Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Horseshoe Dam tests during some water release... And...A little tracking coming from the lake...

Thanks for posting - nice video. In the beginning of the video, I thought you might try to fly below the catwalk and above the spillway water and then out over the lake - Be a pretty amazing shot, but I don't think I would try it!

Reactions: jmbsmt63
Thanks for posting - nice video. In the beginning of the video, I thought you might try to fly below the catwalk and above the spillway water and then out over the lake - Be a pretty amazing shot, but I don't think I would try it!

Thank You!

Yeah, I considered doing exactly that but wimped out!! Would be a great shot!!
I was quite a bit away and I wasn't expecting that kind of flow out of the dam this visit. I visited that over a year ago and the lake was less than 1/2 of what it was on Monday when I filmed this.
I might venture closer to the actual dam and see if I have the courage to fly IN the spillway if I can keep an eye on the drone.
I also filmed this with my EVO on Monday...I got close enough with that drone to the spray to get the lens wet!!!

Thanks for sharing this. Is there any chance you could share your capture settings & what may have been done in editing with us all, so we have some point of reference to understand fully what we are seeing in regards to the visual quality?

I know, I'm a pedant... :rolleyes:

Nice flying by the way. :)(y)

Thanks for sharing this. Is there any chance you could share your capture settings & what may have been done in editing with us all, so we have some point of reference to understand fully what we are seeing in regards to the visual quality?

I know, I'm a pedant... :rolleyes:

Nice flying by the way. :)(y)

Thank You!

OK, Here is what I remember ( I also shot the same scenes with my EVO that same visit so I will recall the Anafi's settings)

Shot in 2K 30 FPS, no filter, "blue sky" White Balance, -0.3 exposure, "natural color", everything else auto.
As far as editing, I used Adobe Premiere Pro and rendered at 2K 60 FPS with "high adaptive bit rate" and "max rendering quality"

This is where it gets "interesting"...The very first ( up to approx 1:54) scene/sequence recorded came out VERY overexposed ( which has been happening a lot as late at least for me) So I used the following setting in "lumetri color" for that first scene: Exposure -3.0, +22 sharpness, +20 vibrance, +34 contrast, +11.4 highlights, -18 shadows, +2.7 whites, -33 blacks, +112 saturation

The rest of the scenes/sequences used the following: Exposure +0.3, +22 sharpness, +20 vibrance, +30 contrast, +11.4 highlights, +4.9 shadows, +2.7 whites, +12.5 blacks, +112 saturation

I spent way too much time trying to get that first clip to match the others since it came out so much brighter than the rest. I had stopped recording then started again a few times but only the first to be shot was way over-exposed....
This has happened to me aprox 50% of the time but I did not notice it as much in the phone's display while recording this time until I reviewed the videos to trim/edit.
Usually just stopping and then re-starting the recording corrects this....I am racking my brain trying to remember but I think this has been happening since the last update ( Android )

Last edited:
Reactions: Krusty Geeza
Thank You!

OK, Here is what I remember ( I also shot the same scenes with my EVO that same visit so I will recall the Anafi's settings)

Shot in 2K 30 FPS, no filter, "blue sky" White Balance, -0.3 exposure, everything else auto.
As far as editing, I used Adobe Premiere Pro and rendered at 2K 60 FPS with "high adaptive bit rate" and "max rendering quality"

This is where it gets "interesting"...The very first ( up to approx 1:54) scene/sequence recorded came out VERY overexposed ( which has been happening a lot as late at least for me) So I used the following setting in "lumetri color" for that first scene: Exposure -3.0, +22 sharpness, +20 vibrance, +34 contrast, +11.4 highlights, -18 shadows, +2.7 whites, -33 blacks, +112 saturation

The rest of the scenes/sequences used the following: Exposure +0.3, +22 sharpness, +20 vibrance, +30 contrast, +11.4 highlights, +4.9 shadows, +2.7 whites, +12.5 blacks, +112 saturation

I spent way too much time trying to get that first clip to match the others since it came out so much brighter than the rest. I had stopped recording then started again a few times but only the first to be shot was way over-exposed....
This has happened to me aprox 50% of the time but I did not notice it as much in the phone's display while recording this time until I reviewed the videos to trim/edit.
Usually just stopping and then re-starting the recording corrects this....I am racking my brain trying to remember but I think this has been happening since the last update ( Android )
That was brilliant, thanks a lot for the effort & sharing of your techniques used! So much detail as to what you did all the way through, which I'm sure will be of interest to others as well as myself. :)

What I have worked out , well, it's not confirmed, but is rather a suspicion based on my observations is that the Anafi doesn't meter its exposure off the entire scene, but rather a large portion of the centre part. Akin to Partial Metering in photography, if you like. Then if I am flying to a lighter region from a darker one, I do that first, meter on the lighter portion, then lock off exposure through manual settings & go back to do it for the camera. It's somewhat convoluted, but it works!

I definitely wouldn't be flying the Anafi too close to all that incredible turbulence, I'd be scared it would be sucked into it. :eek:

Thanks again for your sharing, it's appreciated. (y)

That was brilliant, thanks a lot for the effort & sharing of your techniques used! So much detail as to what you did all the way through, which I'm sure will be of interest to others as well as myself. :)

What I have worked out , well, it's not confirmed, but is rather a suspicion based on my observations is that the Anafi doesn't meter its exposure off the entire scene, but rather a large portion of the centre part. Akin to Partial Metering in photography, if you like. Then if I am flying to a lighter region from a darker one, I do that first, meter on the lighter portion, then lock off exposure through manual settings & go back to do it for the camera. It's somewhat convoluted, but it works!

I definitely wouldn't be flying the Anafi too close to all that incredible turbulence, I'd be scared it would be sucked into it. :eek:

Thanks again for your sharing, it's appreciated. (y)

Again, Thank You,

I forgot to add that all that was recorded in "Natural" (edited now)

Although you are right about the exposure being " center weighted" it can be changed by locking in on an area by touching the screen.... but... with ANY drone that is kind of a moot point it is moving and changing constantly
From what I have seen so far, my concerns with the "first record" are not the normal changing of the metering. It appears to be a bug/fault because it corrects if I stop then re-start the recording!
Here in the sunlight of AZ, I find that setting the EV to -0.3 helps with the washout, so I leave that as a default for everything.

Here is a bit of that "first clip" BEFORE I adjusted in Premiere to match the other shots...Again I did not do anything on the drone's settings just stoppped/restarted the video recording

And this is an example ( trying to mimic the first shot that it exposed closer to "normal". Again this is "as shot"

Last edited:
Say, I fly an Evo too along with the Anafi. Have you posted any of the Evo footage of the dam?

Say, I fly an Evo too along with the Anafi. Have you posted any of the Evo footage of the dam?
Yes, I posted in the Autel Pilots "EVO" forum here. As well as posted it on YouTube same as the Anafi clips...I guess search You Tube for me "John Becker" or just look in the EVO forum here?

Again, Thank You,

I forgot to add that all that was recorded in "Natural" (edited now)

Although you are right about the exposure being " center weighted" it can be changed by locking in on an area by touching the screen.... but... with ANY drone that is kind of a moot point it is moving and changing constantly
From what I have seen so far, my concerns with the "first record" are not the normal changing of the metering. It appears to be a bug/fault because it corrects if I stop then re-start the recording!
Here in the sunlight of AZ, I find that setting the EV to -0.3 helps with the washout, so I leave that as a default for everything.

Here is a bit of that "first clip" BEFORE I adjusted in Premiere to match the other shots...Again I did not do anything on the drone's settings just stoppped/restarted the video recording

And this is an example ( trying to mimic the first shot that it exposed closer to "normal". Again this is "as shot"

I have found that the Natural setting is a great starting point for editing (or for those that don't edit to just be able to use it as is), & gives me better results than the P-Log footage actually.

I use something I do with metering of my photography, where I meter off the hottest part of the scene, expose for that & lock it off so it can't change at all through the use of manual settings. I don't mind if some shadows are blocked up completely, but blown out highlights bug me.

The changing of exposure is not something I have experienced with my footage captures. I'm constantly stopping video to grab some photo's, then going back to video with the same settings being there, but, as mentioned above, I don't touch a section of the screen using AE lock. Maybe it's a bug with that feature?

That's quite the difference! A good job with balancing it out too! That's all part of my learning right now, colour grading & finishing. I'm slowly plodding through some Lynda tutorials for FCPX on this & gleaning lots of information & tips for it.

I guess search You Tube for me "John Becker"
Becker! Your forum communications are so much better than your bedside manner! Sorry, couldn't resist... I'm sure you've heard it a million times before... :rolleyes:

hqdefault.jpg

I have found that the Natural setting is a great starting point for editing (or for those that don't edit to just be able to use it as is), & gives me better results than the P-Log footage actually.

I use something I do with metering of my photography, where I meter off the hottest part of the scene, expose for that & lock it off so it can't change at all through the use of manual settings. I don't mind if some shadows are blocked up completely, but blown out highlights bug me.

The changing of exposure is not something I have experienced with my footage captures. I'm constantly stopping video to grab some photo's, then going back to video with the same settings being there, but, as mentioned above, I don't touch a section of the screen using AE lock. Maybe it's a bug with that feature?

That's quite the difference! A good job with balancing it out too! That's all part of my learning right now, colour grading & finishing. I'm slowly plodding through some Lynda tutorials for FCPX on this & gleaning lots of information & tips for it.

Becker! Your forum communications are so much better than your bedside manner! Sorry, couldn't resist... I'm sure you've heard it a million times before... :rolleyes:

hqdefault.jpg

Thanks ( I think...lol)

Honestly, I think I watched maybe a total of 6 episodes of that show so I am unfamiliar with his "bedside manner"
And yes, I have had the show referenced A LOT... But a good thing came from that in the form of it makes it so I don't have to spell my name to people over the phone anymore :)

• Haha
I believe that it is a bug with either the drone or the app. I didn't touch anything to "lock" the exposure on either recording...It just records way too exposed at first ( like I set it that way) and goes back to "normal" after just stopping/restarting...Again not changing anything in the settings or exposure.

I just did a reset on the Anfi and the first trial after that was OK...Fingers crossed!

I live in NE Mesa. I recently got the Anafi, but a big chicken to fly like you guys. Excellent flight.

I live in NE Mesa. I recently got the Anafi, but a big chicken to fly like you guys. Excellent flight.

Thank You,
Just try to "play" with the drone and ALL of it's settings/options and your confidence will increase. The more time you spend flying the more you'll want to! You should have a lot of open area outside mesa there to experiment.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut