Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Controller displays RED GPS - Is there a fix?

SkyHiBaby

Reaction score
Hello all,
Just got the Anafi about 2 weeks ago and everything was fine but now Anafi drone displays green GPS but my controller displays a red GPS. I did a search for "red GPS on controller" and got a thread about a year old. I was hoping there was some development since then that would solve this problem without having to send it back to Parrot. If it means anything, I fly it with an iPad mini 4. Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone. Grounded...

There's no GPS module in the controller. You're usually using your phone as a controller interface connected to the real controller therefore it uses the phone's GPS. Does the iPad Mini 4 has GPS? If it does is it enabled?

Hello all,
Just got the Anafi about 2 weeks ago and everything was fine but now Anafi drone displays green GPS but my controller displays a red GPS. I did a search for "red GPS on controller" and got a thread about a year old. I was hoping there was some development since then that would solve this problem without having to send it back to Parrot. If it means anything, I fly it with an iPad mini 4. Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone. Grounded...
The controller GPS that the app is referring to is your device, ie in your case the ipad mini. Do you have the WiFi only ipad mini?, as a quick Google indicates it has no GPS. Or have you turned off the GPS on your ipad?

Basically this error has nothing to do with the drone/parrot, it's far more likely to be an issue with the device you are using.

This is a real niggle for me that Apple chose not to put a GPS module in their iPads when nearly every iPhone and Android phone have these.

I would love to be able to use my iPad with the Anafi as I’m getting on in my years and my eyesight is not the greatest when objects are closer than a few feet, but doing so would mean I’d lose some of the autonomous features. I have thought about trying out a BT GPS dongle but it may cause more problems than it solves if there are RF and software compatibility issues. I have looked around for an Android tablet with GPS and while many claim GPS functionality it’s when you get to the small print it actually means with an external GPS device ?

Regards

Nidge.

This is a real niggle for me that Apple chose not to put a GPS module in their iPads when nearly every iPhone and Android phone have these.

I would love to be able to use my iPad with the Anafi as I’m getting on in my years and my eyesight is not the greatest when objects are closer than a few feet, but doing so would mean I’d lose some of the autonomous features. I have thought about trying out a BT GPS dongle but it may cause more problems than it solves if there are RF and software compatibility issues. I have looked around for an Android tablet with GPS and while many claim GPS functionality it’s when you get to the small print it actually means with an external GPS device ?

Regards

Nidge.
If you are after an android tablet I can recommend the Huawei MediaPad M5. I have one and it works fine (has inbuilt GPS).

Reactions: Nidge
Thanks everyone. Unfortunately, I don't have cellular/GPS on my iPad and my iPhone is too old. I bought this iPad just for the Anafi so I guess it's time for a new tablet. Live n' learn ($$$.....). I was looking at the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 7" 8gb, does anyone have any positive/negative experiences with this tablet? I'm also considering the Huawei MediaPad M5 Mr. Whippy recommended - and any other 7-8 inch tablets with positive comments. I like that list that Jet mentioned but I would like to hear some actual hands on comments/recommendations and not just specs. This site is great, thanks again everyone.

I haven't tried the Galaxy Tab A but I if you go that route I'd go with the 2019 edition of the Tab A (better processor and also supports Android v9). It's my understanding that you need at least Android 7.1 to run FreeFlight 6.5. So 2019 version will offer better future proofing. Also keep in mind that the 8" version of the Galaxy Tab A only supports microUSB so you'll need to purchase a microUSB cable to connect the tablet to the controller if you don't already have one. The 10" version of Tab A (2019) supports USB-C connection so you can use the cable that came along with your Anafi.

As an FYI I've used both the Galaxy Tab S3 (9.7" and the Galaxy Tabs 5SE 10.5") and both work beautifully. They both have SuperAmoled displays so the screen is quite bright. I use a 3rd Party Tablet adapter ( Amazon.com: Phone/Tablet Holder for Parrot Anafi 4k Drone - Extendable Holder for 4-12 Inches Phone Tablet, Aluminum-Alloy Foldable Bracket Holder Mount: Toys & Games ) because of the size of the tablets. It works really well. In fact it does a better job gripping tablets then the Skycontroller 3's native phone holder because the tablet holder has more rubber gripping material on it then the native phone holder.

Let us know what you end up going with and how it works for you.

Cheers

Last edited:
I'm happy with the Huawei Mediapad M5 (I have the 8" one), gets regular security updates etc (now has the current version of Android - 9.x, originally had 8.x when I bought it). It's able to do all the Freeflight processor intensive bits (generating panoramas, spheres etc) without issue. Only thing it won't be able to help with is the altitude adjustments in follow me (no barometer) - if I ever need to do that I would just use my phone instead. Handily the M5 is a USB C device, so works with the existing supplied cable.

The screen is pretty bright, but like most tablets will struggle in direct sunlight - so either avoid direct sunlight or use a shade of some sort. Also, full disclosure, I'm using one of the 3d printed tablet mounts that have been mentioned on here before (from ebay) - the tablet won't fit directly on the skycontroller without some sort of adaptor.

check out the sub-forums for other devices etc that people use, I'm sure I'm not the only one using the M5 (someone else beat me to posting that it worked fine with Freeflight!).

Reactions: Jet
Hello again everyone,
I checked out the sub-forums (Compatible Apple devices) and someone mentioned the following Garmin device:

Garmin GLO 2 Bluetooth GPS Receiver 010-02184-01 (on Amazon)

Seems like it may be the answer. I'm not really a tablet user and the only reason I got the iPad was to fly the Anafi. I don't really want another tablet if I don't have to. And I have to admit, I think this little device seems pretty cool - I'm very curious as to how well it works. Does anyone else have any experience with this device?

Hello again everyone,
I checked out the sub-forums (Compatible Apple devices) and someone mentioned the following Garmin device:

Seems like it may be the answer. I'm not really a tablet user and the only reason I got the iPad was to fly the Anafi. I don't really want another tablet if I don't have to. And I have to admit, I think this little device seems pretty cool - I'm very curious as to how well it works. Does anyone else have any experience with this device?
That's another $100 on top of the already expensive IPad.
I tried the IPad Mini4 with cellular and was not impressed. The aspect ratio did not match the 16 x 9 video format so there was a lot of wasted space on the screen. Also the IPad has wide bezels which means more wasted space for the size of the tablet. The screen was not really bright enough. My $50 phone is brighter.
I sold the IPad and bought a Samsung S5e 10.5" tablet. It is bigger, much brighter and matches the aspect ratio. The bezels are very thin and it cost less than an IPad. I am very happy with it.

Reactions: Jet
Hello again everyone,

Be aware you might experience some interference to your drone from the bluetooth signal of this device. I ALWAYS fly the Anafi in Airplane mode (i.e., no data connection or bluetooth). I've proven beyond any doubt that flying in airplane mode makes a HUGE difference in interference you will see with the Anafi. What I can't I be sure of is how much of the interference is due to data signal vs bluetooth vs wifi.
Cheers,
Jet

I think Jet is right with possible bluetooth issues so I'm gonna pass on the Garmin device. I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to this stuff. I've flown a bunch of toy grade, non-FPV drones but this is the first drone (Anafi) I've flown with FPV, so it takes a little adjusting (not to mention $600 seems like its about to fly away if I screw something up).

After coming across the following thread (wish I read earlier) from "Landbo" I think I'm gonna hang on to my iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi only for the time being:

Don't worry about your iPad not having GPS built-in for security under RTH. Anafi stores the GPS coordinates from where it takeoff and can therefore find its home again under RTH.

The missing GPS in your iPad vill only affects the Follow Me feature, which doesn't work as well as it could.

Regards, Leif.

I'm gonna test this out hope it works. If I find myself constantly moving around from the takeoff point then maybe I'll consider getting another tablet. But usually I have so much other stuff with me that it's too much work to pack up and move around. For now that's the solution.

I think Jet is right with possible bluetooth issues so I'm gonna pass on the Garmin device. I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to this stuff. I've flown a bunch of toy grade, non-FPV drones but this is the first drone (Anafi) I've flown with FPV, so it takes a little adjusting (not to mention $600 seems like its about to fly away if I screw something up).
I don't think you'd get a flyaway but you *MAY* get messages popping up warning you about interference. As I said I'm not sure if bluetooth will cause interference but it might. When I've forgotten to put the drone in airplane I've gotten interference warnings that I didn't get when in airplane mode...but as you know airplane mode turns off your device's data, wifi and bluetooth...so I can't be sure of the origin of the interference.

But with that said it seems like a $100 add on just to get a GPS signal seems like a bit much. I''d just opt for a tablet that has a GPS built in. For iOS the full size iPad has a GPS built in and I believe a barometer as well (good for follow me mode ...altitude tracking). And for Android most of the Samsung tablets (Tab A, Tab S3/4/5/6 at least have a GPS built in).

Cheers,

I use the iPad mini 4 and the Garmin GLO paired with the iPad via Bluetooth.
It is extremely precise (the Garmin GLO is attached to the top of my backpack, and I also use it for hiking with View Ranger App). The iPad mini 4 (WiFi Only) has a very precise barometer included onboard.

I also have a phone (PocoPhone F1) with an embedded GPS... but no barometer (not very usefull though, the important thing is the Anafi barometer)

The only drawback with the iPad Mini 4 is the size of the device and the screen that is difficult to read in full light. So I made a sunshade for the iPad with cardboard (see thread). Depending on my trips, I use the phone (portability) or my iPad (larger screen).

I am really interested in the latest version of FF6 to see what it gives with a 20$ light Google and the improvement they made in flying and changing the ev with only the controller... It may be a real interesting feature for photography...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viking