, it's good if you use the camera's automatic WB settings. You can easily rearrange WB by post if needed.

Regards Leif.

Thanks all for the info,
I just have been testing the wb colours( in fairly cliudy weather), the cloudy is a little bit yellowisch/brownish , also when using sunny in cloudy weather it looks a little bit brownish and to be honest i dont like the warm temperature on my footage. I checked also green and blue sky. They seems to be more to my liking and looks more towards the 5600-5900 on kelvin table , although i more prefer blue sky, this looks a little bit more natural to me. But will keep on testing in also more sunny conditions. But so far i put it on blue sky and the ev on -3 or -7.

Thanks all for the info,
I just have been testing the wb colours( in fairly cliudy weather), the cloudy is a little bit yellowisch/brownish , also when using sunny in cloudy weather it looks a little bit brownish and to be honest i dont like the warm temperature on my footage. I checked also green and blue sky. They seems to be more to my liking and looks more towards the 5600-5900 on kelvin table , although i more prefer blue sky, this looks a little bit more natural to me. But will keep on testing in also more sunny conditions. But so far i put it on blue sky and the ev on -3 or -7.

It sounds for me you have a WB color problem with the screen you're watching your recordings on. EV settings should not affect WB provided you do not bring one or more channels in the camera to saturation.

However, the best way to check if your WB settings are correct is to take a picture of a piece of crisp white paper/cardboard on the location as the crisp white color contains equal power from all three channels (RGB) in the camera to be correct.

If you shoot in HDR, do not expect to get a natural color balance in your picture.

Regards Leif.

If the white balance presets follow the standards set by most cameras, then:

Sunny “should” be 55 or 5600 K
Cloudy “should” be 6500 to 7000

Even with the exact same WB, two different cameras will not look the same. So don’t expect the Anafi to match your DJI footage. Different cameras tend to “push” colors a little differently. For example, my Mavic Air really seems to push a lot of magenta, regardless of WB. So, even with identical WB shot at the same time, there is always a little tweaking required if you want to match footage from different cameras.

I’m guessing Blue Sky is 8-9000 K. I am not basing that on actual testing with the Anafi, I’m just guessing because I vaguely recall that setting on some different cameras a while back. Sometimes they call it shade instead. As in full daylight, but you are shooting in full shade. More info on Blue Sky and Green would be great.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edamame