Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

FreeFlight Pro Android Issue

DJJ

Reaction score
Recently bought a Parrot Bebop 2 drone for my son's birthday. It is a fantastic drone and my son is over the moon. The only problem is the FreeFlight Pro app only works on my iPhone, and not on my son's Android phone (version 5.2.3). Within a couple of seconds of take off the app keeps crashing. Cannot get it to work at all.

I have had lots of contact with the Parrot helpline over the past 2 months, who keep sending me nice emails, but essentially have done the square root of nothing to fix the problem.

I have read lots of posts and tried many things, including deleting and reinstalling the app, and disabling the mini map functionality, but doesn't seem to work.

It is more than just a shame as it obviously renders a very expensive piece of kit useless. Does anyone here have any ideas? I would be most grateful to hear from anyone who has encountered the same issue.

Thanks

I recently purchased one too and a heavy Samsung user. I initially loaded FFP on my S7+ and after reading the comments on Google Play many shared the same experience you had when using phone/tablet to fly. I don't believe a fix for this issue has been found so flying with phone/tablet using Android is a no go. I was scared to proceed with flying until I noticed that the problem only applies to using phone/tablet to fly and not when using the Skycontroller. The app works using the controller though. OP didn't mention if you have the controller or not but if your only using phones as a controller you'll have to stick with Apple for whoever knows how long.

Hi, i had the same problem but it only happens with Android 8 and recent android versions, the app only works if you disconnect the GPS on the phone, this unables you to use the follow me function....my solution...recovered my old P9 phone with Android 7 and i have no issues at all, i can use the app with GPS connected and it does crash....
I've also sent a review on play store and reported the problem to Parrot by email...nice responses but no solution...

I recently purchased one too and a heavy Samsung user. I initially loaded FFP on my S7+ and after reading the comments on Google Play many shared the same experience you had when using phone/tablet to fly. I don't believe a fix for this issue has been found so flying with phone/tablet using Android is a no go. I was scared to proceed with flying until I noticed that the problem only applies to using phone/tablet to fly and not when using the Skycontroller. The app works using the controller though. OP didn't mention if you have the controller or not but if your only using phones as a controller you'll have to stick with Apple for whoever knows how long.

Thank you for the reply - I didn't want to throw good money after bad and fork out more money on the Sky Controller, though this was also one of the solutions Parrot suggested.

Hi, i had the same problem but it only happens with Android 8 and recent android versions, the app only works if you disconnect the GPS on the phone, this unables you to use the follow me function....my solution...recovered my old P9 phone with Android 7 and i have no issues at all, i can use the app with GPS connected and it does crash....
I've also sent a review on play store and reported the problem to Parrot by email...nice responses but no solution...

Thank you for the reply - I will try disconnecting the GPS and see if I can find an older phone with Android 7 and report back.

I had a similar issue, I was flying about 6 to 8 min and my app crashed on my android phone, my Beebop 2 slowly descended while I frantically tried RTH and reconnecting my app until I saw it disappear into a lake. I reported this to Parrot and gave them all my information and there conclusion after many weeks and after Parrot admitting there were issues with android app crashing that they couldn't help me because my GPS was not connected. I asked Parrot would the same happen with the app crashing and they said yes. I then communicated that if I accept the premise that the GPS was not connected how was it that I was flying for 6 to 8min with no issues and it wasn't until the app crashed that the drone lost communication and descended into the water. Their response
was the GPS was not connected and no help will be provided.

I had a similar issue, I was flying about 6 to 8 min and my app crashed on my android phone, my Beebop 2 slowly descended while I frantically tried RTH and reconnecting my app until I saw it disappear into a lake. I reported this to Parrot and gave them all my information and there conclusion after many weeks and after Parrot admitting there were issues with android app crashing that they couldn't help me because my GPS was not connected. I asked Parrot would the same happen with the app crashing and they said yes. I then communicated that if I accept the premise that the GPS was not connected how was it that I was flying for 6 to 8min with no issues and it wasn't until the app crashed that the drone lost communication and descended into the water. Their response
was the GPS was not connected and no help will be provided.
What's your android version?

ok....i was starting to wonder if my "workaround" didnt work :p
This weekend i'm going on a SUP ride and i'm taking the drone with a Android 7 phone to control it.....will report back to let you guys know if the android 7 is issue free

Just an FYI if you consider to disconnect the GPS and something happens to the drone, whether related to the GPS or not Parrot uses that as a loop hole to not honor any warranties or help because they say that should be part of your pre-flight that the GPS to be connected, thats why they did not honor mine...

Recently bought a Parrot Bebop 2 drone for my son's birthday. It is a fantastic drone and my son is over the moon. The only problem is the FreeFlight Pro app only works on my iPhone, and not on my son's Android phone (version 5.2.3). Within a couple of seconds of take off the app keeps crashing. Cannot get it to work at all.

I have had lots of contact with the Parrot helpline over the past 2 months, who keep sending me nice emails, but essentially have done the square root of nothing to fix the problem.

I have read lots of posts and tried many things, including deleting and reinstalling the app, and disabling the mini map functionality, but doesn't seem to work.

It is more than just a shame as it obviously renders a very expensive piece of kit useless. Does anyone here have any ideas? I would be most grateful to hear from anyone who has encountered the same issue.

Thanks
Hi,
Having the same issue with Samsung J5. As soon as you push the take off button the app crashes. Still a great Drone. Works fine with J3 and the S7.

You need to check the list of compatible devices on the Parrot Site....it just doesn't work on everything...works on my S6, not on my S7, not on my Galaxy Tab 4..with different OS...

As far as I understand some devices with Android 8.0, and using FFP 5.2.3 (FreeFlightPro latest version), have a problem with GPS switched on. I've had this problem with my Huawei P10 Android 8.0 the app crashes as soon as the Bebop takes off. Trying to restart the app won't work until GPS on my phone is turned off. My solution has been to downgrade FFP to version 5.2.1 which works fine with my Android 8 phone. Might be worth trying

Turn off all un-needed notifications on your viewing device phone or tablet. If you can afford a dedicated viewing device do it. I used to have a lot of random app shut downs with FFP and FP once I started dedicating a device to drone problems gone. Someone should code a app to set ALL NOTIFICATION OFF EXCEPT and let you set a template.

As far as I understand some devices with Android 8.0, and using FFP 5.2.3 (FreeFlightPro latest version), have a problem with GPS switched on. I've had this problem with my Huawei P10 Android 8.0 the app crashes as soon as the Bebop takes off. Trying to restart the app won't work until GPS on my phone is turned off. My solution has been to downgrade FFP to version 5.2.1 which works fine with my Android 8 phone. Might be worth trying

Ok, i'll give it a try....thanks

Thanks
Have you tried putting the S7 in flight mode? If you don't you will get a disconnection whenever someone phones or text's you! I have two S7's that work with one of my BEBOP 2'S Yet the other BEBOP2 won't connect with either? I also have two TAB 2's that do exactely the same?

Reactions: IronSky1
You do not have to use a FPV device to fly just the controller and the drone are needed. If you use a FPV device (phone or tablet TURN OFF ALL UNNECESSARY notifications) best yet get a dedicated device like a small android tablet or used phone. There are plenty used older samsung phones on Ebay . I use a used samsung Note 5 with no sim card in WiFi only or a samsung Tab S2. One issue I have found is if you have multiple Parrot apps on your device make sure you do not set default. I have FFP6 for Anafi FFP 5 for Disco and FFP Thermal for BB2 Thermal. I choose app on startup each time and do not set defaults. I also turn all notifications off.

Last edited:
You do not have to use a FPV device to fly just the controller and the drone are needed. If you use a FPV device (phone or tablet TURN OFF ALL UNNECESSARY notifications) best yet get a dedicated device like a small android tablet or used phone. There are plenty used older samsung phones on Ebay . I use a used samsung Note 5 with no sim card in WiFi only or a samsung Tab S2. One issue I have found is if you have multiple Parrot apps on your device make sure you do not set default. I have FFP6 for Anafi FFP 5 for Disco and FFP Thermal for BB2 Thermal. I choose app on startup each time and do not set defaults. I also turn all notifications off.
Hi Ironsky1! I wonder if you can advise please? I have two BEBOP2's! One will connect to both of my Samsung S7's without a problem but the other one won't! It used to but for some reason it now won't!! I have seen no mention of uploading new firmware nor a newer version of the app?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut