Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Gimbal L-bracket trouble

Vesa_A

Reaction score
Hello!

New Anafi pilot from Finland checking if there's anyone familiar with this problem. Had and accident to my first anafi when i bumped it to door while carrying it. The L-bracket between gimbal motors got a small crack and bend into sharper angle than 90degrees which blocks the gimbal for doing check on startup. Tried to fix it, but L-bracket had very strong tension that kept the angle greater than 90deg. It was impossible to keep it straight.

However, got a new one from retailer while parrot checks this up and had a small aerial crash. No visual damage, flies just fine. But the L-bracket bended again into angle which blocks the gimbal moving the camera.

Anyone familiar with this? Wondering if this is a wider issue? Or anyone figured out how to fix this?

Below an image where the angle of camera and the drone itself can be seen.

DSC_0300.JPGDSC_0300.JPG

I can't see enough detail in the photo of the gimbal arm to see if it is bent due to deforming/stretching or if there is an actual fracture. However, I should think that if you have the skills and are comfortable trying it, you could affect a satisfactory and durable repair fairly easily.

I assume that at this point any warranty recourse has been exhausted, as I must presume that repairing the Anafi yourself will certainly void any warranty on it.

You most probably will need to disassemble the machine, as there is insufficient clearance to work on it in the assembled state. There are a couple of videos on YT and Parrot actually has a PDF disassembly manual online.

Use a razor saw or thin Dremel blade and cut a thin, vertically oriented, relief slot just into the outside of the gimbal angle arm. This should relieve the tension and allow the arm to be realigned. Temporily place shims between back of the camera housing and the axial pivot to hold the arm in alignment, and using a quality cyanoacrylate glue carefully and sparingly fill any remaining gap in the relief cut slot. I have achieved outstanding, almost invisible, repairs on Anafi motor arms using cyanoacrylate. It makes a very durable joint in the Anafi material.

Good luck and post your results!

Just wondering if one of the very small rubber dampeners has come out of it spot causing the camera to be off center?

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Thanks for replies. Will do the repair as Naviator explained after getting Parrots opinion of the first one. Four rubber dampeners between gimbal and drone frame are fine. I'll attach a pic from downside so the gimbal arm can be seen better. If someone can compare and confirm the bend? Disassembled the gimbal from frame and found no cracks or other damage. If i bend the arm for few minutes gimbal check succeeds but only for short period of time and the camera still has that angle. Weird though it is second anafi for me with the same tension in gimbal arm.DSC_0301.JPGDSC_0301.JPG

This guy here is selling his booster mod in the video but he show a pretty good detail on whats involved to take the Anafi apart.

Reactions: Vesa_A
In comparing my Anafi to the photo you just posted, it certainly appears that your gimbal arm has assumed an acute angle. I suspect that it has undergone "plastic deformation" (Google it!), and since that type of distortion is essentially permanent, the only solution other than replacement is a repair using a procedure similar to the one I discussed earlier...

Here is the link to the Anafi repair manual that was discovered by one of our other forum members:
https://parrotpilots.com/attachments/how_to_repair_anafi-pdf.398/

Also a link to a another disassembly video:

Best of luck!

Just out
Hello!

New Anafi pilot from Finland checking if there's anyone familiar with this problem. Had and accident to my first anafi when i bumped it to door while carrying it. The L-bracket between gimbal motors got a small crack and bend into sharper angle than 90degrees which blocks the gimbal for doing check on startup. Tried to fix it, but L-bracket had very strong tension that kept the angle greater than 90deg. It was impossible to keep it straight.

However, got a new one from retailer while parrot checks this up and had a small aerial crash. No visual damage, flies just fine. But the L-bracket bended again into angle which blocks the gimbal moving the camera.

Anyone familiar with this? Wondering if this is a wider issue? Or anyone figured out how to fix this?

Below an image where the angle of camera and the drone itself can be seen.

View attachment 530View attachment 530
Where were you able to find a new l bracket i have looked everywhere and cant find one?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut