Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Birds that don't like the Anafi

I laugh and learned a lot while reading all of these messages. My brand new Anafi was attacked by insects and some pigeons started to fly around one time. Its funny that the 3 rd flight I ever had with this drone was through hundreds of seagulls and nothing happen. After reading this topic I won t attempt that one again to soon.

Oystercatcher two weeks ago, as Rob said, are cheeky indeed. Due to the birds I increased the drone performance on rising and dropping speed in the film mode. May make a difference in surviving...

I find crows the worse and most likely to actually hit your drone. They will do barrel rolls coming with in inches of the Anafi. All it takes is one wing to touch the Anafi and game over. I have plenty of seagulls just fly over top of the Anafi but they don't seem to attack like crows.

True, masters in the sky. There were only two sort of birds in the sky when it was VERY stormy - gulls and Jackdaws (family of raven). I try to avoid the jackdaws as much as possible.

On one of my flights last week I had an (white bellied sea- ?) eagle looking for my bird.
It is difficult to spot, since when they close, it is to late, but as soon they mirror the horizontal movement of my birds, from some heights above them, I switch to sport/racing and do the opposite, birds would do: I fly up and in the direction towards them. Till now, they mostly loose interest and fly away. Seems they don't like it, if a suppost prey can even get above them
Edit:
And that a "prey" can hover and fly backwards. I think, flying the drone on the spot in all 4 directions, at least for bird of preys, makes it a bit difficult for them, to decide from where to attack. Where is the tail?

Last edited:
And, I think, white "birds", and dark ones (grey/brown), are the most to get attacked.
Green and yellow seems not that common, in the sky!

Was indeed looking for yellow stripes over the battery too. I like the eyes but yellow might work as well - plus visible from all sides.... cheers mate!

Maybe the thread should now be renamed "Color patterns that keep birds away" ? Joe_Scot could decorate a battery with yellow or orange stripes, another in red, and see what these angry oystercatchers have to say about it !

Worth a try, but I'm not sure it would be efficient... Nesting birds are most likely driven by their hormones, and even smaller birds can attack real predators bigger than the Anafi, in these periods.

Reactions: Joe_Scot
I have another fellow in another forum that had a job to video a old church steeple with his Yuneec Typhoon Hex. Now this is a very big UAV compared to the Parrot Anafi. The steeple was full of nesting crows and there was no way he could get close to it. They would attack his UAV and where not afraid of it size at all. They will protect their territory no matter what. Best to avoid birds if you can. Sorry but if they want you out of their domain there is not much you can do to stop it LOL

I've ordered some yellow tape - I'll give it a try. But true, certainly nesting mid-sized birds will be a killer to any drone. Becomes common here for oystercaters to nest on flat roofs of hospitals etc. They hide with their small ones under solar panels. Until a drone comes along...

Reactions: Joe_Scot
the eyes are going to make them more aggressive.... You have to fly away breeding areas in the spring to stop it. The birds keep circling (dunno why they do it, possibly to make user on ground dizzy) but appear to stop when you pull up in altitude.

Reactions: S.C.C.
the eyes are going to make them more aggressive.... You have to fly away breeding areas in the spring to stop it. The birds keep circling (dunno why they do it, possibly to make user on ground dizzy) but appear to stop when you pull up in altitude.

Circling birds are maybe less aggressive, usually if they want to attack they just fly a bit higher, then strike from behind, they don't play games. At least with other birds, but a drone is not part of their usual world, and some birds may be circling to find where the head is, preparing to attack...

The Anafi should be able to evade almost any birds by ascending quickly. Of course at some point you need to come down, and any bird can fly down faster than 2 m/s ! Oystercatchers look much faster than the Anafi on a flat course, too ! Flying higher, then in the opposite direction of where the bird came from, and get on the ground asap, could be a way to proceed... ?

Often birds leave drones alone, when ascending straight up in the sky.
They can't do that, neither can they fly in all 4 directions.
With birds of prey it seems to give you at least time, to get away.
Before they know, if they still wanna try.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clansman320