Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

First Drone ever, did I make a mistake?

kv77

Reaction score
Hi All,
I ordered an Anafi from B&H over the weekend, should be here this week. Then, I saw this forum and I joined in. I am reading all these issues about the firmware and the Android app, and the Anafi's not working. Did I make a mistake? What would you do once you open the drone? Does it automatically upgrade the firmware? Looking on Google Play, the app is the version 6.3.0 (the one many are having an issue with). So, it's not like i can download a different version when the Anafi comes in. I could use some guidance from your experience on what to do when i open the box and am setting it up. Thanks very much for any help! - Kris

Hi,

I dont have any problem with new firmware...
Sometimes blackscreen on freeflight 6 but restart the application Always solve the issue.

Range is also good.

2.4 CE 2km
5.8 CE 1km
2.4 FCC 4 Km
5.8 FCC 3 Km

Hi,

I dont have any problem with new firmware...
Sometimes blackscreen on freeflight 6 but restart the application Always solve the issue.

Range is also good.

2.4 CE 2km
5.8 CE 1km
2.4 FCC 4 Km
5.8 FCC 3 Km

Android 9.0 Xiaomi Mi8 xiaomi.eu rom beta

It will either work...or not...sorry for your first experience with a quadcopter.They aren't all like this.If it were me I would contact B&H and return it.
I believe you will HAVE TO upgrade the firmware to proceed,as they seem to look for each other.
Our best hope is Parrot getting an updated firmware out to the masses,and for us as consumers to disable auto update of our apps,as I am beginning to see how thorough (not,)Parrot is on their software development and releases.

It will either work...or not...sorry for your first experience with a quadcopter.They aren't all like this.If it were me I would contact B&H and return it.
I believe you will HAVE TO upgrade the firmware to proceed,as they seem to look for each other.
Our best hope is Parrot getting an updated firmware out to the masses,and for us as consumers to disable auto update of our apps,as I am beginning to see how thorough (not,)Parrot is on their software development and releases.

Did it work well with all previous firmware?

The positive side, if any, is the fact that Parrot are honest enough to own up to the issues and are working on a fix. You could of gone with DJI and had just as many problems if not more, and DJI always blame the user.

You have made a good choice, the Anafi is awesome, since having the Anafi, I've never even looked at my Mavic Pro. Hold in there, wait till the update is out.

Not too sure on that one.

Gotcha. Well, I looked at the tracking and it is due to arrive on Thursday. I am going to give it a try, as it was my first choice because of the 180 degree camera gimbal. However, I think you are right. If it does have the problems, then, I am not going to keep it. I will compelled to return it immediately, and go with a Mavic Air.

The positive side, if any, is the fact that Parrot are honest enough to own up to the issues and are working on a fix. You could of gone with DJI and had just as many problems if not more, and DJI always blame the user.

You have made a good choice, the Anafi is awesome, since having the Anafi, I've never even looked at my Mavic Pro. Hold in there, wait till the update is out.

Ya, I really did some research over a couple of weeks before pulling the trigger on it. I like the innovation of the gimbal. I was, also, looking at a Mavic Air. I didn't know DJI was that bad in service, you always just see there drones everywhere. Hmmm... I would probably, then, wait until 1st week of Jan before doing a return, if the one i receive has issues. Hopefully, it would be sorted by then. This is all so confusing. I thought I had a decision made. If it doesn't work, then, I would just be too worried that, after the return period, something like that could happen again. I reckon, you're right, there are issues with all manufacturers...

With Android, there are so many versions, and the phone manufacturers can, also, alter the software to fit their needs. I am sure that contributes to the issues of making the software compatible for everyone. I wonder if IPhone users are having issues as well?

Hi, no problems on iOS, works perfect.

Ok, thank you! Then, it seems, it's isolated to the Android update. Figures. Apple has much stronger policies for application development than Google. Good to know, thanks again.

Hi All,
I ordered an Anafi from B&H over the weekend, should be here this week. Then, I saw this forum and I joined in. I am reading all these issues about the firmware and the Android app, and the Anafi's not working. Did I make a mistake? What would you do once you open the drone? Does it automatically upgrade the firmware? Looking on Google Play, the app is the version 6.3.0 (the one many are having an issue with). So, it's not like i can download a different version when the Anafi comes in. I could use some guidance from your experience on what to do when i open the box and am setting it up. Thanks very much for any help! - Kris

It really depends on what you expect from it. If you want a perfect drone from a perfect company that hasn't any issues, cancel your order and don't buy a drone from anyone. There are inherent risks with mass production of software and hardware that perform such complex feats.

Also be careful about the people in here that tell you to forget it and just buy a DJI product. There are people on every forum that expound the perfection of DJI. You have to wonder why they are here (and on Yuneec's forums) if they hate their Anafi so much. Why is it worth their time? You should have seen the forum/internet/Youtube reviews a few years ago, when Yuneec came out with their Typhoon H. It sucked so bad you would be stupid to buy it...and that was before it was even out for sale (frankly, the broken English in some of them was comical to be on English speaking forums).

Get it and try it out for yourself. Make sure you take the time to learn what it does and how to fly it before flying it. If then, it doesn't do what you need it to do, send it back...but make the decision yourself from your needs and expectations.

It really depends on what you expect from it. If you want a perfect drone from a perfect company that hasn't any issues, cancel your order and don't buy a drone from anyone. There are inherent risks with mass production of software and hardware that perform such complex feats.

Also be careful about the people in here that tell you to forget it and just buy a DJI product. There are people on every forum that expound the perfection of DJI. You have to wonder why they are here (and on Yuneec's forums) if they hate their Anafi so much. Why is it worth their time? You should have seen the forum/internet/Youtube reviews a few years ago, when Yuneec came out with their Typhoon H. It sucked so bad you would be stupid to buy it...and that was before it was even out for sale (frankly, the broken English in some of them was comical to be on English speaking forums).

Get it and try it out for yourself. Make sure you take the time to learn what it does and how to fly it before flying it. If then, it doesn't do what you need it to do, send it back...but make the decision yourself from your needs and expectations.

Well said. That's what I am going to do... just do my best to learn it. If we are a good fit, then it stays. If we are not... then it gets evicted.

Hi All,

Hang in there. As already mentioned there are issues with all drones. I raised a ticket with Parrot and they are working on the issue:

"Thank you for contacting Parrot Customer Support. My name is ***** and I will be assisting you with your case # *****.

I understand from your email that after the last Freeflight 6 update you have been facing issues with your Skycontroller 3, camera feed and photo quality.
We are aware of the issue with the last update, and we can assure you that our developers are currently working on the issue to get it resolved as soon as possible. I apologize for any frustration this is bringing you."

Reactions: rsjb41 and kv77
Hang in there. As already mentioned there are issues with all drones. I raised a ticket with Parrot and they are working on the issue:

"Thank you for contacting Parrot Customer Support. My name is ***** and I will be assisting you with your case # *****.

I understand from your email that after the last Freeflight 6 update you have been facing issues with your Skycontroller 3, camera feed and photo quality.
We are aware of the issue with the last update, and we can assure you that our developers are currently working on the issue to get it resolved as soon as possible. I apologize for any frustration this is bringing you."

Thanks Nicholas! I think, once FedEx arrives with it, I may just wait a week or so to see if they release a new firmware, before I try to fly it with the current firmware. I, certainly, don't want to wreck it in the first flight and make it impossible to return. I will just have to be patient for now. thx

Hi All,
The Anafi is a fine drone with rewarding results, especially from the video!
Don't let these firmware problems on here scare you.
I upgraded to the latest 6.3 for android and it's great.
All drones have issues on occasion, nature of the hobby I think, and I've had a half dozen or so.
Upgrading the firmware is easy, just have your phone, drone, and controller all on and the app will guide you.
There are way more good things then bad with the Anafi!

Reactions: kv77

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut