Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Building Construction Progression Videos...

Top Drone

Reaction score
I've been doing weekly (nearly every week) orbit videos of two building sites over 3 months and have 10 to 12 videos of each one.

Tried putting the clips together to make a buttery smooth transition at a 5 second duration between each week but I was under the impression that it would match near enough but some clips the position of fixed objects (roads, lamp posts and buildings) are out by up to 10 or 15 foot??

I've attached a screenshot showing two clips and this was after moving one clip to match the other, you can see by the lamp posts and road markings the difference?

I've been using waypoints on my Anafi and they are both out quite far out on most clips. I understand wind and GPS accuracy would have been a factor but was only expecting a few feet deviation between points...

Using FCPX to edit I can move clips on the X and Y axis to match but it's still a fair bit off on some clips and will have to crop a fair bit of the finished video when done.

Has anyone got experience on getting the weekly videos to match up better or is this the way to do it? Thanks guys for any tips?

Attachments

• construct progess.png
    construct progess.png
    9 MB · Views: 49
I've been doing weekly (nearly every week) orbit videos of two building sites over 3 months and have 10 to 12 videos of each one.

Tried putting the clips together to make a buttery smooth transition at a 5 second duration between each week but I was under the impression that it would match near enough but some clips the position of fixed objects (roads, lamp posts and buildings) are out by up to 10 or 15 foot??

I've attached a screenshot showing two clips and this was after moving one clip to match the other, you can see by the lamp posts and road markings the difference?

I've been using waypoints on my Anafi and they are both out quite far out on most clips. I understand wind and GPS accuracy would have been a factor but was only expecting a few feet deviation between points...

Using FCPX to edit I can move clips on the X and Y axis to match but it's still a fair bit off on some clips and will have to crop a fair bit of the finished video when done.

Has anyone got experience on getting the weekly videos to match up better or is this the way to do it? Thanks guys for any tips?
Even though the fly is always exactly the same, it is caused by the 1/2 degree difference of the gimbal.
You can do this by placing a point on the screen with an alcoholic marker when you reach a specified location before taking a photo, marking an object.
The next time you fly, you put that thing under the mark again. And with software, you can cover it up if it's a little different.
Good job!

Reactions: Top Drone

I have the same issue, no matter if you launch from the exact same altitude, GPS position can easily vary 2-3 meters, x, y and z, and camera alignment is even worse (sometimes maybe 10°), although you can set camera position manually.

Centering the camera on the same object is relatively easy, but considering that the position of the drone is not the same, run after run, the perspective will change too, and everything except the center of the screen would not be aligned with the previous videos anyway. If you only have 2-3 static waypoints, you can manage to move the drone and camera to the exact same positions, using alignments and marks on your screen/grid, but for more complex flight paths, it won't do it.

You'd need to fine tune the drone and camera positions before launching your flight plan, which is not yet implemented...

I have the same issue, no matter if you launch from the exact same altitude, GPS position can easily vary 2-3 meters, x, y and z, and camera alignment is even worse (sometimes maybe 10°), although you can set camera position manually.

Centering the camera on the same object is relatively easy, but considering that the position of the drone is not the same, run after run, the perspective will change too, and everything except the center of the screen would not be aligned with the previous videos anyway. If you only have 2-3 static waypoints, you can manage to move the drone and camera to the exact same positions, using alignments and marks on your screen/grid, but for more complex flight paths, it won't do it.

You'd need to fine tune the drone and camera positions before launching your flight plan, which is not yet implemented...

Thanks S.C.C. yeah its annoying. If I tried to edit the clips earlier I would of noticed, I just assumed it would be a case of matching each clip at certain points and transition with little or no shifting. At least I now know I cannot do much about it which is a pity...will let you know if I find a work around?

Yeah, I think you are just going to have to live with the mismatching. Playing around with different types of transitions might make it less obvious.

Not sure if FCPX does this, but in Resolve I have used a transform effect which I key frame.

So using two transform effects on each clip, and if you adjust the length of the transform you can make it look seamless, and then adding a transition effect will complete the effect.

If you get the length of the transform effect with the transition just right, you can make it look like it is all part of the actual movement of the shot.

Not sure if FCPX does this, but in Resolve I have used a transform effect which I keyframe.

So using two transform effects on each clip, and if you adjust the length of the transform you can make it look seamless, and then adding a transition effect will complete the effect.

If you get the length of the transform effect with the transition just right, you can make it look like it is all part of the actual movement of the shot.
Can do keyframing with FCPX but not sure about transitions will have to have a look.

I have Resolve but haven't used it much so will try that if I have no luck with fcpx. Sounds like it may help me, thanks Anafipillot1, will let you know how it goes...

Can you upload to a filesharing service, say 30-40 seconds from each clip you are trying to blend, 30 seconds each side of the transition point should do?

Would like to try my hand at it.

Been honing a flightplan over a local forest for the last few weeks - going to attempt a seasonal look at the forest over 12 months, by flying the flightplan once per month.

Last edited:
Will do AnafiPilot1...I've been trying to edit but some clips like you said using keyframes but not really getting anywhere the shift is quite a bit on some clips it is doable but I wanted it to be as seamless as possible. The problem is some clips the camera angle seems to be off a bit making exact match very difficult...

I will upload Thurs eve or Friday when I have decent internet, it's really slow where I am

Heres a clip with near enough seamless transitions, what I'm trying to aim for...
Construction progression video

Good luck with your seasonal flight plan...

Last edited:
I am also working on a couple construction progress updates, although they are monthly. One thing that helps is B-roll...finding another perspective to add to the story, that allows switching between shots. I bought an Osmo Pocket and it is a great tool. Or maybe, in this case, switching from a top down slowly spinning shot to the fly-around shot. Just some ideas.

PS embedded playback seems to be disabled on your link

Great idea AnafiPilot, I was wanting to add B Roll at the end or halfway between the construction progression timelapse but just wanted to have an uninterrupted timelapse. Might have to break it up with B Roll with the clips that are far apart if that makes sense.

I couldn't get the embedded link working so changed it the link on YouTube

Great idea AnafiPilot, I was wanting to add B Roll at the end or halfway between the construction progression timelapse but just wanted to have an uninterrupted timelapse. Might have to break it up with B Roll with the clips that are far apart if that makes sense.

I couldn't get the embedded link working so changed it the link on YouTube

You know I have watched your video and to tell you the truth if you did not bring up the problem I would not have even noticed or even thought twice about it. I'm sure you would want a professional transition but as a average Joe looking at your video it looks just fine to me. ;)

Ok great look forward to the footage.

Looking at the example, it looks ok when doing quick cuts like that - but of course if you want to do very slow transitions and blending then no it will not work.

One thing I did note the footage really needs to be stabilised, there is a lot of bobbing/random yaw movements. Might be quite hard as I do not see anything which can be tracked in the frame to help the stabiliser.

Will do AnafiPilot1...I've been trying to edit but some clips like you said using keyframes but not really getting anywhere the shift is quite a bit on some clips it is doable but I wanted it to be as seamless as possible. The problem is some clips the camera angle seems to be off a bit making exact match very difficult...

I will upload Thurs eve or Friday when I have decent internet, it's really slow where I am

Heres a clip with near enough seamless transitions, what I'm trying to aim for...

I agree...the misalignment doesn't really appear until the building is up and the doors stand out. If you shortened those cross dissolves, they would barely be noticeable. I think your original idea of flying around the site and showing the progress from ground breaking to final in one circle will work, without B-roll. Plus, it's a great idea and I think clients would really go for it.

You could also use a different transition, such as "dip to color" and choose something to match what's mostly in the frame, like the gray of the building, or the brown of the dirt, and use an opacity like 30% so it doesn't go completely to the color, just hides the details a bit. Or maybe there's a transition that adds a blur...

You know I have watched your video and to tell you the truth if you did not bring up the problem I would not have even noticed or even thought twice about it. I'm sure you would want a professional transition but as a average Joe looking at your video it looks just fine to me. ;)
Sorry Augustine that wasn't my video, that's the best I have found on YouTube and I would be happy to achieve that, I don't think it is possible to get an exact overlay from one flight to another....

I agree...the misalignment doesn't really appear until the building is up and the doors stand out. If you shortened those cross dissolves, they would barely be noticeable. I think your original idea of flying around the site and showing the progress from ground breaking to final in one circle will work, without B-roll. Plus, it's a great idea and I think clients would really go for it.

You could also use a different transition, such as "dip to color" and choose something to match what's mostly in the frame, like the gray of the building, or the brown of the dirt, and use an opacity like 30% so it doesn't go completely to the color, just hides the details a bit. Or maybe there's a transition that adds a blur...
YeahI was just under the impression from Drone U YouTube videos that it would be a case of matching the clips week to week or monthly and get near on identical transitions. Thanks for your input and tips

Check out their website! Drone Service Provider, Aerial Photography & Videography Athens, GA
There the transitions are smoother. Ask the author by email how he did it ...

Being a business, you don't want a competitor ...
True, I see what you're saying but their company is based in America and I'm in Ireland, thought they may of at least replied with some tips or advice...

I've been working hard on it and quite happy with the results, still not as good as I had wanted...Its not the complete build, progress is slow, this is at the 3 month mark...

Reactions: Gipsz Jakab

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clansman320