Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

How to assess health of a used Anafi drone?

Jet

Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a used/refurbed Anafi from someone on Craigslist?

Is there a way to determine the number of cycles a battery has on it? Anybody know how many cycles you should expect to get with an Anafi battery if it were treated properly?

What's the best/easiest and quickest way to assess the health of a battery at purchase time (with a seller in your presence)?

On a related note it is my understanding that each flight is logged in the MyFlights area in the app. I'm assuming that each file equates to 1 flight, correct? Is there an easy way to determine the number of flights/flight time without counting each log file

Is there a quick and easy way to determine whether the drone has been in a crash (other than visible physical damage to the drone) without opening up each and every flight log file? (e.g., Are self-check start up errors displayed on main screen of app?)

How would you determine if the Anafi has been in a crash? I assume it would be displayed somehow in the flight log?

Would it be reasonable to ask the current owner to post the flight log files (e.g., on DropBox) before meeting with the seller? Specifically is there a way to upload all the flight log files in bulk mode rather than 1 file at a time. And if the seller did upload them would I be able to easily gleam any useful information from them (e.g., easily identify a crash event) or are they all cryptic in nature that requires expertise to interpret them?

Is there an easy way to determine if the drone has been in a crash without opening up each flight file? (e.g., maybe flight log file color is yellow or red vs normal green color?)

Any other tips for quickly assessing the health of an Anafi drone before buying it? My plan is to require that the owner do a test flight in my presence? Maybe you guys have some things to look for in a test flight (e.g., levelness of the horizon, etc). Any thoughts would be appreciated?

I've never touched much less flown an Anafi before so any advice would be helpful and specificity would be appreciated since I'm not that familiar with the details of the Anafi or it's app.

This type of information would not only be helpful to me but also any other person looking to purchase an Anafi.

Thanks in advance,

Jet

As far as I know:
1. Battery charging cycles cannot be read out and there is no battery health display/indicator.
2. Crashes are logged, but the log file on the drone can be deleted by formatting/clearing the SD card.
3. The flight logs downloaded to the app can also be deleted.
4. Getting the flight logs from the owner is a good choice. You can read these logs with the Show Anafi Log program, see the sticky thread here! Crashes are logged in these files, but you must have a look on each file.

Best way is to fly the drone:
Visible damages, legs fold easily, lens clear? Smartphone connects to controller with USB cable?
Gimbal makes initializing movement on power on, fan running? In the app: controller and drone symbol green and GPS symbol becomes green after a few seconds?
Problems with liftoff, landing, hoovering? Reacts on all controller stick movements? Zoom working?
Life feed clear? At least 1 photo and 1 video quality ok?

Good idea: take someone with you, who has experience with Anafi.

Reactions: Drone Keswick
As far as I know:
1. Battery charging cycles cannot be read out and there is no battery health display/indicator.
2. Crashes are logged, but the log file on the drone can be deleted by formatting/clearing the SD card.
3. The flight logs downloaded to the app can also be deleted.
4. Getting the flight logs from the owner is a good choice. You can read these logs with the Show Anafi Log program, see the sticky thread here! Crashes are logged in these files, but you must have a look on each file.

Best way is to fly the drone:
Visible damages, legs fold easily, lens clear? Smartphone connects to controller with USB cable?
Gimbal makes initializing movement on power on, fan running? In the app: controller and drone symbol green and GPS symbol becomes green after a few seconds?
Problems with liftoff, landing, hoovering? Reacts on all controller stick movements? Zoom working?
Life feed clear? At least 1 photo and 1 video quality ok?

Good idea: take someone with you, who has experience with Anafi.
Hey Dirk, thanks for the quick and thorough response. Great suggestions!

Wrt the battery health, given there is no cycle logging, I was thinking I could have the seller bring the batteries fully charged and then use a "battery meter/health indicator " and make sure that each cell has a similar charge level. I believe that if a multi-cell battery's cells have dramatically different charge levels something is amiss, right?

So, I guess the flight logs can always be edited (i.e., deleted) so I can't count on those to determine if there was a crash.

Good suggestion to bring an Anafi owner with me....unfortunately wish I don't know any Anafi owners here in San Diego.

BTW, did you attach the app for reading the logs...I didn't see it...I may have missed it.

Thanks again,

Cheers,
Jet

Yes for the battery you could probably use a LiIon tester, but I never tried. There is also no middle contact between the two cells accessable, so that you could only measure the 2 cells in a row. I would only look for battery deformation.
The Anafi battery has a built in balancer, so that the cells should be leveled, if it was always charged over it's USB port.
ShowAnafiLog is on GitHub:

Dirk, Good points on the battery...I'm new to this so I'm just trying to apply what I think I know or have read.

Thanks for the pointer to the showanafilog app on gitHub.

Cheers.

IronSky1, thanks for sharing. I wonder which or if any of the values shown in your example are auto-detected and set automatically by the Drone vs requiring the user manually enter the battery value. I'm guessing that the user must manually "fill in/select" all of these values?

Nevertheless it's nice to have a record of this information. Also just curious if the Anafi can somehow recognize a "new" battery it's never seen and auto prompt user to enter the battery info for the "new" battery.

Cheers,
Jet

I cannot comment on that. Load all flight data from my DJI and Parrot drones into Airdata. I beleive you can try out for free. The service I use is about 80.00 US per year

Hi if the price is much less than a new anafi it may be worth a look and try but think i would buy new every time and take any doubt away and have warranty to fall back on should it be needed. Only my personal thoughts though. Ian

Hi if the price is much less than a new anafi it may be worth a look and try but think i would buy new every time and take any doubt away and have warranty to fall back on should it be needed. Only my personal thoughts though. Ian
Yep agreed...however, while my mind says new my budget says used. :)
I'm looking for an Anafi with 3 batteries so buying the Extended Combo new is going to run you $899 + tax. Ouch!

I have found some Extended Combos for sale on Craiglist for as low as $575 (that also included some additional goodies, case, filters, motor covers, leg extensions, etc). Great deal....However, it seems that no one is willing to entertain a "remote" transaction....even though using PayPal makes it risk free and painless for the Seller (all the risk lies with the buyer...e.g., Anafi is not as advertised or seller takes your money and runs).

I'll keep looking.

Cheers.
I cannot comment on that. Load all flight data from my DJI and Parrot drones into Airdata. I beleive you can try out for free. The service I use is about 80.00 US per year
Oh...I thought it was just an app for reading the flight log/battery info..didn't realize it was a pay for service...nevertheless, interesting.

Is there any benefit to saving your flight data other than just for personal use....e.g., maybe some certification requires proof of X hours of flight time?

Cheers

Yep agreed...however, while my mind says new my budget says used. :)
I'm looking for an Anafi with 3 batteries so buying the Extended Combo new is going to run you $899 + tax. Ouch!

I have found some Extended Combos for sale on Craiglist for as low as $575 (that also included some additional goodies, case, filters, motor covers, leg extensions, etc). Great deal....However, it seems that no one is willing to entertain a "remote" transaction....even though using PayPal makes it risk free and painless for the Seller (all the risk lies with the buyer...e.g., Anafi is not as advertised or seller takes your money and runs).

I'll keep looking.

Cheers.

Oh...I thought it was just an app for reading the flight log/battery info..didn't realize it was a pay for service...nevertheless, interesting.

Is there any benefit to saving your flight data other than just for personal use....e.g., maybe some certification requires proof of X hours of flight time?

Cheers

I think the resistance to a remote transaction is all the headaches that could arise in a transaction that falls through for one reason or another. If you're face to face, the person buying has an opportunity to inspect the drone and fly it you eliminate a lot of what could go wrong when expectations based on a text message conversation aren't realized. Appearance, performance, assigning fault if something should go wrong during a test flight (problem with the drone, problem with set-up, problem with local interference, etc.,). There are a lot of opportunities for things to go wrong that are avoided in a face to face transaction.

Absolutely agree it could get messy...And I understand the reluctance...but based on my experience with remote sellers their #1 fear and reluctance seems to be that they will be scammed. Again, that's speaking just from my personal experience. And there is a lot of potential for the seller to be scammed in a remote transaction if the seller isn't savvy (e.g, accepts cashier checks, accept partial payment, personal checks, etc, etc). And I understand that but based on what I've learned from my own reading Paypal payment eliminates the REAL $ risks (seller doesn't get paid) for the seller. I could be wrong..but that is what my research tells me thus far.

Having said that I'm beginning to get have SERIOUS reservations about getting a Parrot Anafi. I've been interacting with Parrot Support (primarily via email) trying to get clarification regarding basic Warranty and Support issues (e.g., How they handle warranty claims, whose responsible for what, post warranty claims, etc). Standard questions...frankly that should be addressed via a basic FAQ for support and warranty. And I will have to say it's been a very POOR exasperating experience.

I'm asking VERY straightforward BASIC questions and I can't get answers to these questions without multiple interactions...having to reword questions because clearly they didn't understand what I was asking because their answer was non-sensical, re-asking (numbered) questions that they simply chose to not respond to, etc. Based on my experience and the answers they've given me thus far it appears that Parrot does not have a "Solution" for supporting their USA customers (e.g., no US repair centers, everything must be sent back to France for warranty repairs if your outside of time period for returning the vendor that you purchase it from and you pay for shipping both ways, zero post warranty support unless you have a European postal address, etc. etc.). Not good...and very disappointing to say the least.

If you buy a Parrot product you just better ask yourself one question: "Are you feeling lucky?" because if you have an issue (e.g., crash that requires a Parrot repair or maybe even a defective product pre- or post-warranty) you may very well have a $600+ paperweight on your hands if you can't do the repair yourself assuming you have the skills and you can even find the parts.

It may be time to shift my focus to a company that can offer a complete solution...even if it is a more costly albeit less desirable solution for me.

Whew I feel better now....Thanks for listening...or not. :p

Sorry for the rant...I'm just really annoyed with Parrot Support right now....just when you think you've found the perfect drone for your needs.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I've heard the same concerns regarding DJI. I'm guessing you've been on the forums for Phantom, Mavic, etc. and you can find some horror stories there also. Fortunately the issue I had with my Anafi were taken care of by the retailer (Best Buy) immediately. Another company I deal with that was very good as far as backing their product was Holy Stone. It wasn't an expensive drone ($80) but when I contacted them about a broken phone holder on the controller they sent me a whole new package including the drone and controller.

Reactions: Jet
Unfortunately I've heard the same concerns regarding DJI. I'm guessing you've been on the forums for Phantom, Mavic, etc. and you can find some horror stories there also. Fortunately the issue I had with my Anafi were taken care of by the retailer (Best Buy) immediately. Another company I deal with that was very good as far as backing their product was Holy Stone. It wasn't an expensive drone ($80) but when I contacted them about a broken phone holder on the controller they sent me a whole new package including the drone and controller.
No I haven't been monitoring DJI forums YET...what general types of issues are you referring to? Denying warranty claims?

What I do know is that there is DJI repair facility right here in San Diego that I could go to get repairs done...either inside the Drone warranty period or outside the drone warranty period if I'm willing to pay for them to do the work.

No need to send my drone to and from France on my own nickel to for Parrot to address a warranty issue. And even worse to be told I can't get any repairs from Parrot once my warranty has expired.

Thoughts?

No I haven't been monitoring DJI forums YET...what general types of issues are you referring to? Denying warranty claims?

What I do know is that there is DJI repair facility right here in San Diego that I could go to get repairs done...either inside the Drone warranty period or outside the drone warranty period if I'm willing to pay for them to do the work.

No need to send my drone to and from France on my own nickel to for Parrot to address a warranty issue. And even worse to be told I can't get any repairs from Parrot once my warranty has expired.

Thoughts?

The same as with Parrot...unexplained fly aways, difficulty getting a response, denial of warranty claims, etc. I'm sure some of the denials are legitimate because the customer couldn't provide enough evidence to substantiate the issue was caused by a defect in the drone (hardware or software) and of course you usually only get one side of the issue in forum post. I've heard people on various DJI forums that like their DJI drone but say their customer service experience was terrible, especially if it's not an issue that can be answer via a rote scripted dialog.

The same as with Parrot...unexplained fly aways, difficulty getting a response, denial of warranty claims, etc. I'm sure some of the denials are legitimate because the customer couldn't provide enough evidence to substantiate the issue was caused by a defect in the drone (hardware or software) and of course you usually only get one side of the issue in forum post. I've heard people on various DJI forums that like their DJI drone but say their customer service experience was terrible, especially if it's not an issue that can be answer via a rote scripted dialog.

Yep...I'm not at all surprised that DJI faces many of these same support challenges and issues that plague companies that sell technically oriented products (e.g., untrained/inexperience support staff). And believe me I have no illusion that it is all "sunshine and rainbows" at DJI.

At this point I'm just trying to assess whether the drone manufacturer has the capability to support me after purchase....and of course that includes both inside and outside the warranty period.

If it is true that Parrot doesn't offer a way to repair their drones in the USA (or in any part of the world according to some in this forum) this is a MAJOR red flag to me and will likely be a showstopper for purchasing a Parrot drone of any type. This alone tells me that Parrot has NO clue and/or they are NOT serious about offering a product to the consumer marketplace in the US or in any part of the world.

Love them or hate them at least with DJI I could have my product fixed if I'm willing to fork over the money. I'm not a DJI fan but it's looking more and more likely that they'll get my business in large part because no other vendor is offering a "Solution" for the consumer market.

I bought my Anafi Extended version at BestBuy a couple weeks ago for $799. It was the best deal on the market at that time. The case, 2 extra batteries and extra cables really make this a great deal.

I bought my Anafi Extended version at BestBuy a couple weeks ago for $799. It was the best deal on the market at that time. The case, 2 extra batteries and extra cables really make this a great deal.
Congrats....I agree that the Extended version is the way to go if you are going to buy new. Happy flying!

Cheers

Yep...I'm not at all surprised that DJI faces many of these same support challenges and issues that plague companies that sell technically oriented products (e.g., untrained/inexperience support staff). And believe me I have no illusion that it is all "sunshine and rainbows" at DJI.

At this point I'm just trying to assess whether the drone manufacturer has the capability to support me after purchase....and of course that includes both inside and outside the warranty period.

If it is true that Parrot doesn't offer a way to repair their drones in the USA (or in any part of the world according to some in this forum) this is a MAJOR red flag to me and will likely be a showstopper for purchasing a Parrot drone of any type. This alone tells me that Parrot has NO clue and/or they are NOT serious about offering a product to the consumer marketplace in the US or in any part of the world.

Love them or hate them at least with DJI I could have my product fixed if I'm willing to fork over the money. I'm not a DJI fan but it's looking more and more likely that they'll get my business in large part because no other vendor is offering a "Solution" for the consumer market.
Have you researched Autel and their EVO as an alternative?
U.S. service I believe,with English as their primary language,so communication shouldn't be an issue.Pricing seems to be up in the DJI range.

Have you researched Autel and their EVO as an alternative?
U.S. service I believe,with English as their primary language,so communication shouldn't be an issue.Pricing seems to be up in the DJI range.
Thanev, I have not...$999+ is more than I wanted to spend. I ended up purchasing a refurbed Anafi for $412 so it was a really good price.
Also bought a Mavic Air for $549 + tax at recent Target sale...but I'm returning it. A nice drone but it's so annoyingly loud I'm going to return it.

Cheers.

Reactions: Thanev

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
veloviento