Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Hello from suburbs of Atlanta, GA here in the USA

Kevredhead

Reaction score
Just getting into this. We bought my wife’s 93 year-old uncle (now 97) a $65 Syma X5C drone about 4 years ago at Christmas. I liked playing with it so much I bought one for myself a week later! ? Used it off and on for a little while (never very serious); then let it set, pulling it out once every blue moon.
My wife and I retired about a year and 8 months ago (at age 58; now 60). Came to my attention within the last year or so that drones have advanced quite a bit, with many if not most now having functions like headless mode, first person view while flying, return to home button, etc. Sounded like they may be a lot more fun to fly, and a lot harder to lose, than before. So my wife “bought” me one for Christmas. (She gave me an envelope that said I could pick one out for myself.)
After much online and YouTube researching, decided to get the Parrot Anafi Extended kit. I’m also interested in getting more serious about photography and video so the Anafi appeared to be a good trade off of price vs. quality, while meeting my desired specs (for example, wanted a decent 4K camera, etc.). Received the package yesterday afternoon, and all I can say is WOW! ?? Absolutely love it so far! (Okay, admittedly just one day into this, but it’s so different than my other drone! Already had to recharge the 3 batteries flying today, and one flying briefly late last night.)
So while not a noobie, I’m pretty close to a noobie, lol. This is gonna be fun!

Kevin

Welcome from Manchester, UK. I hope that you have a lot of fun with the Anafi, I really like mine although I have not flown it a lot recently as the weather here has not been good. Hope to see you about the forum.

Welcome from Manchester, UK. I hope that you have a lot of fun with the Anafi, I really like mine although I have not flown it a lot recently as the weather here has not been good. Hope to see you about the forum.
Thanks Liger.
Never been to Manchester, nor the UK for that matter. But can imagine the weather being difficult at times. Is it similar to Ireland’s weather, but with more sun and fewer “soft days” as they say? ?

Welcome from Ontario Canada
Thanks!
Never been to Canada either, but close (Port Angelos, Washington). We’re hoping to visit Vancouver possibly later this year. Although I know Canada’s a big place, and Ontario is likely much different than Vancouver, lol.

Thanks!
Have been to Texas many times over the last couple of years. Our daughter and her family moved there so visit them several times a year.
Also have deep roots from there, going back into the early-mid 1800s on one part of the family. (Genealogy is another hobby, lol.) My mother was actually born in Texas.

Cool Kev! I think you will find most of us here are friendly and just like to talk about our hobby. There will be a couple of DJI drone fanboys that like to bash Parrot but most of us are big fans of the parrot drones.

ps. Georgia is a beautiful state. Love all the trees and historic stuff there. Should be some great places to use your Anafi. You should see if they allow drones around stone mountain. That would make for some awesome drone footage.

Thanks Liger.
Never been to Manchester, nor the UK for that matter. But can imagine the weather being difficult at times. Is it similar to Ireland’s weather, but with more sun and fewer “soft days” as they say? ?
The West side of the UK is wetter than the East, where I originally come from however it is not as wet as Ireland which is first in line for bad weather coming across the Atlantic. We have not had any snow this year just rain, wind and general dreariness. Roll on summer.

I was looking at the extended kit as well. How do you like the extended shoulder bag?

So far it’s fine. Very compact, but everything fits. I used it for the first time today across my shoulder. Very lightweight. Didn’t even notice it was there. Holds the drone, the two spare batteries, small box of spare props, and the cables. Has a small zipper pouch as well in which you can put the sd-card holder.
I do wish the kit had come with a bigger storage sd-card. Same 16 Gb card. So I bought a 128 GB ScanDisk Ultra microSDXC card from Amazon for around $22. Stuck it in the Anafi and formatted with no problems. No problem reading/copying from it on my Windows-based laptop either. Now I can film for three full batteries worth of flying without having to transfer film clips or images between flights.

Reactions: Kdavis2269
Cool Kev! I think you will find most of us here are friendly and just like to talk about our hobby. There will be a couple of DJI drone fanboys that like to bash Parrot but most of us are big fans of the parrot drones.

ps. Georgia is a beautiful state. Love all the trees and historic stuff there. Should be some great places to use your Anafi. You should see if they allow drones around stone mountain. That would make for some awesome drone footage.
Before we moved here over 20 years ago, I didn’t realize how much of the northern part of the state has mountains with a lot of greenery and scenery (waterfalls, etc., as well).
Filming around Stone Mountain is a great idea too.

We’ve really enjoyed our visits to Texas as well. Very different from Georgia. Another kind of beauty. And a great mix of friendly people! Very self-reliant. Seem to have a can-do spirit to them.

Reactions: ufosaboveus
The West side of the UK is wetter than the East, where I originally come from however it is not as wet as Ireland which is first in line for bad weather coming across the Atlantic. We have not had any snow this year just rain, wind and general dreariness. Roll on summer.
I imagine it makes it kind of difficult to fly? How are the summers?

I imagine it makes it kind of difficult to fly? How are the summers?
Summers can be very good or very bad. We do not get the extremes of temperatures that other parts of the world suffer from. We also do not have wild animals, insects, reptiles or snakes that try to kill us (Adder bites are rare and seldom fatal). We are a relatively small island with varied scenery from flat land in Norfolk to the rugged Scottish Mountains so there is lots of different scenery to see and photograph.

I figured i would just piggy back on this post as I too am from the suburbs of Atlanta. Just wanted to say hi to everyone. I have been wanting a drone ever since my dad got a Phantom 4 a few years ago. He had so many problems with it (and still does), that it left a bad taste in my mouth for DJI. Then I found Parrot and was really impressed with what I saw. Picked one up used today and really like it so far.

Summers can be very good or very bad. We do not get the extremes of temperatures that other parts of the world suffer from. We also do not have wild animals, insects, reptiles or snakes that try to kill us (Adder bites are rare and seldom fatal). We are a relatively small island with varied scenery from flat land in Norfolk to the rugged Scottish Mountains so there is lots of different scenery to see and photograph.
Sounds nice.

I figured i would just piggy back on this post as I too am from the suburbs of Atlanta. Just wanted to say hi to everyone. I have been wanting a drone ever since my dad got a Phantom 4 a few years ago. He had so many problems with it (and still does), that it left a bad taste in my mouth for DJI. Then I found Parrot and was really impressed with what I saw. Picked one up used today and really like it so far.
Welcome from a newbie myself! Only had one a few days and so far am loving it!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edamame