Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

I am confused about the real distance the anafi can fly

Wade Gizzy

Reaction score
I see on the anagi specifications that it can fly 2 and 1/2 miles, however on YouTube videos I see people having a hard time flying up to 500 yards, and maintaining visual contact with the smartphone.
Why the contradiction?

Companies tend to post specs from perfect conditions. Like battery flight times. Most are done in the Lab in doors under ideal conditions.
WiFi signals are not the best and you need places where there is no interference. I live out in the country and can go over 1.5 mile very easily. Maybe even farther but have not tried.

Okay that makes sense. I used a Bebop 2, until somebody stole it out of my car when I was pumping gas and went in to get a sandwich. Actually I was happy they stole it. I wasn't going to buy another one and until the Bebop died.
I have lots of issues with the Bebop but it seems like the Amalfi took care of them.
It would be nice if the anafi had object avoidance, but I found if I just used a reasonable amount of precaution I don't think object avoidance is a deal-breaker.
Also have heard that the object avoidance isn't a hundred percent deal.
It's almost like having four wheel drive and you get a little careless on how you drive so you end up just getting stuck in worse places.
I am leaning hard towards anafi. I will be using my drone almost exclusively in rural areas and in the wild.
I took my Bebop 2 out to the extent of its 1.2 mile range and had visual contact the whole time.
I'm only going to have one drone so any advice between the DJI mavic pro and the anafi?

I get ranges similar to Agustine. If connected to the controller you can put the phone into airplane mode which helps reduce interference, and pointing the flat top of the controller towards the drone improves connection greatly for me.

Hi, range depends on a number of things;

US or EU/other as different countries has differing regulations on permissible transmission power and frequency 2.4/5ghz for the WiFi. Local WiFi can cause issues, but if you can push through it you should be fine. Good video below;

In the UK I am lucky to get 500 yards and the signal gets worse when you try and turn it around to head home. The antennas on the Anafi seem a bit direction not offering 360degrees around it.

Next time rather than turning it around I shall reverse back before rotating.

I'm only going to have one drone so any advice between the DJI mavic pro and the anafi?

Since I own several DJI machines, I feel qualified to comment that DJI products are excellent, highly developed machines that provide terrific performance, but they all come with "training wheels" attached, that are not removable. I have found that as I became familiar and "comfortable" with each drone, I always soon began to wish that it could "do just a little bit more or better". DJI's marketing philosophy seems to be that if you need additional features, you should purchase the next better DJI model, along with all the associated and necessary accessories.

Anafi on the other hand, is just beginning to hit it's stride. It's full development potential has yet to be barely realized, particularly so considering Anafi's camera. Give Parrot time to fully polish the Anafi system. I expect Anafi to be an industry trend setter...

In the UK I am lucky to get 500 yards and the signal gets worse when you try and turn it around to head home. The antennas on the Anafi seem a bit direction not offering 360degrees around it.

Next time rather than turning it around I shall reverse back before rotating.

In settings try setting 5.8ghz manually. This greatly improved my range. It is counter intuitive I know, but was suggested to me by Parrot and it worked for me. I also put my phone in airplane mode.

Reactions: Jed Anafi
In settings try setting 5.8ghz manually. This greatly improved my range. It is counter intuitive I know, but was suggested to me by Parrot and it worked for me. I also put my phone in airplane mode.

Welcome RemE, nice to see you over here.

RCG is not what it used to be. Some very good people here from all parts of the world so we get all kinds of great advice.

If long range (over 1 mile) is important to you then Mavic Pro is worth the extra cost because of DJI Occusynch technology.

I have routinely got a mile range with Anafi in low interference environments, phone in airplane mode, using 2.4 and making sure the transmitter is facing the drone with no obstacle

For me, the Anafi works best on the 5.8ghz channel 157 and switch on airplane mode. I live in suburban Chicago with a lot of wifi interference around. I routinely get about 2000 to 2500 feet in residential areas and about 4500 to 5000 feet in low (more rural/farmland) wifi interference areas. However, I rarely fly more than 1,500 to 2,000 feet away, as I am using the drone for photography and video purposes. I like to see the drone when flying as much as possible. To me, distance is not my thing, but a solid signal/link between the controller and the drone is most important. The Anafi does that well for me, as long as I don't stretch the distance too much.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut