Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Follow someone without phone or controller?

Aweshark

Reaction score
I’ve heard conflicting statements about whether the anafi can follow someone purely with visual information. By “follow” I mean keep the same distance as they move, not just point at them.

Has anyone confirmed yay or nay on this? The ad for the bebop 2 seems to suggest it can do this.

In my testing Follow Me Track did this. That was performed at a walking pace though & not in a racecar or skiing perilously down the backwoods of a mountain.

I had the controller & selected a target to follow. As they turned though, the Anafi remained at the same angle, it did not turn as they turned. Meaning it did not remain at the 1 o'clock position relative to their bodies orientation, rather it remained at the one o'clock orientation relative to the place. I hope that makes sense. This was a very early on test for me, in early January & I have not tried it since the most recent Freeflight 6 software updates for iOS.

The Anafi will follow using just visual ( something/someone without the phone/controller) but there are a few concerns...

If the Anafi loses the "target" while tracking for a second it will then try to find/follow the controller/phone instead of trying to regain the visual lock

If you try to "target" something and the Anafi is too close or too far from the phone, it won't let you "choose/target" whatever you are trying to target.
For instance, if the Anafi is close but you want to target something in a completely different direction and farther range it still might think it's too close since it is using the position of the phone as a default as opposed to the intended target.

Well, the test I did with the follow-me was to target a friends dog and then the dog ran all over the place doing his usual "fetch the ball" game, and the Anafi did quite a good job following. Obvious that the dog had neither a phone or a controller....Also it was easy for the optical system because it was a tan coloured dog running on a grass field, so YMMV.

Reactions: jmbsmt63
Well, the test I did with the follow-me was to target a friends dog and then the dog ran all over the place doing his usual "fetch the ball" game, and the Anafi did quite a good job following. Obvious that the dog had neither a phone or a controller....Also it was easy for the optical system because it was a tan coloured dog running on a grass field, so YMMV.

Interesting - I had assumed this wouldn't work. It would be nice to have an option to explicitly select either GPS, camera target, or a combination to follow.

Yup, that sounds about right...As long as it keeps a lock on the subject it should be good.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gearsgood