Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Hard Landings

SkySpy

Reaction score
Greetings fellow pilots! I may have posted a thread about this issue before. I searched the topic however and did not find one. I have never crashed this drone, but I have experienced several hard landings. it seems as though this drone does not detect it's altitude very dependably as my DJI drones always do. In the beginning i was landing with the left stick. After talking with support i started use the land/launch button on the control. This did not help. I contacted support again and they have not supplied any helpful advice. I suspect that the downward facing sensor does not see an obvious surface, therefore I have spent much time and money trying to create one. I purchased a 2ft square plywood board and painter it bright yellow with contrasting dark green lines in a crossed pattern (Non-Gloss). Although I think this helped I still get hard landings. Support has ignored my latest request for help so I think there is really no fix for this. It is a weakness in the hardware that they rather not discuss. Have any of you experienced this same problem? I think this problem is causing other issues and will eventually kill the drone.

Posting in the General section and not naming which UAV will make answering your question kind of hard for members to respond with a accurate answer. ;)

My guess is, you mean the Anafi.
Yes, it is a "hard" lander.
I do hand landing the Anafi. Like I mostly do hand launch also.

And I do agree with Augustine: This topic would get you better reactions in the Forum for your drone

Posting in the General section and not naming which UAV will make answering your question kind of hard for members to respond with a accurate answer. ;)
Okay, I was thinking this was an Anafi general discussion. Thank you!

.... Although I think this helped I still get hard landings. Support has ignored my latest request for help so I think there is really no fix for this. It is a weakness in the hardware that they rather not discuss. Have any of you experienced this same problem? ...
Yes, I have had a few hard landings. The Anafi just continued descending into the ground at the same speed as the rest of the descent. This happened a few times over a lawn. I usually use a landing pad, and since the drone is never precisely over the pad I take over at about 6 feet, then bring the Anafi down to 2-3 feet and hit Land. This has always worked. I have a suspicion that the sensor doesn't see grass or some other surfaces as solid. Since I'm not willing to let the drone autoland on a hard surface anymore, I prepare to take over at about 6 feet and hover to above the pad at 2 feet.

Reactions: SkySpy
Yes, I have had a few hard landings. The Anafi just continued descending into the ground at the same speed as the rest of the descent. This happened a few times over a lawn. I usually use a landing pad, and since the drone is never precisely over the pad I take over at about 6 feet, then bring the Anafi down to 2-3 feet and hit Land. This has always worked. I have a suspicion that the sensor doesn't see grass or some other surfaces as solid. Since I'm not willing to let the drone autoland on a hard surface anymore, I prepare to take over at about 6 feet and hover to above the pad at 2 feet.
Thank you for the reply! I have tried different landing pads that should be more visible to the sensor, but even these have failed at times. One thing I watch for is for the drone to stop it's decent at about 2 feet above the pad. That tells me the drone sees the pad. If it fails to hesitate at two feet I abort the landing and do another approach. However, even when it hesitates at two feet there have been times it has dropped to the surface.

I'm not fast enough to take over at 2 feet! When I use RTH, the drone is supposed to go into a hover at about 5-6 feet. That is different from using the Land button. I won't use that button unless the drone is at 2 feet above a pad or other suitable surface. I have had the Anafi bounce on landing on the pad and not stop the props several times, ending up off the pad and hitting whatever. Same thing sometimes when landing on my hand. If it misbehaves in that circumstance I just grab it and turn it 90 degrees. If it misbehaves when landing on the pad i hold the left stick fully down until it stops if it hasn't already hit something. Lots of people have reported problems of this sort, which is why I never hit the Land button above two feet.

And is most likely seen as a chrash, in the history of the bird.
I started to trust the hand landing more.
The bird needs "just" to see the flat hand UNDER the nose of the bird.
In the beginning it was awkward, but got better over time.
the other way is also: fly it down to 30-50cm and : land

I really don't care if it says crash. My warranty has been over for over a year. What I do with the Anafi is my problem not Parrots anymore.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Bad habit.....someday you will be wearing sandals. ?

I actually had to step on my first Anafi to get it to land. I tried landing on sun deck table top. Not thinking that the top was made from glass the Anafi started jumping around from the reflection of the glass top. Got it to the wood surface of the deck but it was still jumping up and down. Decided to put the bottom of my running shoe on top of it lightly. It stopped pretty fast and it now knows who is the boss LOL

I'm not fast enough to take over at 2 feet! When I use RTH, the drone is supposed to go into a hover at about 5-6 feet. That is different from using the Land button. I won't use that button unless the drone is at 2 feet above a pad or other suitable surface. I have had the Anafi bounce on landing on the pad and not stop the props several times, ending up off the pad and hitting whatever. Same thing sometimes when landing on my hand. If it misbehaves in that circumstance I just grab it and turn it 90 degrees. If it misbehaves when landing on the pad i hold the left stick fully down until it stops if it hasn't already hit something. Lots of people have reported problems of this sort, which is why I never hit the Land button above two feet.
Yes, I've had mine refuse to shut off as well. Like you, I never use the land button above two feet. I haven't done a hand landing. Seems like i remember reading about someone crashing their drone trying to do the hand landing soon after I purchased mine so I have not tried it.

I've had my fingers nipped a couple times while hand landing so I don't use it anymore. Hand launch is OK. If I don't have the pad or a suitable landing surface (rare) I grab it out of the hover and tolerate the consequent crash event in the log.

Reactions: SkySpy
I've had my fingers nipped a couple times while hand landing so I don't use it anymore. Hand launch is OK. If I don't have the pad or a suitable landing surface (rare) I grab it out of the hover and tolerate the consequent crash event in the log.
I have used that grab technique. Of course that accelerates the motors to full power. My concern is that it could lead to motor or prop failure over time, therefore I only use it in an emergency.

Lots of people have been doing this for many months and no-one has indicated a problem. The trick is to turn it 90 degrees on its side ASAP. It's no different from hitting full left up stick as far as the motors are concerned.

Lots of people have been doing this for many months and no-one has indicated a problem. The trick is to turn it 90 degrees on its side ASAP. It's no different from hitting full left up stick as far as the motors are concerned.
While this may be true, I'm still not comfortable stressing the drone unnecessarily. I fly my drones much like I drive my old GMC truck, slow and easy. It's a V6 stick and I always walk it up to speed, I never push it. (so don't get behind me, lol) I have over 230,000 miles on my truck and I fully expect to see more than 300K before I expect to make any major repairs. Likewise I never hit full left or up.....I just don't fly that way. I never plan too unless it is to avoid a bird or some threat to the drone. I will use this technique if conditions require it, but only then. As always, thanks for your advise!

Greetings fellow pilots! I may have posted a thread about this issue before. I searched the topic however and did not find one. I have never crashed this drone, but I have experienced several hard landings. it seems as though this drone does not detect it's altitude very dependably as my DJI drones always do. In the beginning i was landing with the left stick. After talking with support i started use the land/launch button on the control. This did not help. I contacted support again and they have not supplied any helpful advice. I suspect that the downward facing sensor does not see an obvious surface, therefore I have spent much time and money trying to create one. I purchased a 2ft square plywood board and painter it bright yellow with contrasting dark green lines in a crossed pattern (Non-Gloss). Although I think this helped I still get hard landings. Support has ignored my latest request for help so I think there is really no fix for this. It is a weakness in the hardware that they rather not discuss. Have any of you experienced this same problem? I think this problem is causing other issues and will eventually kill the drone.
He made the special landing site superfluous, because it is not the visual camera that does this, but the ultrasonic sensor next to it. The camera's job is to maintain, monitor, and locate the horizontal position of the drone. The purpose of the ultrasonic sensor is to sense the altitude.
You mentioned that the DJI machines are coming off nicely. Yes, they have 2 ultrasound sensors on each machine and more recently 2 infrared sensors.
104234soiwsmz1jqjb8gge.jpg
3-1024x593.jpg
dji-spark-vision-sensors.jpg
One is the transmitter and the other is the buyer. Do not understand how to get the bottom of Anafi only 1pc? Even the cheap Arduino ultrasonic sensor is double.
HC_SR04_HC-SR04_Ultrasonic_Sensor_In_Pakistan.jpg

I would think that Parrot use an ultrasonic sensor design similar to that found in car reversing sensors where one sensor does both transmitting and receiving.

I would think that Parrot use an ultrasonic sensor design similar to that found in car reversing sensors where one sensor does both transmitting and receiving.
Probably yes and that's why it's inaccurate.
The firmware may lack the program to increase the RPM and lower the altitude when a certain altitude is reached.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut