Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Incident Log

Just a suggestion:

From the many posts about crashes here I find some additional infos very important on each crash to find a possible cause or to give Parrot hints (for software/hardware improvements):
- flying constellation: smartphone alone, with SC3?
- smartphone: model, operating system?
- any background software running: ______ (virus scanner, screen recorder, battery watch ...) or FF6 running as single app?
- a crash happened WITH THIS DRONE before (No.: link in table) J/N
- battery level at takeoff
- battery level at crash time
- flight area temperature
- battery at room temperature or higher before flight J/N
- "disconnected" warning appeared before crash J/N
- "low battery" warning appeared before crash J/N
- "motor error" warning appeared before crash J/N
- any other error warning before crash: ______ (which?)
- the crash flight was logged completely or broken mid-air
- a crash is logged/counted in FF6 (on the drone's page) J/N
- "shaking propeller noise" heard directly after crash J/N (normally this is identical with the "a crash logged/counted in FF6" point above)
- a drone contact with obstacles happend before crash J/N
- propellers ok and without damages before flight J/N
- life-feed active before/after crash: ______
- last pilot action before crash/problem: ______
- man. piloting mode or autonomous mode before crash: ______ (which mode? part of the autonom. flight, in which crash happened?)
- RTH active while crashing J/N

Of course these elementary infos could be found in the report of the pilot, but who remembers to answer all the relevant points?
In addition a column for most of these infos would improve the possibility to compare crashes and crash causes.

Hi!

Apologies for my late response - I am mostly offline these days.

Thank you very much for your feedback, I tried to keep it as simple as possible but I added the suggested columns in the spreadsheet. All Columns are optional anyway.

Best Regards
Vassilis

Hi Vassilag. I means to insert a column in the Excel sheet of the incidents with the data on how many charge cycles the battery was flying with. It can be an important data..

Hi Vassilag. I means to insert a column in the Excel sheet of the incidents with the data on how many charge cycles the battery was flying with. It can be an important data..

I totally agree with it - it is an important factor but I don't know how someone can read this number in FF6 or elsewhere. - How can I find this number for my battery?

Thanks!

Parrot supplies very little data for the battery unfortunately. The .JSON file seems to only reference the percentage from what I can tell so unless someone has been keeping up to date logs that value would be left empty a lot.

Ops !! È vero. :) Non vi è alcun riferimento su FF6 per i cicli della batteria. Io ho una batteria sola e posso regolarmi sui cicli in base a quanti voli ho fatto e in quali giorni ..

Reactions: Vassilag
This is something that Parrot can and I believe should include in their FF6 App. Giving the Pilot more information about their batteries is a good thing. This information is available in my X-Star App. It gives me a lot of information about my batteries condition. Over time Lipos start to lose capacity and it even tells me at what percentage my battery is at for a life cycle.

20190123_103853_rmscr.jpg

This is something that Parrot can and I believe should include in their FF6 App. Giving the Pilot more information about their batteries is a good thing. This information is available in my X-Star App. It gives me a lot of information about my batteries condition. Over time Lipos start to lose capacity and it even tells me at what percentage my battery is at for a life cycle.

View attachment 1028

Really nice suggestion Agustine!

MoonFly, I just added a new column in the spreadsheet (at the end) named "Number of Flights With this Battery" - It is easy to lost tracking having more than one battery but it is possible to have it - being a little more prepared before takeoff...

Reactions: Moonfly
Charged the battery the night before. According to the log file, it registered at 97% when the flight started.
Thank you very much for sharing your case! Obviously 20% is too early for a cut off!

Btw, what was the battery percentage before take off? was it 100%? - And how many days before this test the battery had the last charge?

Many Thanks & Regards
Vassilis
You were correct, Vassilag. I’ve tested two of the batteries and both went all the way down to 1%. Have one more to check bu assume it’ll go that low as well.

So it leaves open the question of what caused the crash.

Reactions: Vassilag
I'm surprised that the anafi smart battery doesn't already have a way to generate a battery health report. That screenshot has a lot of useful information.

Thank you very much for sharing this case. I didn't know that Follow me / Dynamic has the Sports settings.
I didn't know that either until after the accident, when some members here mentioned it. Hopefully it is something that Parrot include in their operating manual in the future, so others can avoid unneccessary accidents like the one I had.

I'm going to be adding my incident log entry as soon as I'm done filling out the crash report paperwork Parrot has requested. Yesterday was a sad day. I lost visual feed apx 500' away at apx 150' of alt. Brought it back since I had visual line of sight. Restarted the app, everything seemed fine untill landing. The Anafi upon touchdown on the landing pad started to "bounce" violently up and down several feet smacking itself into the landing pad followed by a hard uncommanded right bank into the grass collapsing the right rear leg causing a motor out error followed by a beeping alarm and twitching of the props. Now my right rear leg no longer makes the click noise when extended. It was a sad thing to watch.

• Wow
Reactions: Krusty Geeza
I had this happen once also, I watched it bounce up and down just like you have described. I end up softly putting my foot on it as there was no way I was going to grab it with the props spinning around. I was able to get it stopped on the ground under my running shoe. It never happened again but it sure was scary watching it bouncing up and down trying to land.

• Wow
Reactions: Krusty Geeza
Just had 2 little incidents this afternoon testing low altitude flight in my garden :

• Checked surrounding WiFi signals and opted for channel 3 (free from any neighbor).
  • Did the calibration dance for the Anafi and calibrated the SC3
  • waited until GPS signals were green and checked more than 15 GPS captured
  • Took off and flew around for one minute, turned near my barbecue always in film mode (so reeeeaaaallll slowwww)
  • Saw the Anafi drift backwards (did not touch the commands) and hit the concrete of the BBQ, with a damage to a propeller (but did not change it)
Decided to redo the same flight, but this time with the hands on the stick.
After the same process, same drifting backwards... did the full forward command and ... still drifting back and hit the BBQ (this time with a broken prop).

Tested GPS and WiFi again... no problem. No error or warning message on the screen during flight (or did not see it, will check the log...)

After a time for thinking about this ‘double drifting crash’ at the exact same place, I decided to check my BBQ with a hand compass... and found a 90° deviation of the north near the BBQ.
I made this BBQ myself 12 years ago. It is a 4 m long concrete table (topped with bricks), supported by 3 iron bars to hold the heavy table. The concrete ground is reinforced with steel grids topped with tiles (wood colors). Inside the structure I have 230 V lines for light and plugs + water tubes and a tap (it’s more an outside kitchen than a BBQ).

I will take pictures of the BBQ including the compass in situ. It is just incredible I was trapped by my own barbecue, being aware of magnetic sensors problems near metallic structures !!
I knew problems could occur near high voltage lines, in the roof or hood of a car... but gee ! It’s my BBQ !!

I am not sure I should report this to the table (nor to Parrot !)

Last edited:
Reactions: Dirk_ANAFI
Just a little update on my ‘drifting Anafi crash’ near my barbecue.
I printed arrows on a paper that represent North (red) and South directions, and glued the arrows on top of the bricks where I checked the local magnetic field with a hand compass for each position.
The picture below is the result (frightening, because my barbecue was my favorite ‘take-off spot’... now will keep clear of it !)

A few remarks :
- I also checked the left side area of my BBQ (but did not have enough arrows to stick), and it is the exact opposite pattern as the one on the right. My BBQ acts like a 4 meters giant magnet due to the metallic bars of the structure made of ferromagnetic iron (one can be seen, the oxidized brownish bar that crosses the whole length of the BBQ, note there are 3 of them in the construct... I may have exaggerated the structure and did not calculate... just made it ‘super strong’.
- I thought the tools, BBQ grids... that are usually stored under the place where I diagnosed the problem could have an impact on the magnetic perturbations, so that is the reason why I removed them from under the place and moved them on the left side far from the problem. The magnetic perturbation was still here.
- when I check the pertubation 1 meter above the area, there are no longer any perturbation. The same on the ground of the BBQ at the tiling level.
- Some areas do present a deviation of 360° with the actual north position.
- I do not explain here why I do have a 4 meter BBQ with water, electricity, plugs, lights... just remember I am French and love cooking...

Conclusion :
- I’ll check the magnetic field of the take off area (or the calibration area) before to fly... avoiding car roofs and hoods, as well as my BBQ like the plague for drone flying.
... remember bridges, some buildings, public benches... may act like my BBQ...

Last edited:
My SD card is one of those recommended by Parrot -
SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB microSDXC USH-3 A3 R170mb/s W90mb/s

And what do you know? Yesterday, as I was flying with the battery at 30%, the status 'SD TOO SLOW' appeared right next to the record button. The drone simply stops recording at this point and I had to come out from 'Fly' mode and come back in again before it would reset.

My drone, app and controller:
FreeFlight 6 : 6.5.1
Firmware : 1.5.4
Skycontroller : 1.5.0

Any idea why it happened? Like to log this as a firmware bug.

Does you've formatted the SD card in the Anafi or via PC?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seow