Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Birds that don't like the Anafi

A lot of times I was attacked by a bunch of swallows. They were circling around anafi, some were even attempting to charge at it, but I guess were afraid to complete the manoeuver.

I think birds aren't that stupid to literally bump into the drone, but definitely create a threat. I think that they will easily destabilize anafi if crash into motors.232023212322

Reactions: Joe_Scot
A lot of times I was attacked by a bunch of swallows. They were circling around anafi, some were even attempting to charge at it, but I guess were afraid to complete the manoeuver.

I think birds aren't that stupid to literally bump into the drone, but definitely create a threat. I think that they will easily destabilize anafi if crash into motors.View attachment 2320View attachment 2321View attachment 2322

Sorry but the swallows do not attack your drone, they just fly around it in search of insects. The insects near Anafi flee and therefore there are more insects around your Anafi per m3 than would otherwise be. Birds are much "wiser" than we humans will admit, especially when it comes to food. I've never heard of a collision between a drone and a swallow!

Regards, Leif.

Reactions: Frontier
I was flying over some abandoned tower blocks a while back, out of nowhere about 6 Seagulls started flying around the drone. Got it back to where I was, the Gulls followed and proceeded to crap on the roof of my car.:(

Think this is probably the best solution to birds. :p

Last edited:
I was flying over some abandoned tower blocks a while back, out of nowhere about 6 Seagulls started flying around the drone. Got it back to where I was, the Gulls followed and proceeded to crap on the roof of my car.:(

Think this is probably the best solution to birds. :p

That was crazy footage! How in the heck? Pretty cool, or HOT, video.

We have a lot of barn swallows where I live. You don't need to be flying, just walking around the barns and wooden bridges they are a pain in the @ss .

That was crazy footage! How in the heck? Pretty cool, or HOT, video.

Something they're using in China to burn stuff off power lines apparently.

Then you have this guy who strapped one to a drone to roast a Turkey.

Had some problems with birds (and neighbours) before adding this bright skin to my Anafi.
Now the birds don't care anymore and stays away.
In regards to neighbours, I do alot of 360 panoramas around my area, and now they say the can see the Anafi and therefore knowing I'm not intruding on their privacy. Win-Win
Bought this pre-cut skin from an german site on E-bay.

Anafi_red.jpg

Reactions: zandoli
Partly for practical reasons, and partly for fun, I thought it would be interesting to compile a list of birds that clearly despise our own 'bird'. Not the ones that fly and hide, but those that seem to appear out of nowhere, call their friends for support, and seek to make us retreat. I've flown in Scotland and England so far, and my shortlist is very .... short. So, I'm sure with everyone here living around the globe, we could compile quite a varied list!

I'd also be interested to know, has anyone ever had a bird knock their drone out of the sky?

My shortlist:

1) Oystercatcher: Detests the Anafi and brings reinforcements from nowhere. Circles relentlessly, squawking continuously, and has an evil-looking red eye that tells you you just have to land ASAP.
2) Seagull: Seems to have plenty of mates, one seagull can rouse 50 colleagues in under a minute. Big, flappy and unpredictable. Best to land immediately.

Photos below from yesterday, with the picturesque Glengoyne Distillery in the background. Five oystercatchers appeared out of nowhere almost immediately after take-off. They can be quite hard to photograph normally.... unless you have an Anafi with video recording as you try to escape!

Oystercatchers.... too close for comfort:

View attachment 2046 View attachment 2047 View attachment 2048 View attachment 2049
Wow, nice captures. I get the same thing with my Anafi. It's a specific bird that I haven't identified yet. They don't get attracted by my other drones, only the Anafi. Really strange. They go absolutely nuts.

Reactions: Joe_Scot
I don't believe, that the birds didn't like the Anafi from optical point of view... Maybe only in the time, if they have youngsters.
Last time, when I was flying, a man goes beside my and we've had a small talk about drones. Both of us haven't hear the Anafi anymore. After some time a woman on a bicycle arrived and ask us, if hear also the noise, She noticed, that something is around, but didn't see anything. After we have exchanged some sentences, she told us, that she is carrying a hearing aid. This device amplified the frequency of the Anafi very strong.
My conclusion is, that als birds can hear the Anafi very well and that will be the reason, that the try (in depend of the kind from bird) to attack the Anafi (maybe also to defence the own area, maybe they are feeling attacked )

Partly for practical reasons, and partly for fun, I thought it would be interesting to compile a list of birds that clearly despise our own 'bird'. Not the ones that fly and hide, but those that seem to appear out of nowhere, call their friends for support, and seek to make us retreat. I've flown in Scotland and England so far, and my shortlist is very .... short. So, I'm sure with everyone here living around the globe, we could compile quite a varied list!

I'd also be interested to know, has anyone ever had a bird knock their drone out of the sky?

My shortlist:

1) Oystercatcher: Detests the Anafi and brings reinforcements from nowhere. Circles relentlessly, squawking continuously, and has an evil-looking red eye that tells you you just have to land ASAP.
2) Seagull: Seems to have plenty of mates, one seagull can rouse 50 colleagues in under a minute. Big, flappy and unpredictable. Best to land immediately.

Photos below from yesterday, with the picturesque Glengoyne Distillery in the background. Five oystercatchers appeared out of nowhere almost immediately after take-off. They can be quite hard to photograph normally.... unless you have an Anafi with video recording as you try to escape!

Oystercatchers.... too close for comfort:

View attachment 2046 View attachment 2047 View attachment 2048 View attachment 2049
Although I've seen video of that it hasn't happened to me, yet! And I hope it never does, because what I have to deal with is various hawks, and they are vicious if they decide to attack. I had that happen to me in a sailplane many years ago and I had to do a Split S to get away! :oops:

I'm a new Anafi owner (a month or so) and have been learning to fly it as often as possible. I have been flying it in up to 300 yards away in full view and as I live in the heart of the country, with the nearest inhabitant a good 1/2 mile away, I have little worries (or so I thought).
Yesterday, wishing to show off my new flying skills to my wife, I asked her to come out and see the Anafi in flight.
Less than 2 mins into the flight I had positioned the Anafi to take a video of some cattle in an adjacent field about 200 yards away.. I had stopped the Anafi 30 metres high.. I was watching the screen on my phone, and was zooming in on these animals when my video disappeared and when I looked up, I could see no sight of the Anafi!
All communication was lost but luckily my wife had been watching events unfold. She confirmed she saw a small bird flying near the Anafi and then saw the Anafi plummet to the ground.
She thought 1st it was me showing off a dive but quickly realised it wasn't a planned move. Luckily we located the Anafi in soft boggy ground and apart from some dirt on the propellors, it was OK. I later flew it a few times (close to home) and it appears to be working perfectly.
We don't know what bird caused the crash but I'm suspecting a sparrow hawk or crow. The video of the flight suggests the camera was targeted as the last second shows the camera looking at the propellor supporting arm.
I know I had the Anafi stable at the time, 29 metres above ground and it was an easy target.
I think I'll get the red stick on cover and hopefully prevent it happening in future.
BTW I'm in Ireland.

The minute you try to demonstrate anything to anyone, it never goes according to plan!! But luckily you had a 'spotter' with you so on this occasion at least you know what happened. Great to hear the Anafi was recoverable and not damaged.

It does sound like it was a rapid strike from something targeting the drone. In all my encounters with birds (gulls and oystercatchers mainly) they circle it making a hell of a noise so at least you get plenty of warning.

Hope you don't have another bird strike and enjoy the flying!

Reactions: Braka
No incidents with birds yet, but I had a swarm of bees rise up 75' and engage my Anafi!.

Around my house I frequently have Hummingbirds, (one or sometimes two) buzzing around the Anafi when flying. Of course there's a feeder not to far away and they seem to be just curious. I hover and sometimes they do the same.

I have a family of Red Tail Hawks they really prefer if I stay away. Here she is on nest in tree infront of my house. I was just 3 - 5 ft from her no zoom

Attachments

• h1.JPG
    h1.JPG
    557.1 KB · Views: 30
  • h2.JPG
    h2.JPG
    269.6 KB · Views: 32
Reactions: kimber45

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads