Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Ice On The Props

Jagerbomb52

Reaction score
Today it snowed and it was warm enough that there was actually a mist in the air. Trying to solve my follow me problems with my oldest Anafi I went out for a test flight when the weather seemed to be clear of snow and mist. After landing I was in shocked to see the props. They all looked like they where shattered with tiny cracks. Turned out there was enough moisture in the air and just the right temp to cause icing on the props. Good thing I just did a short test and landed ?

2020-01-05 15.02.18.jpg

2020-01-05 15.02.34.jpg

You do like to live dangerously pushing the envelope don't you :)
Did the props sound any different whilst the Anafi was in flight or does your thick warm hat mask the noise?

• Haha
Reactions: Jagerbomb52
They sound the same to me. Never noticed anything was wrong till I landed.
On a side note I think I might have solved the problem with Anafi #1 in follow me mode. About two or three updates ago it started to do a "bunny hop" in follow me mode. It went away I think on the second last update and seems to have come back on this last up date. What I can see is it starts the bunny hop and loses me in the frame. No idea why it just takes off though. This test it never took off so now I am really confused LOL

Today it snowed and it was warm enough that there was actually a mist in the air. Trying to solve my follow me problems with my oldest Anafi I went out for a test flight when the weather seemed to be clear of snow and mist. After landing I was in shocked to see the props. They all looked like they where shattered with tiny cracks. Turned out there was enough moisture in the air and just the right temp to cause icing on the props. Good thing I just did a short test and landed ?

View attachment 3237

View attachment 3238

This happened to me too back in November. Saw an opportunity near home to get some shots above the fog.... Temp on the ground was around -3C and you could see the sun through the fog. Went out to some fields and got the Anafi above the fog - only about 40-50m up. Got some great shots but props were very icy when I landed. When watching some of the video footage later I noticed occasional strange streaks in the sky.... which I assume are bits of ice being thrown from the props! - see photo of screenshot from video. Hadn't happened before or since, but worth considering as you say, Agustine.

Attachments

• 20191117_freezing_fog1_resized.JPG
    20191117_freezing_fog1_resized.JPG
    684.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 20191117_freezing_fog2_resized.jpg
    20191117_freezing_fog2_resized.jpg
    450.7 KB · Views: 60
Ya I have had it happen on my other UAV's with Carbon Fiber props but I have never had it happen with plastic props till now.

I wonder if we could give the props a little de-icing spray of some kind.

I’m always happy with how silicone lube keeps the snow from sticking to the shovel, I wonder if a bit of something like it or rain-x might prevent some of the buildup.

Just poked about a bit with the old googleator, and I see some other people have had success with this idea, a bit of silicone spray will help keep water off, though you do have to reapply as it wears off, and it helps but can’t really prevent it completely.

I wonder if we could give the props a little de-icing spray of some kind.

I’m always happy with how silicone lube keeps the snow from sticking to the shovel, I wonder if a bit of something like it or rain-x might prevent some of the buildup.

Just poked about a bit with the old googleator, and I see some other people have had success with this idea, a bit of silicone spray will help keep water off, though you do have to reapply as it wears off, and it helps but can’t really prevent it completely.

You do have to take care and make sure what ever you use does not deteriorate plastic over time.

This happened to me too back in November. Saw an opportunity near home to get some shots above the fog.... Temp on the ground was around -3C and you could see the sun through the fog. Went out to some fields and got the Anafi above the fog - only about 40-50m up. Got some great shots but props were very icy when I landed. When watching some of the video footage later I noticed occasional strange streaks in the sky.... which I assume are bits of ice being thrown from the props! - see photo of screenshot from video. Hadn't happened before or since, but worth considering as you say, Agustine.
This is the weather in Hungary right now. You can see through the fog that the sun is shining. I thought I'd upload Anafi to make a movie.
Did you have a problem landing? I'm asking because one of the owners (flew over the fog) with DJI Spark couldn't land because the infrared sensor detected the fog and didn't want to come down.
Anafi has an ultrasonic sensor. Didn't the fog bother you?

This is the weather in Hungary right now. You can see through the fog that the sun is shining. I thought I'd upload Anafi to make a movie.
Did you have a problem landing? I'm asking because one of the owners (flew over the fog) with DJI Spark couldn't land because the infrared sensor detected the fog and didn't want to come down.
Anafi has an ultrasonic sensor. Didn't the fog bother you?

Fortunately no issue at all with landing. Have also landed it without any issues through some thicker fog than in my example photos above.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut