Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Distance reading missing on ipad mini4

Steve2

Reaction score
After updating software and firmware on all devices the distance reading is missing on my iPad mini4 (no GPS). However, the home point is correctly identified and although the drone does not know how far away it is from the home phone and it returns home with accuracy when RTH is pressed.

After updating software and firmware on all devices the distance reading is missing on my iPad mini4 (no GPS). However, the home point is correctly identified and although the drone does not know how far away it is from the home phone and it returns home with accuracy when RTH is pressed.
What means "missing"? Is there a 0 or a wrong distance?

Which model of iPad mini do you use? - iPad mini wifi only does not have a gps antenna. - Only iPad mini 3g/4g has gps circuit.

although the drone does not know how far away it is from the home phone
Of course it does know it, the app just isn't showing it to you it seems.

Parrot only recently added iPad support so maybe they forgot that in the layout...

Of course it does know it, the app just isn't showing it to you it seems.
Parrot only recently added iPad support so maybe they forgot that in the layout...

Missing means there is just a ?. II know I am flying using an iPad that does not have GPS. The point is the drone knows where it took off, it knows where it is in the sky so how come the app doesn’t show the distance? As far as I can remember it used to show the distance before the recent software updates? I also fly with an iPhone6 which works correctly. I prefer the iPad mini4 and have used it exclusively lately because of the bigger screen.

Missing means there is just a ?. II know I am flying using an iPad that does not have GPS. The point is the drone knows where it took off, it knows where it is in the sky so how come the app doesn’t show the distance? As far as I can remember it used to show the distance before the recent software updates? I also fly with an iPhone6 which works correctly. I prefer the iPad mini4 and have used it exclusively lately because of the bigger screen.

Btw, I usually fly with an iPad too. Unfortunately it is not an iPad mini, just the classic 9.7'' screen and I have to use an iPad holder which is not very easy to plug/unplug. Beacuse of the issue you mentioned I also use an external gps antenna which is connected via buetooth to the iPad. The distance reading works only with when I have the gps on.

Does the iPad mini fit in the skycontroller without any mounting gear?

I need a special holder for the iPad mini. Can I use my iPhone connected by Bluetooth to the iPad to give it GPS coordinates? If so how?

It is not known why Parrot chose not to display distance data to non gps equipped devices. They obviously could. The Disco shows distance data just fine to my ipad while the Anafi requires a gps antenna. I use a Garmin Glo.

Hello Steve,
I’ve just tested my Anafi with :
  • The latest firmwares and FF6 updates
  • The iPad4 Mini 4 (no GPS) - Blue circle in the image
  • The Bluetooth GPS Garmin GLO - Red circle
And I have the distance displayed in the iPad 4 Mini layout (as I always had from the beginning). - See Green circle in the image.
When I switch off my GPS Garmin Glow (or switch off the Bluetooth of the iPad Mini 4) the distance is displayed with a ‘?’ In the layout (like any device when you switch off its GPS).

So I can confirm it is not a bug, but just due to the fact your iPad 4 mini needs access to a GPS like any smartphone with Anafi.
I had the same behavior with my iPad 4 Mini since the very beginning one year ago, so it is not due to the firmware/software update.

The iPad Mini won’t fit in the SC3 and you need to buy a specific holder.
Bluetooth GPS (like the Garmin GLO) or a GPS dongle for the iPad Mini 4 (like the bad elf GPS dongle) will cost you around 100$. I chose a Bluetooth option because it also works with my Microsoft Surface...

Last edited:
Reactions: Vassilag
I think it would be a good suggestion for Parrot, when the device has no gps hardware present, the distance field to show the distance from the take off point, instead of "?". Of course with the appropriate mark. For example: red distance means the distance from the take off while green distance means the distance from the controller.

Best Regards
Vassilis

Reactions: Kilrah
Hi MustangPhil,
Thanks for your test and advice. Thanks to you all for your comments. I guess I just remembered incorrectly as flying with my iPhone does show the distance. I also have a DJI spark which gives one the option of returning to home either to the starting point or to the current position of the controller. This seems to be missing on the Anafi. What happens if you press return to home after having taken off on a moving boat??

Reactions: MustangPhil

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryontarded