Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Ipad Recommendations?

rsjb41

Reaction score
Ok, from all the feedback it sounds like I might have to get an Apple product for drone use. I don't want to spend a lot of money because this would be the only thing I use it for. since I know nothing about Apple, any recommendations?

Last edited:
Apple is running very good promotion on the iPhone XR right now. Plenty big for FPV if you're not set on an iPad. Same processor as the flagship XS as well (if that indeed is the limitation creating the issues with new firmware).

Everything involves a trade off. I went with a "2017" 9.7 inch ipad. The good news is its cheap, runs freeflight well, and has a big bright screen. The bad is no built in gps, so no follow me unless you ad a garmin glo bluetooth gps (another $100). My ipad works with my Disco also.

I went through a similar thought process about 6 weeks ago. I was looking for a tablet for drone use as my Moto 5+ smartphone was a bit small for my eyes. Picked up a Apple Mini 4 at Best Buy for $249 on sale. Never owned an Apple product in my life, but I heard it ran the DJI Go 4 app very nicely. I was concerned about the lack of GPS in the Apple tablets, as a couple of functions with the DJI drones and the Parrot Anafi would not work without gps. Decided to give it a try anyway. Got everything running and started with the DJI Go 4. Very nice and smooth, no problems whatsoever. Then I ran FreeFlight 6 and to my surprise, the screen icons in FF6 were very large on the Mini 4 screen - just did not look right as compared to my smartphone. Found out that Parrot does not support tablets (at least some) with formatting and the Mini 4, although it would run the FF6 app, would have larger icons and fonts. Did not like the look as the icons and the fonts were just too large. No way to change it unless Parrot revises the App. Ended up taking the Mini 4 back and bought a Huawei MediaPad m5 tablet instead ($279 on sale at Amazon)- runs the DJI Go 4 app flawlessly and up until the latest FF6 app update, FF6 ran well also. Formatting of the icons and fonts looked great for both the DJI and Parrot apps. If you get an Apple product, get a smartphone if you want the correct formatting on your FF6 screen - formatting on the Mini 4 looks strange to me.

Reactions: rsjb41
I went through a similar thought process about 6 weeks ago. I was looking for a tablet for drone use as my Moto 5+ smartphone was a bit small for my eyes. Picked up a Apple Mini 4 at Best Buy for $249 on sale. Never owned an Apple product in my life, but I heard it ran the DJI Go 4 app very nicely. I was concerned about the lack of GPS in the Apple tablets, as a couple of functions with the DJI drones and the Parrot Anafi would not work without gps. Decided to give it a try anyway. Got everything running and started with the DJI Go 4. Very nice and smooth, no problems whatsoever. Then I ran FreeFlight 6 and to my surprise, the screen icons in FF6 were very large on the Mini 4 screen - just did not look right as compared to my smartphone. Found out that Parrot does not support tablets (at least some) with formatting and the Mini 4, although it would run the FF6 app, would have larger icons and fonts. Did not like the look as the icons and the fonts were just too large. No way to change it unless Parrot revises the App. Ended up taking the Mini 4 back and bought a Huawei MediaPad m5 tablet instead ($279 on sale at Amazon)- runs the DJI Go 4 app flawlessly and up until the latest FF6 app update, FF6 ran well also. Formatting of the icons and fonts looked great for both the DJI and Parrot apps. If you get an Apple product, get a smartphone if you want the correct formatting on your FF6 screen - formatting on the Mini 4 looks strange to me.

Great information, thanks for much!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut