Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Hey there and help please

edd

Reaction score
Im a new guy to any of this and am getting a lil frustrated, my day to day smartphone is not a usb-c device so I picked one up used that is but it has no service or carrier therefor it does not have wifi out in the big world. I have yet to get my anafi to fly or even spin its props I feel kinda dumb about this please give me a nudge out of the nest,(I believe I can fly...)

Welcome edd ?

Your phone Wifi connects to your home wifi - it doesn’t use cell / SIM service. Connect your phone to your home wifi and update FF6 app.

You should plug your phone with FreeFlight6 to your controller and open the controller to turn it on. USB (standard) out of the controller and into your phone. Note: USB-C is for charging the controller only.
Turn your phone to Airplane mode! Your controller will update the software in the controller using FF6 that you have already installed on your phone.
When prompted by FF6 (after the controller has updated), turn on your Anafi. FF6 will then upgrade the Anafi.

Then... fly little one!

By the way... the manual covers this ;)

Reactions: Krusty Geeza
Howdy Edd, congratulations on your Anafi. :)

You will need a data connection of some sort initially, but that can be your home/work/public library wifi if need be. This is so that the Anafi & Skycontroller can be updated before you head off to fly. Believe me when I say that the updates are well worth doing.

Full instructions as to how to get going with this process are over on Parrot's site.

By the way, your phone or tablet doesn't need to be USB-C at all. There are a list of other processing factors needed, but USB-C connection is not one of them!

Check here for compatibility requirements.
Somewhere out there on the internet is a compatability list of technical requirements for mobile phones & tablets to be able to use Freeflight 6 properly. I can't find it though! :eek:

Reactions: Efliernz
Im a new guy to any of this and am getting a lil frustrated, my day to day smartphone is not a usb-c device so I picked one up used that is but it has no service or carrier therefor it does not have wifi out in the big world. I have yet to get my anafi to fly or even spin its props I feel kinda dumb about this please give me a nudge out of the nest,(I believe I can fly...)

Welcome,

First off, what kind of connector does your "normal phone" have? There are MANY options to either adapt or replace the cable to allow the remote to plug into your phone. There is nothing special or dedicated about the cable coming from the remote to your device so you don't need it to be USB C on that end! You need a USB A on the end that goes into the controller and whatever you have on your phone ( lightning, micro usb, whatever, depending on what phone you have)
How do you charge the phone? That charging cable will most likely have a USB A connection where it plugs into the wall adapter? Try using that? All the phones come with a charging cable and most of those, that were supplied with the phone, will allow "data transfer" as well as charging ....that is the only requirement.

As above, you DO NOT need an actual connection to the internet to fly the drone. Just connect the phone through a WIFI connection of your choice to download/install the "free flight 6 " app, do updates, load maps, etc. Once you connect the phone to the controller, the controller does all the communication to the drone that you need and the phone just becomes basically a view screen and a data processor.
So not having a mobile data ( cellular signal ) connection will not affect the ability to fly.

PLEASE...Download a copy of the manual and familiarize yourself with the operations of this or any drone.
Also, there are ALOT of videos out there regarding the ANAFI and its operations/features, etc that will help enormously

Last edited:
What cable are you using to charge the phone? Every phone I have own has one end that plugs into a USB port and the other end into the phone. The standard USB end would plug into the controller and the other end into the phone as it would if you were charging the phone.

As others have mentioned you would connect to your home wifi to download Freeflight 6 to your phone and the latest firmware for the controller and Anafi. After that you won't need a phone wifi connection, you will be connecting to the controller and Anafi via the phone/controller connection via the cable.

I am current using an IPhone with no cellular service to operate the Anafi, did everything as described above and flying.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PhilippB